RUMOUR Payne Haas to re-sign with the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can't though, right? By definition third party deals aren't part of player contracts with the club.

I'm sure this figure has been plucked from thin air, regardless.

Clubs can source third party agreements, but those are included in the cap.

The details of third party agreements sourced by the player must be given to the club and the club then can get approval for it to be excluded from the cap.

For all we know, the figure here includes those.

Upload 2018 7 18 16 11 11

Payne Haas to sign record-breaking $3 million deal with Broncos

By Adrian Proszenko

18 July 2018 — 3:00pm

Payne Haas is about to sign the richest contract for a teenager in rugby league history, with the rookie Bronco set to sign a $3 million deal to remain at Red Hill.

Haas has played only three NRL games, but good judges have seen enough already to suggest he will become one of the most damaging forwards in the game.

Up to a dozen clubs were hoping to chase him when he officially became a free agent on November 1, but the Broncos are about to take him off the market with a mammoth four-year deal. The contract hasn’t been signed, but it’s understood the parties have agreed to terms.

Such is the regard he is held in, NSW and Queensland were engaged in a tug-of-war for his services before he even made his NRL debut this year against South Sydney. Phil Gould, commentating for the Nine network during Haas’ first match, said at the time: “You’re seeing the birth of a superstar.”

The Blues have officially claimed him as their own and the 18-year-old is expected to push his claims for a State of Origin debut under Brad Fittler in coming years.

The Australian Schoolboys star is one of the biggest things to hit the NRL, standing at 194cm and weighing in at 120kg. He has earned comparisons to Andrew Fifita due to his mobility and ability to bend the line.

Haas’ decision to stay put is a huge boost for Brisbane as they prepare for their run into the finals. It’s also a blow to his suitors, who believed they could build their forward pack around the youngster for the next decade.

The deal is one of considered the largest ever signed by anyone so young. Moses Suli set what was considered a record when he signed a $1.3 million, three-year deal with Wests Tigers before he had even reached first grade. However, Haas’ contract dwarfs that, with most experts believing he is worth every cent.

The massive contract comes at a time where Haas is in the middle of a long stint on the sidelines. The hulking teenager injured his shoulder in his third NRL game which has ruled him out for the rest of the 2018 season.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...f=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_nrl

Last edited:
I am glad he is about to re-sign .. but if that figure is correct and included on the cap (and i am skeptical given the way the media have reported figures in the past) then that is stupid and will completely **** up our cap

And you would be freaking out if the Broncos weren't able to retain him. You can't have it both ways. You have to pay for potential these days.

Or maybe the Broncos go the other way at some point and pay an established performer what he's worth to play here for a few seasons. Can't keep all of this potential. Milf is potential (proven), TPJ is potential (proven), Roberts is potential (at least when he came here, and now proven). A lot of potential coming through.

I’d say moving forward, the club may feel these are the lock ins and you fill around it:

1. Boyd -> Isaako
3. Roberts
5. Isaako
6. Milford
8. Joffa/Haas
9. Macca
10. McGuire->Carrigan/TPJ
11. Su’A
12. Gillett -> Fifita
13. TPJ/McGuire->Carrigan

15. Haas/Joffa
17. Fifita -> ??

Then you’ve got to fit Bird in somewhere and likely Staggs, Carrigan and Flegler, you then fill in with whatever cash is left after finding/promoting a halfback.

This side could be well off the mark but aside from Macca, Bird and Boyd, is pretty good strategy. In fact, given Macca’s relative cheapness, I’m not even against that either unless Turps sets the world on fire or someone else young and gun comes along.

The big talking point though I guess is, does this mean Oates is as good as gone?

Or maybe the Broncos go the other way at some point and pay an established performer what he's worth to play here for a few seasons. Can't keep all of this potential. Milf is potential (proven), TPJ is potential (proven), Roberts is potential (at least when he came here, and now proven). A lot of potential coming through.
The "potential" I'm talking about is the teenagers who may and most likely have big futures. You're speaking of potential that are already regulars in the lineup. Clubs have to recognize both levels and the Broncos are doing a pretty good job of that. They have to identify who they think will carry them in the coming years. Some will be lost to the club occasionally but that's life under a salary cap.

I thought Bennett didn’t pay props superstar money.

Re-signing McGuire & Gillett on such long deals might come back to haunt us at this rate...

We should do a survey, who do you guys project to be the better NRL player in the final year of their contracts?

2020 - Gillett (32) vs Su'A (23) vs Fifita (20)
2021 - McGuire (31) vs Lodge (26) vs Pangai Jr (25) vs Ofahengaue (25) vs Haas (21)

I'd say it's odds on that Gillett & McGuire are the least effective of all of those players in those years, which could very well mean that we lose 1-2 of them due to not getting a starting job.

The "potential" I'm talking about is the teenagers who may and most likely have big futures. You're speaking of potential that are already regulars in the lineup. Clubs have to recognize both levels and the Broncos are doing a pretty good job of that. They have to identify who they think will carry them in the coming years. Some will be lost to the club occasionally but that's life under a salary cap.

They are doing a pretty good job of that, for the most part. The decisions made in the next few years will determine the success of the club for the next decade. There is constant criticism of Milf's price tag, despite the lack of admission that he isn't being used to his full potential due to other areas of recruitment spending/retention spending. So this needs to be taken into consideration. This is a massive investment, based on a what if, whatever way you slice it. These types of decisions have major ramifications going forward - I have faith they are the right ones. Hopefully the Bird investment pays dividends.

For that price you almost have to start him next year next to Lodge.

And you would be freaking out if the Broncos weren't able to retain him. You can't have it both ways. You have to pay for potential these days.
Me personally? No, I wouldn't be "freaking out". Disappointed, sure. I'm happy to pay for potential, but this (if true) seems excessive relative to what we've seen of him.

For that price you almost have to start him next year next to Lodge.

you don't start a player because of their contract size ... you start a player because starting them is best for the team (Haas won't fall into that category next year, maybe even the next couple of years)

I'm choosing to believe that figure is crap, because 750k a season could buy just about any forward in the NRL except Taumalolo. And TPJ is coming off contract and is worth more than Haas at this point in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.