NEWS Petero predicts greatness for young Broncos giant

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Haas 180226 gt 09

Petero Civoniceva predicts greatness for giant Brisbane Broncos teenager Payne Haas

May 1, 2018

Petero Civoniceva has hailed Brisbane Broncos prop Payne Haas as a "one of a kind" footballer whose athleticism and endurance will take rugby league into a new era.

The 18-year-old had a reputation for having a huge motor for a 118kg, 194cm colossus, which was enhanced by his NRL debut against the Rabbitohs last Thursday.

Haas's 86m and 13 tackles in 21 stellar minutes off the bench was showcased by his seemingly endless search for work.

Haas is four years younger than Civoniceva was when he made his NRL debut in 1998. The Broncos legend was also much lighter.

North Queensland Cowboys wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo is 117cm and 191cm but Civoniceva said Haas's mobility for a giant was at another level.

"I would have been around 105 or 106 kilos on debut but Payne is 118 kilos, so he is an amazing athlete for a kid," Civoniceva told NRL.com.

"We speak about the mobility of a guy like Jason Taumalolo for his size, but it is going to another level now with someone like Payne Haas.

"I heard stories in the pre-season about not just his size and but also his fitness levels, and for a guy carrying over 115 kilos that is just phenomenal.

"To play the way he did against a big South Sydney pack was tremendous and showed plenty of glimpses of the huge future that he has in front of him. His carries were amazing."

Haas has said that he wants to follow in Civoniceva's footsteps.

"That is a huge compliment but there is only one Payne Haas and I am sure he is going to announce himself just like he did the other night and have a wonderful career," Civoniceva said.

"Wayne Bennett's decision to hold him back has worked out perfectly because I've seen some footage of him playing in the Intrust Super Cup, and he's dominated there.

"He's showed he's ready for an NRL opportunity now."

Haas's manager Chris Orr is being inundated with interest in Haas from clubs wanting to know whether he is on or off the market.

Orr told NRL.com that he would sit down with the Broncos before November to hopefully secure an extension on his current deal which expires at the end of 2019.

"Payne is at a very strong club with a good coach, good facilities and good program ... and he's close to home," Orr said.

"As long as there is an appropriate deal there shouldn't be any reason for him to leave the Broncos.

"At the moment I just want Payne to enjoy his footy and concentrate on that without any added pressure."

Civoniceva said the Broncos and Wayne Bennett would provide Haas with the right environment to develop long term.

"Being at a club like the Broncos, for myself, was a major factor in my success," Civoniceva said.

"It was a great culture to be part of and I think for Payne it will be great to be around the calibre of players he already is but also to have that guidance of Wayne.

"The greatest fear would be burning him out but Wayne has always done a great job with young forwards in giving them a taste, giving them an opportunity to rest when they need to and then bringing them back in again.

"Wayne is definitely the right guy to ensure his career is a successful one."

Source: NRL.com

Watch some shit eating, top 8 missing **** of a club throw 1.5 mill a year at him. Probably the bulldogs.

We know it’s coming, it’s up to our team to retain him.

**** I wish our ex players wouldnt stroke these young guys egos until they have signed the dotted line for another 4 years

Watch some shit eating, top 8 missing **** of a club throw 1.5 mill a year at him. Probably the bulldogs.

When the Broncos recruited him from the Titans and Warriors you can't really complain about interest from other clubs.

This is one of the biggest, most mobile and most skilled packs we have ever had.

We have, arguably, the 3 best young middle third forwards in the comp, an international back row, and one of the best young edge prospects in the game as back up.

We have origin level halves, a star studded backline, and the best utility in the game.

If it all clicks there is no reason we can't win the comp this year.

This is one of the biggest, most mobile and most skilled packs we have ever had.

We have, arguably, the 3 best young middle third forwards in the comp, an international back row, and one of the best young edge prospects in the game as back up.

We have origin level halves, a star studded backline, and the best utility in the game.

If it all clicks there is no reason we can't win the comp this year.

We have to, dare I say it, channel the dogs from when they made the gf. We have tackle busting freaks like Milf, Niko, and Roberts sniffing around huge units who can ball play.

Putting the leash on TPJ’s offload is dumb for that reason.

When the Broncos recruited him from the Titans and Warriors you can't really complain about interest from other clubs.
When we lose half of our players because other clubs offer our players over, we can actually complain. We've had him since he was 16. Just because the Warriors and Titans gave him $500 when he was 13 to wear their colours every so often doesn't mean he was ever theirs.

**** I wish our ex players wouldnt stroke these young guys egos until they have signed the dotted line for another 4 years

Did you miss this?

"Being at a club like the Broncos, for myself, was a major factor in my success," Civoniceva said.

"It was a great culture to be part of and I think for Payne it will be great to be around the calibre of players he already is but also to have that guidance of Wayne.

"The greatest fear would be burning him out but Wayne has always done a great job with young forwards in giving them a taste, giving them an opportunity to rest when they need to and then bringing them back in again.

"Wayne is definitely the right guy to ensure his career is a successful one."

I agree that we don't want to talk the young guys up too much and they potentially walk away, but Petero has done really well here.....talked the guy up with a potentially huge future and then followed that up with Wayne and the Broncos is the best way to get that huge future

I loved it

We'll get him signed. We've rarely lost players we've wanted to build the team around.

Some of the shit eaters like Bulldogs and Manly have severe cap pressures which you would hope would make him realise how poorly run their football departments are.

I'll get excited when he re-signs. Until then, not going to bother being hyped.

We'll be fine lads just relax, wb got dis

HOW many Weet-Bix do you do? Good luck trying to beat Payne Haas.
The rookie Broncos prop has claims to being the biggest eater in the NRL, with the 117kg monster able to devour 20 Weet-Bix in one sitting!
One of 10 siblings, Haas still lives with his parents on seven acres in the Gold Coast hinterland and sends his poor father Gregor broke by smashing Australia’s No.1 breakfast cereal.
“The boy can eat,” Gregor says with a laugh.
“Now that he is at the Broncos, they help him with a dietitian so he is very disciplined, but he is still a massive eater.
“I’ve never seen anyone eat so many Weet-Bix – his record is about 20.”
In the 1990s, former Manly prop Mark Carroll famously revealed he would eat 16 potatoes before a game, earning him the nickname “Spud”.
Weet-Bix executives could do worse than sign Haas to a cheeky third-party deal.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/36e750369fb611d32e52c4ccbebdf8e9

If his manager can’t get a deal going there, there’s something wrong.

16 potatoes jeez, the guy must have lived on the toilet.

Shame about Haas, he looked hungry to get on and then straight off.

16 potatoes jeez, the guy must have lived on the toilet.

Shame about Haas, he looked hungry to get on and then straight off.

Given the post above, I think maybe he was just hungry!

Interesting today at the BBOB lunch talk amongst forwards about Fifita. He will finish MM tomorrow and keep training with the NRL squad but Buchannan is keen to get him on the bench for Souths before the end of the season.

Thought he was really poor last week too; big game tomorrow.

Interesting today at the BBOB lunch talk amongst forwards about Fifita. He will finish MM tomorrow and keep training with the NRL squad but Buchannan is keen to get him on the bench for Souths before the end of the season.

Any chance Paix makes the Qld cup jump this year ?

Any chance next week Patrick carrigan will play for broncos?

Active Now

• Dexter
  • Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • ozzball
  • jarro65
  • broncos4life
  • Morepudding
  • Allo
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • dasherhalo
  • Johnny92
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.