Payne Haas hip drop - carry over points for 2024 - how does it all work?

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
I hate this whole 'hip drop' tackle hysteria that has been going on in the NRL over the last couple of years.
The game is going that fast... I don't understand what they expect the defense to do... anyway;

I know opinions are divided on it so I don't want to start a raging debate on it or anything like that.

More importantly; so Haas was charged in the GF, and he is going to pay the fine with early guilty plea...

How does the carry over system work (hate this as well) for 2024?
- Is this going to bite us in the arse and he can miss a HUGE game in 2024?
- I just hate that system, you almost want him to get suspended DURING the season and reset his carry over points so he is sweet for the finals, etc.
- Can someone explain in super simple terms, how its all going to work for Haas in 2024. We need this dude in the finals.

"The existing points system (2021), including carryover points, has been retired and made simpler with players issued with fines or a suspension. Every player will begin 2022 (2023) with a clean slate with player records reset on a rolling 12-month period since their last offence. Players serving suspensions from last season will be required to complete their existing suspensions."​

I hate this whole 'hip drop' tackle hysteria that has been going on in the NRL over the last couple of years.
The game is going that fast... I don't understand what they expect the defense to do... anyway;

I know opinions are divided on it so I don't want to start a raging debate on it or anything like that.

More importantly; so Haas was charged in the GF, and he is going to pay the fine with early guilty plea...

How does the carry over system work (hate this as well) for 2024?
- Is this going to bite us in the arse and he can miss a HUGE game in 2024?
- I just hate that system, you almost want him to get suspended DURING the season and reset his carry over points so he is sweet for the finals, etc.
- Can someone explain in super simple terms, how its all going to work for Haas in 2024. We need this dude in the finals.
This would be his 2nd hip drop... I think they're charged as dangerous contact.

I dont know how long the history goes for, but if carried for 12 months then his next one could be his 3rd... it only starts to hurt if his 3rd happens to be a grade 2 or grade 3.

Given NAS and JWH have picked up like 30 charges since the system started and **** all of them have resulted in time on the sidelines... it would seem like the system resets every year anyway.

JWH copped a suspension at the back end of this year because his 5th charge of the year was finally a grade 2 or something... so it's really only grade 2's or 3's that seem to result in suspensions under the new system.

Soo long as they don't have another hip drop crackdown randomly again I think it will be fine.

It's more likely the NRL with have another random crackdown on something else though, they tend to mix it up each year on how they want to change the game for a few months.

How do you guys see the tackle on Reyno in the GF? Would you rate it as a hip drop?

It definitely hurt him, and I reckon that’s why he didn’t have the game we were hoping for. Reckon he played through the pain barrier.

How do you guys see the tackle on Reyno in the GF? Would you rate it as a hip drop?

It definitely hurt him, and I reckon that’s why he didn’t have the game we were hoping for. Reckon he played through the pain barrier.

I thought it was a clear as day hip-drop. The only reason I can think it wasn't penalised is because he'd already got the ball away.

I thought it was a clear as day hip-drop. The only reason I can think it wasn't penalised is because he'd already got the ball away.

Hmmmm, a late hip drop ... Doubly worth punishment then

I fully expect the fuckwits at NRL to have some provision where it's only if they're carrying the ball or something stupid.

They'd definitely have some grey area or loophole they can pull out when the feel like it

Any other game that’s a hip drop.

there are three common elements to all hip drop tackles. one the defender grabs hold of the ball carrier with one or both hands. two they then swing or rotate their body to a position to the side of or behind the ball carrier. three they then drop the bulk of their body weight directly onto the legs of the ball carrier.

Notice how Sorensen grabs Reynolds up top, swings around on his knee on the turf without making contact with the legs to keep himself alive for the next tackle?

It was a legitimate tackle, I also agree with you Bish that it hurt Reynolds.

Active Now

• Dazza 92
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Don
  • Kev_Guz
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kman
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Turky Murky
  • Mustafur
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.