Opacic confident he can shoulder Jet's workload

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
TOM Opacic is confident his shoulders can handle the rigours of the NRL, if the young Brisbane centre is handed the opportunity to replace injured back James Roberts.

Opacic, who was a revelation for the Broncos last year, is edging closer to his first-grade comeback after he was one of the stars of Queensland Residents’ win yesterday.

The promising young talent and Redcliffe centre scored a try in just his fourth game back from two off-season shoulder reconstructions.

His call-up into the Residents team proved his time out of the game has done little to harm his form and now he is ready if the Broncos need him in Saturday’s clash with Manly.

“Definitely the main goal is to get back into the Broncos side,” Opacic said.

“Cementing a spot there would mean so much to me but (Brisbane) are getting the job done at the moment.

“I guess my job now is to try to outplay them and work my way into the team ... the shoulders are 100 per cent. I couldn’t tell you what they’re thinking or what they’re going to do, but if I get the chance, I’ll take it with both hands.”

Opacic said he had not spoken to coach Wayne Bennett about a return to first grade.

He would be a reliable replacement for Roberts, who is out for the next two games with an ankle injury.

While David Mead is the favourite to come into the starting side, Bennett has been carrying one backline player on his bench for the last three games.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/58d8d570f36f5b7023017209306833bb

I'd be very surprised if he didn't get the chance. I think Mead is still auditioning for the role and is one below average game away from giving Opacic a chance.

I personally loved what Opacic did for us end of last year when he was playing. Reminded me of Reed back then. Not the quickest or flashiest player, but could run the line very well and his defense was spot on.

In my opinion, if he had not gone off early against the Cowboys, we would've won in the finals against them. Glenn replaced him as centre and then Cowboys got 2 tries on that side pretty much straight away.

I personally forgot Roberts was out which makes me nervous about this week against Manly. My first live game of this season too.

I personally loved what Opacic did for us end of last year when he was playing. Reminded me of Reed back then. Not the quickest or flashiest player, but could run the line very well and his defense was spot on.

In my opinion, if he had not gone off early against the Cowboys, we would've won in the finals against them. Glenn replaced him as centre and then Cowboys got 2 tries on that side pretty much straight away.

I personally forgot Roberts was out which makes me nervous about this week against Manly. My first live game of this season too.

Tbf, the cows went through Tommy a couple of times and put tries on because he was shot with his shoulder.

He was good for the residents, very strong In defence but I don't think he is fit enough just yet. He was blowing a bit early in the second half, although tbf to him he did have a very disrupted build up to that game that would have caught up with him. He has done fairly well in his comeback though, 5 tries in 4 games I think it is.

Watching Opacic in QLD cup, he's one of those class above players. He needs to be in the NRL, whether it's for Broncos or some other team. I'd hate for us to lose him because of Moga. Moga is one injury away from retirement or permanent qld cup career. Opacic has a bright future.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't get the chance. I think Mead is still auditioning for the role and is one below average game away from giving Opacic a chance.
Meads not auditioning for centre, he may be given a chance to play there but it's not what he is comfortable with

Meads not auditioning for centre, he may be given a chance to play there but it's not what he is comfortable with

I would think that Mead would be auditioning for any spot in the back line. center would be the only spot available at full strength (namely left center) the rest are all set in stone

I would think that Mead would be auditioning for any spot in the back line. center would be the only spot available at full strength (namely left center) the rest are all set in stone
One would think this but centre was def not thought about when coming to the club. Best to fill that position with a proper centre like Opa or Kahu who are way better options

IMHO Broncos should extend Opacic to a 10 year contract before his stocks rise

Active Now

• JayTeeM
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • BroncoFan94
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Confidor
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • johnyE
  • Jazza
  • broncoscope
  • Bongo
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • Stix
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.