NEWS Payne Haas retracts immediate release from Broncos then

I reckon the NRL are scared shitless of taking these agents on because if they do, the agents will just manipulate their players into signing for a different code, and all of a sudden you've got an exodus of all the best players in the comp fucking off to French Rugby or some other shit because their agents are at war with the NRL.

They have a gun to the comps head because they know the NRL can't afford to lose those big names, especially now with the first grade player pool being as shallow as it is. It's FUBAR.
If Payne had any smarts at all he would be taking French lessons. But Sonny Bill would have advised him he would have to go down that track if he walked out surely.

If Payne had any smarts at all he would be taking French lessons. But Sonny Bill would have advised him he would have to go down that track if he walked out surely.
"Bonjour, plus d'argent s'il vous plaît"

I reckon the NRL are scared shitless of taking these agents on because if they do, the agents will just manipulate their players into signing for a different code, and all of a sudden you've got an exodus of all the best players in the comp fucking off to French Rugby or some other shit because their agents are at war with the NRL.

They have a gun to the comps head because they know the NRL can't afford to lose those big names, especially now with the first grade player pool being as shallow as it is. It's FUBAR.

To be honest I don't think the NRL would be worried about players changing codes. There is more money now than ever in league, and most players are playing in the NRL because they want to play in the NRL.

I would think that, if the managers have any sway over the competition, it would have more to do with the dirty little secrets that they know. The players & the clubs don't want their sordid information made public, and the NRL don't want another situation where they are forced to reprimand players and/or teams, and once again be exposed in how little they know (or can do) about any cheating. Even worse would be if it was found out the NRL knew stuff that was covered up (cough cough, Sharks were totes legit in 2016 but not 2015/2017...).

Moreover, it would be the slimiest of managers, the ones that the NRL would prefer to blacklist, that would also have the most damaging information.

To be honest I don't think the NRL would be worried about players changing codes. There is more money now than ever in league, and most players are playing in the NRL because they want to play in the NRL.

I would think that, if the managers have any sway over the competition, it would have more to do with the dirty little secrets that they know. The players & the clubs don't want their sordid information made public, and the NRL don't want another situation where they are forced to reprimand players and/or teams, and once again be exposed in how little they know (or can do) about any cheating. Even worse would be if it was found out the NRL knew stuff that was covered up (cough cough, Sharks were totes legit in 2016 but not 2015/2017...).

Moreover, it would be the slimiest of managers, the ones that the NRL would prefer to blacklist, that would also have the most damaging information.

Either way, it's a dangerous game for the NRL to play. I do believe the agents need to be put in their place, but the administration needs to be very smart with how they do that, and personally I wouldn't trust this current admin to run a democracy sausage BBQ.

9361699e-e0dd-453e-a463-d7cd297dc4ef_text.gif

Rumours are, Harry will put it on his tab...

Rothfield confirms what we all guessed, Payne's agent leaked the story to the press.

Ben Ikin:

“In the longer term we may not end up being aligned. We may not be able to get aligned with what Payne and his management want based on our salary cap position. What you have got to remember is the 16 or 17 clubs are all in different parts of their roster management cycle. Some have got more to spend than others. Others like us are trying to keep a whole stack of good young players together in the hope that we win a competition together. And the timing isn’t always right for every player.”​
“For Payne what I would say is that asking for a release effective immediately is an extreme tactic. But I also acknowledge that this guy plays a brutal collision sport in the toughest position on the field and I think we have all noticed how well he does it. How single-minded you have to be to do it as well as he does at such a young age."​
“He has been the club’s best player in the most turbulent part of its history for the last three years, so for all the things the club has done for him, he has also done for us. In this instance the course of action he took we certainly don’t agree with, but we are not going to completely write off the bloke.”​

Kent:

“There is no way the Broncos are going to pay what he wants. As Ikin referred to there, they are in a period of their cycle of cap management where they want to keep the Cobbo’s and those sorts of players. Those guys are all on the rise. There is a crop of young kids coming through who are all going to be asking for more money, including Payne Haas. They are all going to be asking for more money in their contracts. The difference is Payne Haas is already close to what he is worth on the open market, where as the likes of Cobbo you would say they are not. I don’t think the Broncos can go much higher and I don’t think many clubs will.”​

Rothfield:

“Basically all we have had is a postponement for four months. This will come up again. Instead of interrupting State of Origin, it will interrupt Mal Meninga and the World Cup team going to England because that is all Peter Badel at the Courier Mail and all of us will be writing about, what his next move is.”​
“His registered manager is Tyran Smith and it is his job to look after the player and not put him in a position where he was booed by 30-odd thousand the other night. He leaks to one journalist the soft side of the story, but he will not pick up the phone and explain to anyone why he has left that player in the position he has.”​
“It is the agent’s job to say listen, read the room Payne. If you go ahead with this you are going to look really, really bad.”​

Brent Read:

“But you can’t just point the finger at the agent. What is Haas doing? Are you saying the agent sent the email without Haas even knowing? The player has got to take some responsibility. You can’t say it all falls on the agent.”​

Only if "french lessons" is a euphemism.

9361699e-e0dd-453e-a463-d7cd297dc4ef_text.gif

Rumours are, Harry will put it on his tab...
Yo man, don't let this distract you from the fact that Hector is gonna be running three Honda Civics with Spoon engines.

On top of that, he just came into Harry's and ordered three T66 turbos with NOS, and a Motec system exhaust.

Would do a direct swap for Tino, at the end of the season we will probably have a clear idea if the rest of the team is good enough as it is and if so I think this would be the best decision.

Whatever we might lose in meters and post contact we gain in ball playing, offloads and leadership.

Having him and Carrigan in the same team would be unfair to the rest of the comp.

Would do a direct swap for Tino, at the end of the season we will probably have a clear idea if the rest of the team is good enough as it is and if so I think this would be the best decision.

Whatever we might lose in meters and post contact we gain in ball playing, offloads and leadership.

Having him and Carrigan in the same team would be unfair to the rest of the comp.
Yeh I mentioned the other day that Tino is the one we want to replace Haas. If we could make that happen I think yeh we'd have a pack to rival Penrith.

Yeh I mentioned the other day that Tino is the one we want to replace Haas. If we could make that happen I think yeh we'd have a pack to rival Penrith.
I dont think it would happen... Tino just signed a lengthy extension and is on like $800k as it is.

I think we should prioritise the middles we have and invest in the spine.

We've got Patty, Flegler, Kobe, Jensen, Willison, TC and likely more, who will need to be upgraded, retained, etc. over the next few years.

A first choice forward rotation like the below is a pretty formidable pack, if you've also got an extra $850k available to spend elsewhere

8. Jensen
9. Billy / Paix / Mozer (eventually)
10. Patty
11. Capewell
12. Riki / Piakura (I think Riki could also play middle as well)
13. Kobe

14. Paix / Mozer
15. Flegs
16. Willison
17. TC

I dont think it would happen... Tino just signed a lengthy extension and is on like $800k as it is.

I think we should prioritise the middles we have and invest in the spine.

We've got Patty, Flegler, Kobe, Jensen, Willison, TC and likely more, who will need to be upgraded, retained, etc. over the next few years.

A first choice forward rotation like the below is a pretty formidable pack, if you've also got an extra $850k available to spend elsewhere

8. Jensen
9. Billy / Paix / Mozer (eventually)
10. Patty
11. Capewell
12. Riki / Piakura (I think Riki could also play middle as well)
13. Kobe

14. Paix / Mozer
15. Flegs
16. Willison
17. TC
Listen, the Tits were dumb enough to self-harm when they signed Fifita, I'm sure we could convince them to do a swap for 'the best prop in the game' so he can be with his younger brother.

I feel Tino would be a luxury - they need to think about the spine, not another forward. We've got plenty of quality middles to make up for the loss of Haas.

When it comes to spine the areas I see that could be improved would be Walters role in hooker(Paix on the other hand is developing well and looks to be our longterm option tbh).

6 Is the other, but that could be a double edged sword because we have Ezra coming through who looks decent and Gamble is very compatable with Reynolds(plus Gamble is decent quality 7 cover for Reynolds if he is injured), if you get a high quality 6 you risk team cohesion big time and it could take away from Reynolds.

Going for Tino on the other hand almost insures even better team cohesion and leadership over what we lose with Haas.

I wonder how much of Haas' decision or intent to make a decision is based around the cash a few of his old mates are now on

TPJ's on a lucrative deal at the Dogs, Fifita is on a significant salary at the Titans, he probably has been told he's better than the both of them.. however, you only have to look at where those clubs are on the ladder to know that it's not a good career move if you actually want to win the comp

I'd 100% swap for Tino everyday of the week.
He's run for over 200m twice this season. 270 against us last week, 203 in the first half.. so metres your not loosing out much really.
Off the field he runs rings around Payne and that's what we want at our club.

Though Paynes money could be better spent elsewhere like the spine, if Mam, Mozer, Cobbo/Herbie all work out in the next few years in the spine positions having them play behind Tino, Patty, Flegs, Kobe etc would be massive.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • Skathen
  • Bucking Beads
  • pennywisealfie
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • leon.bott
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  • Browny
  • mrslong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • Maddy
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.