Penaltyathon

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Hilarious to see Gould blowing up about penalties and mocking the game. Does the guy actually listen to himself?

He was more intrusive than the refs!

I agree the penalties are a little heavy but the majority looked fair enough. Is it not incumbent on the players to actually be onside, play the ball properly, not backchat, not steal the ball or not block runners. All those pesky things Gould supposedly wants fixed when the refs don’t blow penalties..

Where was the praise for having the guts to bin a protected species?

My only issue is another didn’t go to the bin so they got the message.

NRL needs to go to the clubs and let them know to play within the rules or we will penalise you and if it happens again use the bin. Unlike other seasons we won’t give in after a couple of rounds.

Imagine how good the games will be when defences are actually 10 meters back and there are fair competitions for the ball.

Refs need to keep it up for another month. Toddlers always cry hardest before they accept that they can’t get away with it anymore...

They could explain that to the likes of Gould but short-sightedness is endemic in league and the media hangers on.

The Channel 9 analysis was so bad. "The refs are killing the spectacle of the game". They didn't present the reasons why the refs are blowing so many penalties. Thought it was just bad broadcasting.

The fact they think the refs actually reffing is killing the spectacle and not the tactics that the refs are trying to stamp out tells you all you need to know about how much these so called experts really know.

But but joey was moved to ring in at half time and he was sooooo disappointed.
Time for the refs to pay attention, we can't have a drug cheating immortal disenchanted with the reffing.

Gould was banging on about no one, "and I mean I defy anyone to tell me that the clubs were informed of anything more than cracking down on touching the ball with the foot."

Asks Flannangan about it , yes Gus they did tell us about the play the ball, and offside and holding down and slowing the ruck but we didn't expect this.

Gould was banging on about no one, "and I mean I defy anyone to tell me that the clubs were informed of anything more than cracking down on touching the ball with the foot."

Asks Flannangan about it , yes Gus they did tell us about the play the ball, and offside and holding down and slowing the ruck but we didn't expect this.

Of course they didn't expect this ... they assumed it would last 1 or 2 rounds then go back to the status quo ...

regardless about how much fans are whinging on social media, i say keep it up ... teams will eventually learn that the same shit they have been allowed to get away with in past seasons is no longer going to be tolerated ...

The NRL did make a big mistake though, dropping Klein and his mate for giving that penalty in GP of the Broncos/Tigers match... it was a penalty every day of the week and if it happened 10 mins earlier, nothing is said and the refs don't get demoted. They Tigers took a chance that the refs would be too scared to penalize during GP and it cost them (I actually think that Cleary admitted as much during the post match PC).

by dropping the refs because of that decision, they have sent a big message to all refs ... you can be sure that refs will NOW be too scared to blow a penalty during GP (unless maybe the defender decapitates someone). this goes against all there work trying to clean up the game ...

Buzz Rothfield on Twitter saying it is outrageous that Greenberg is doing this because there was nothing wrong with the game last year. Why was every column you wrote so negative then, you tosser?

Had to flick to 9 to get some post match analysis because Fox cross straight to the fucking professor. The grave look on Goulds face was all I needed to know what was coming and his "sage" advice as the winningest NSW coach ever was exactly what I expected. You toss pots have been calling for a crack down for years, it happens and you can't handle it? Also, who gives a flying **** that Goey Johns was "disappointed and upset"? Here's a tip, the issue isn't the refs!!

I just hope they don't bow to the pressure of the "outraged" media......again......and pull the refs up for doing their job. If you want to have a go at them about anything, tell them they should have sat a few more down. 30+ penalties and 2 bins is ridiculous. Especially when you take into account that one was for backchat (would love to know what he said). Sit a few down for repeated infringements and surely, it'll calm down. At least I hope so, because apart from Smith being marched that game was painful to watch.

I'm also laughing at people having a go at Slater for his performance that earned Lewis a trip to the bin while Segs was doing handstands and cartwheels in tackles to earn penalties. Obviously because of the binning, but still.

The penaltyfest is not a problem for the game as it simply will only last a few rounds. It will naturally drop down because the players and coaches will conform. Remember we were promised a ten metre line overlaid on our screens ? That was prior to last season yet they won't show it because it highlights the refs bias to their favourite teams and the varying and rubbery ten metres.

We may get it when teams get back ten and fatigue really becomes a factor which will open games up. The refs need supporting here but naturally they're just ***** when reffing the Broncos.

Love to see the coverage change with multi screen with a normal view plus wide view and more replay boxes. A 10m virtual line with traffic light type system so see green when they can legally go would change the entire game. Refs would be forced to really think about a fair 10 for everyone. Players would then be forced to be onside. More fatigue, true tens would open up the game and allow for some great expansive play.

I actually thought binning Smith was not only a great move, but the right move. I also wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was premeditated (e.g. if he gives you the opportunity to bin him, do it).
It sets a very clear precedent and demonstrates that no one is exempt.
Yes the game was boring and stop start.
But I believe the games will be better come the middle of the season if the refs keep it up and the teams respond (which I believe they will, if they have any sense).

What I would like to see from here though:
- the NRL go to the clubs, explain the first 4 weeks have been an indication of how they will referee the game, and will continue to do so;
- explain, however, that far too many penalties are being blown and it is ruining the spectacle;
- be very clear that the penalties will not continue; if repeated offences take place, players will be getting binned;
- if they continue after such time, the next player will not be coming back on the field.

Coaches and players will soon get the picture - just like the punching edict.
Fact is, they’ll either learn fast, or find themselves close to the bottom of the ladder. As a fan, I’m OK with that.
I just hope the NRL have the spine to stay strong and not buckle under the mounting pressure from the idiots in the media.

The refs need to stick at it but it would not surprise me if they cave eventually.

The players and coaches are pushing it, seeing how far the refs are willing to go, how long they are willing to keep it up for. The refs need to do it for as long as possible, even if it's the whole season.

Short term pain for long term gain.

I actually thought binning Smith was not only a great move, but the right move. I also wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was premeditated (e.g. if he gives you the opportunity to bin him, do it).
It sets a very clear precedent and demonstrates that no one is exempt.
Yes the game was boring and stop start.
But I believe the games will be better come the middle of the season if the refs keep it up and the teams respond (which I believe they will, if they have any sense).

What I would like to see from here though:
- the NRL go to the clubs, explain the first 4 weeks have been an indication of how they will referee the game, and will continue to do so;
- explain, however, that far too many penalties are being blown and it is ruining the spectacle;
- be very clear that the penalties will not continue; if repeated offences take place, players will be getting binned;
- if they continue after such time, the next player will not be coming back on the field.

Coaches and players will soon get the picture - just like the punching edict.
Fact is, they’ll either learn fast, or find themselves close to the bottom of the ladder. As a fan, I’m OK with that.
I just hope the NRL have the spine to stay strong and not buckle under the mounting pressure from the idiots in the media.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Other thing is need to watch out for square up penalties and sin bins. Got to keep the Charlie count even.

The penaltyfest is not a problem for the game as it simply will only last a few rounds. It will naturally drop down because the players and coaches will conform. Remember we were promised a ten metre line overlaid on our screens ? That was prior to last season yet they won't show it because it highlights the refs bias to their favourite teams and the varying and rubbery ten metres.

We may get it when teams get back ten and fatigue really becomes a factor which will open games up. The refs need supporting here but naturally they're just ***** when reffing the Broncos.
I watched both press conferences post game. Flanagan basically said yeah there was a lot of penalties but if that's the rules they will adapt to it, and make it a coaching directive. Gallen basically said fair enough, the refs are enforcing the rules.

Bellamy and Smith both refused to talk about reffing and basically said they can't worry about that, they're disappointed with completion rates and they'll work on improving their 10m line.

So yes, absolutely, if the refs stick to it and the NRL don't cave into the stupid media, teams will adjust and we'll have a cleaner, faster game.

Sounds like the teams were warned in the off-season about the rules being cracked down on. No need to tell them again. If the clubs haven’t worked out yet what’ll happen if they continue to infringe, then too bad, they’ll be penalised and binned out of games.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • Manifesto
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Ozired
  • broncos4life
  • Bongo
  • Santa
  • BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  • Sproj
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.