Phelps smoking the reefer

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I've been waiting for Coxy to start this thread, however he must be preoccupied judging people on another internet medium.

So, Phelps snapped smoking mary jane. Will this kill his image? It can't really have an effect on his career, as he can only be tested for recreational drugs in a competitive year.

Thoughts?

He's a role model tho!!!!!

Seriously not a good look

nice try :-) it's a bad look and he's in damage control. No excuse for it and he's acknowledged as much.

It explains why he eats so much junk food.

When I become famous (we all know it's inevitable), I'm staying away from people with camera phones. You can't get away with anything anymore.

Actually, I've never touched that shit so the worst I'll get is an Andrew O'Keefe story or 30. I'm OK with that.
(Not starting a debate on what is "better" - just one is illegal and one isn't).

Andy O'Keefe didn't really suffer much negative feedback at all did he!? I was thinking about that the other day, whilst watching the Saturday Today (or whatever show he is on), the Aussie media let the little chap off cheap.

Yeah, but I think it was because the people filming it were the instigators. He wasn't abusive. He was just trashed.
You could tell the other people there were trying to get a rise out of him and actually offered him more drinks if I recall correctly.

General consensus was that people should have been looking after him, not provoking him.

Hammo said:
Andy O'Keefe didn't really suffer much negative feedback at all did he!? I was thinking about that the other day, whilst watching the Saturday Today (or whatever show he is on), the Aussie media let the little chap off cheap.

Don't think his wife did but [icon_wink

I read somewhere that FINA has recently introduced four-year bans for drug offences. Like Hammo said, he can only be tested for this in competition, but surely photo evidence and an admission of guilt would mean something? Either way, what an idiot.

who cares, its only weed. i think the bigger issue is how smug he is.

Very stupid thing to do by Phelps really. I've got no problems with marijuana personally, but when it's legal and you are someone like him it's obviously something you steer clear of.

Yeah it was stupid, but it's the first time he's been publicly seen to do something like this and he has immediately come out and apologised and admitted it was stupid and not something he should have done. Give the guy a second chance I say - he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Of course if he becomes a repeat offender then I will have a greater issue with it.

Agree Flutterby. It's not like he came out and said "oh, it's not dangerous, it's not performance enhancing, it's not as bad as cigarettes or alcohol, it should be legal, it sucks that people make a big deal out of it, dope is healthier than soy milk and lettuce...."

He didn't make excuses. He didn't trivialise it. He didn't whinge about being caught. He copped it on the chin.

Good on him.

I agree that he handled it as well as he could, given the situation he put himself in, but it's not his first idiot moment. He was sentenced to 18 months probation for drink driving a few years back.

I hope Stephanie Rice brings out a sex tape!

The Rock said:
As a result, his sponsors have had no choice but to back out and cancel the relationship with him because they cannot have a pot smoker associated with their business!

Dunno, but that seems very hard to understand for some people around here.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6636339

"In light of Michael Phelps' statement yesterday, Speedo would like to make it clear that it does not condone such behavior and we know that Michael truly regrets his actions," Speedo, which is based in Nottingham, said in a statement to The Associated Press.
"Michael Phelps is a valued member of the Speedo team and a great champion. We will do all that we can to support him and his family."
Omega said it was "strongly committed" to its relationship with Phelps, calling his Beijing accomplishments "among the defining sporting achievements in the history of sport."
"The current story in the press involves Michael Phelps' private life and is, as far as Omega is concerned, a nonissue," the company said.

His sponsors are over rated anyways.........

I've been waiting for Coxy to start this thread, however he must be preoccupied judging people on another internet medium.

So, Phelps snapped smoking mary jane. Will this kill his image? It can't really have an effect on his career, as he can only be tested for recreational drugs in a competitive year.

Thoughts?

Will it kill his career? No. The guy is a super athlete, and one cone is not going to do the slightest amnount of damage, pre-season, mid season or post-season.

Was he silly for doing it? Silly for getting caught yes, but people are people, and sometimes people like to get high. Whether it be via smoking something weed or ciggarettes, drinking coffee or alcohol or any other mindstate altering substance.

Libby Trickett again stands tall as spokesperson for Australian swimming.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 18,00.html

Good on ya Libby! It's good to know no Australian swimmer has smoked marijuana, or taken any drugs performance enhancing or otherwise.

How good does that sand look up so close?

People in glass houses and all that jazz...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the bit where she says it takes the gloss off his 8 medals??? How does toking a bong have anything to do with or take any gloss off his sporting achievements? If he had been caught injecting epo or something I could understand the comment but smoking weed is not going to improve your performance let alone the fact this was in his free time away from training and competition. I don't condone what he did but Libby should STFU.

Unread

Active Now

• simplythebest
  • Old Mate
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.