NEWS Player Ratings: Broncos v Roosters

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Paix and Haas are the only Broncos to get a pass mark in Travis Meyn's Courier Mail ratings:

1. Jamayne Isaako - 3
2. Corey Oates – 4
3. Jesse Arthars – 2
4. Darius Boyd – 2
5. Herbie Farnworth – 3
6. Anthony Milford – 3
7. Brodie Croft – 3
8. Tom Flegler – 3
18. Cory Paix – 5
10. Payne Haas – 5
11. Ethan Bullemor – 4
12. Jamil Hopoate – 3
13. Pat Carrigan – 4
14. Tesi Niu – 3
15. Joe Ofahengaue – 2

16. Rhys Kennedy – 3
17. Matt Lodge – 3

McHunt

Last edited:
I feel that’s pretty rough on Arthars. He was at least twice as good as his centre partner.

I also thought Isaako and Niu where better than 3 whilst Carrigan busted his guts all night.

The rest are hard to argue with.

Not sure how Oates got a 4.
-4 sounds about right.
Here's the explanation from Meyn:

"Finished with the most metres (109) of any Broncos player and had a crack in the forwards but he is yet to score a try this year and clearly lacking confidence. "

Oates is too high... he didn't defuse the bomb that led to a repeat set and the first try and his hitups lack any sort of impact and absolutely no sign of a quick ptb. He's meant to be our poor man's Cordner, but he's more like a poor man's Glenn on double his salary.

Herbie was more effective despite being up against Tupou in the air and having the roosters run at that side all night. Herbie actually looked better with his hitups as well.

I understand why roosters went left all night (given how young and inexperienced that side was), but I thought the left edge actually looked more disorganized.

I think the move of Oates into the forwards may have been telling and I hope he is transitioned to the forwards next week. He's not a winger anymore and Herbie is already more useful than him. Oates is also seeing no ball out on that left edge

How does Paix score a 5? Other than them having pity on him because it was his debut
50 tackles, second highest after Haas. Also second highest tackle efficiency after Haas (92.6%). His role was to get the ball to Milford and Croft. He did that. Never mind what happened afterwards. If the rest of the team hadn't been so shithouse, he'd have got at least 7. Solid debut, I thought. On par with Dearden's.

50 tackles, second highest after Haas. Also second highest tackle efficiency after Haas (92.6%). His role was to get the ball to Milford and Croft. He did that. Never mind what happened afterwards. If the rest of the team hadn't been so shithouse, he'd have got at least 7. Solid debut, I thought. On par with Dearden's.

That’s fair enough, his pass selection though was pretty shithouse. It seemed like all he could do was fire an absolute bullet pass no matter what.

Paix was rubbish to. He threw a lot of balls out of dummy half at peoples heads. Its like he had never played hooker before in his life with a lot of his pass selections. And as for the so called speed, I didn't see any of it. His dummy half dart in the final minute was like watch Macca run from dummy half.

That’s fair enough, his pass selection though was pretty shithouse. It seemed like all he could do was fire an absolute bullet pass no matter what.
Paix was rubbish to. He threw a lot of balls out of dummy half at peoples heads. Its like he had never played hooker before in his life with a lot of his pass selections. And as for the so called speed, I didn't see any of it. His dummy half dart in the final minute was like watch Macca run from dummy half.
That's a bit harsh. He looked exactly what he was to me: a pretty good QCup halfback jemmied into an unfamiliar role playing it by numbers. Those numbers looked to me like a boilerplate of Macca, except instead of slowing play with painfully gentle lobs, he overdid it with bullet passes that a couple of times were too hard. He didn't attempt to boss the opposition, or break the line, pretty much the way Macca rarely did.

I'd rate his debut as better than Macca, but less than Turpin. I saw nothing to suggest he has a future in the spine, but I'm putting that on the coach, because I suspect he was delivering as per his instructions.

I'm neither rating, nor slating, him. Only that he was the least of our problems, last night.

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh. He looked exactly what he was to me: a pretty good QCup halfback jemmied into an unfamiliar role playing it by numbers. Those numbers looked to me like a boilerplate of Macca, except instead of slowing play with painfully gentle lobs, he overdid it with bullet passes that a couple of times were too hard. He didn't attempt to boss the opposition, or break the line, pretty much the way Macca rarely did.

I'd rate his debut as better than Macca, but less than Turpin. I saw nothing to suggest he has a future in the spine, but I'm putting that on the coach, because I suspect he was delivering as per his instructions.

I'm neither rating, nor slating, him. Only that he was the least of our problems, last night.
Oh I definitely agree he wasn’t a problem last night, I just didn’t think he was on the same level as Haas and if Paix scored a 5 I think there were others who could’ve scored that as well.

Here's the explanation from Meyn:

"Finished with the most metres (109) of any Broncos player and had a crack in the forwards but he is yet to score a try this year and clearly lacking confidence. "
Oates ran for 133 metres actually. Somehow in Meyn's eyes those 133 metres on the Wing are good enough for the same '4' rating that Carrigan's 119 metres earned all through the middle earned him.

Holy shit.. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

Holy shit.. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad
Are you going to pretend that Macca was somehow better than what we saw from Paix? No way in the world. He was a proven failure.

Paix was trash last night lmao, I counted at least 3 errors that came from his poor service, 1 try that resulted from one of his missed tackles and nothing of note that came from his attack.

As I said in the post-game thread though, I just feel sorry for all of the kids in this team, there's no leadership, nobody to pat him on the bum after he makes a mistake. The person in the team who's meant to be doing that is Boyd and he's camped over in the centres literally praying that the ball doesn't come his way.

Arthars was equally as poor as Boyd. I thought Herbie competed well but both him and Jesse were pulled all over the place. Don't think really we could ask a lot more though from Carrigan,Haas and Bullemor. They all busted their guts all night. So did Flegler but he made some costly errors.

All 17 get a zero for that shit last night. Lowest I've ever felt as a fan.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Johnny92
  • The Strapper
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Dexter
  • thenry
  • Howie
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • Ondi
  • NSW stables
  • Tristan1990
  • azza.79
  • Financeguy
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.