THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m sure the guy who scrubs the club toilets is great value for money too but he’s not going to win us a premiership
Are you kidding? Billy thoroughly deserves a spot in this squad and if anyone for a minute thinks that he shouldn't have been in the 17 this year they are kidding themselves. He was the most well rounded hooker in our team. No if's buts or maybe's. Yes our hooking options have been grim this year but that does not mean that a bloke punching well above his pay grade for the year should get the sack cause fans want to project this idea of nepotism and players being hard done by upon the playing group to suit an agenda. Yeah Paix got stiffed at the end of the year but it wasn't billy he was getting stiffed for it was TURPIN.

Are you kidding? Billy thoroughly deserves a spot in this squad and if anyone for a minute thinks that he shouldn't have been in the 17 this year they are kidding themselves. He was the most well rounded hooker in our team. No if's buts or maybe's. Yes our hooking options have been grim this year but that does not mean that a bloke punching well above his pay grade for the year should get the sack cause fans want to project this idea of nepotism and players being hard done by upon the playing group to suit an agenda. Yeah Paix got stiffed at the end of the year but it wasn't billy he was getting stiffed for it was TURPIN.
I think arguing between Turpin and Billy is splitting hairs. 80+ missed tackles. Paix is a better hooker, he just doesnt have the gas tank

He annihilated the bulldogs' cap last time he left manly and has been pretty well dependent on Turbo since heading back to manly this time around.

Isn't he also a coach that just pumps information into his players, sends them individual video and wants them taking notes, etc. that didn't work so well last time we tried it with this playing group.

Tell me what good halves out there are happy being reserve halves?

Your looking at the 2nd tier or failed NRL players, Billy was pretty much our best player in that last game so you can't bring out the bullshit that he is the problem, even when we where winning on that run he was playing good.

I still think we need a Hooker but he is perfectly fine as a backup in those areas and keep pressure on the hookers to perform.

Your doing the Herbie shit again and keep repeating it till you brainwash people onto your side on it, but your really going to need painted on eyes to keep your point on this one.
I would look to see if clifford would be willing to come back north as back up. He has a much better kicking game than our other options should reynolds go down.

I would look to see if clifford would be willing to come back north as back up. He has a much better kicking game than our other options should reynolds go down.

His mental health issues are an issue. He completely fell off a cliff this season.

The price we would need to pay for him, I'm not sure we would get much value.

His mental health issues are an issue. He completely fell off a cliff this season.

The price we would need to pay for him, I'm not sure we would get much value.
I dont think newcastle has worked well for him, as it has not for many decent players that have gone there (I.e. frizzel, klemmer, ponga etc.).

There is still a decent player there with the right support (working under reynolds who has a similar game would help him). He has the capability which he has shown often both in QCup and first grade.

It is because it has not worked out at Newcastle that I think he may be attainable on the cheap/subsidised deal. Having a semi-decent half with first grade experience and a good boot on him as depth would be a big help should reynolds go down

Had some more time to think and consider now the emotion of such a disappointing end to the season has cleared...

The turnaround plan post the dire Seibold fiasco probably looked like this:

2021: Avoid wooden spoon, steady the ship, clean house
2022: Top 8
2023: Top 4

Kevvie is 1/2 (close to 2/2) so far, if he can secure a top 4 berth next year then I would think he had earned the right to keep his job. He should be given that opportunity - if only for the stability of the club and because there are no other obviously better replacements available (Or the potential replacements have serious concerns).

HOWEVER, management need to be able to see that Kevvie is lacking key skills in critical areas and surround him with the assistants and support staff he needs to succeed. Coaching isn't a simple one man job anymore, it takes a host of coaches, assistants and experts to create consistent success.

We need to be aggressively hunting (and using our resources as the biggest club) to secure top notch assistants and a backup cast that can aid the coach (whether that is Kevvie or someone else), because no coach available now (or for the forseeable future) can do it alone.

I would give Kevvie one more year with the tools to succeed and if he can make the top 4 then we are back on track... if not, then it will be time to move on, but we will at least already have a solid cohort of assistants to support the new coach from the get go.

An interesting point to note ... Kevvie was brought in before both Ikin and DD - he may not be their coach of choice and I think his future may well depend on how these 2 feel about him.

Not guaranteed: Brutal Broncos grilling to decide Walters’ fate​

anyone have access to this article from the Australian???
willing to share ??

Ben Ikin won't guarantee anyone a position for 2023, and talks about the performance review currently being undertaken at the club; Ben Ikin Says:

Asked if Walters is the coach to lead the club forward, Ikin said:

“Yes I do.

“With Kevvie, the only thing I can judge is did he win more games this year than last year and the answer is yes.

“For Kev, even though he takes the brunt of it (criticism of Brisbane’s failure to make the finals) publicly and I get that, he also signed up for that.

“If you didn’t know before Anthony Seibold what happens to you if you don’t win in Brisbane, well we all knew after that - and Kevvie is at that point now.

“But the journey we go on over this next week is not to just sit Kevin Walters down and say you didn’t do this, you didn’t do that, how are you going to get better.

“Each department, led by our CEO, will undergo a forensic review about how they performed, how they can get better and the coach’s part in that is how he will lead that.

“I’m not going to guarantee anyone their position for any length of time, it’s up to the individual to argue their case and that’s what the review process is about.

“We’re asking tough questions to get a sense of whether or not anybody in any of the key positions has the right answers to move the football program forward again.”

The Broncos football boss confirmed the player performance reviews:

“We have this silver-bullet theory in rugby league that if you kill the coach and you get a new one, it (a club’s problems) will all solve itself,” he said.

“Football programs win premierships. We want to build a world-class footy program that contends every year. The Storm and the Roosters have shown us that you can do it.

“Today (Tuesday) was player reviews and the department reviews are at the end of the week.

“The players came in and went down the Green Mile to Kevvie’s office where it starts and they bounced along from office to office where they go from the head coach to the head of performance to the assistant coaches (to discuss their performance).

“There will be questions about things that happened this year in our football program for multiple people that need answering, so that others can understand what took place.

“If you can argue your case, and demonstrate that you have learnt from your successes and failures this year and have a plan about advancing the program, then you keep your job.

“We got closer to a premiership this year. We didn’t finish where we wanted to finish, but we got closer to a premiership and the responsibility for everybody in this off-season is to build a plan to get closer once again.

“We have to keep closing the gap until we get ourselves into contender status and once you start contending, like the Storm and Roosters, there is no reason why it should ever stop.”

Ikin on the players struggling to cope with the hype after their winning streak:

“It’s one thing to manage failure, it’s another thing to be able to manage success,” he said.

“So when we won seven in a row, there’s a whole lot of people, and it happened unconsciously, we started to enjoy that success.

“A little bit of the discipline, the steel that had found its way into what we were doing week to week, prior to the winning run, started to fall away a bit, partly because we have a young squad.

“When that discipline erodes, it starts in between training sessions, then it finds its way into training and eventually it’s Friday Night Footy, you have lost four games on the trot and you think how the hell did that happen?

“Some would call it hubris, an inflated sense of self, but the good thing, if there is one good thing to take out of the finish to the season, is we got a lesson in what it takes to be a great club.”

some other info from the article:

• The club has a ruthless history of sacking coaches, with Ivan Henjak (2010), Anthony Griffin (2013) and Anthony Seibold (2020) all given the bullet after missing the finals just once
  • Walters finished with a winning 13-11 season this year. His 13 victories represented an 85 per cent improvement on the seven matches Brisbane won in his first season in charge at Red Hill in 2021.
  • The hierarchy commenced the club’s end-of-season review on Tuesday with Broncos players summoned to Red Hill for a series of one-on-one interviews with chief executive Dave Donaghy.

Ben Ikin won't guarantee anyone a position for 2023, and talks about the performance review currently being undertaken at the club; Ben Ikin Says:

“Yes I do.

“With Kevvie, the only thing I can judge is did he win more games this year than last year and the answer is yes.

“For Kev, even though he takes the brunt of it (criticism of Brisbane’s failure to make the finals) publicly and I get that, he also signed up for that.

“If you didn’t know before Anthony Seibold what happens to you if you don’t win in Brisbane, well we all knew after that - and Kevvie is at that point now.

“But the journey we go on over this next week is not to just sit Kevin Walters down and say you didn’t do this, you didn’t do that, how are you going to get better.

“Each department, led by our CEO, will undergo a forensic review about how they performed, how they can get better and the coach’s part in that is how he will lead that.

“I’m not going to guarantee anyone their position for any length of time, it’s up to the individual to argue their case and that’s what the review process is about.

“We’re asking tough questions to get a sense of whether or not anybody in any of the key positions has the right answers to move the football program forward again.”

“We have this silver-bullet theory in rugby league that if you kill the coach and you get a new one, it (a club’s problems) will all solve itself,” he said.

“Football programs win premierships. We want to build a world-class footy program that contends every year. The Storm and the Roosters have shown us that you can do it.

“Today (Tuesday) was player reviews and the department reviews are at the end of the week.

“The players came in and went down the Green Mile to Kevvie’s office where it starts and they bounced along from office to office where they go from the head coach to the head of performance to the assistant coaches (to discuss their performance).

“There will be questions about things that happened this year in our football program for multiple people that need answering, so that others can understand what took place.

“If you can argue your case, and demonstrate that you have learnt from your successes and failures this year and have a plan about advancing the program, then you keep your job.

“We got closer to a premiership this year. We didn’t finish where we wanted to finish, but we got closer to a premiership and the responsibility for everybody in this off-season is to build a plan to get closer once again.

“We have to keep closing the gap until we get ourselves into contender status and once you start contending, like the Storm and Roosters, there is no reason why it should ever stop.”

Ikin on the players struggling to cope with the hype after their winning streak:

“It’s one thing to manage failure, it’s another thing to be able to manage success,” he said.

“So when we won seven in a row, there’s a whole lot of people, and it happened unconsciously, we started to enjoy that success.

“A little bit of the discipline, the steel that had found its way into what we were doing week to week, prior to the winning run, started to fall away a bit, partly because we have a young squad.

“When that discipline erodes, it starts in between training sessions, then it finds its way into training and eventually it’s Friday Night Footy, you have lost four games on the trot and you think how the hell did that happen?

“Some would call it hubris, an inflated sense of self, but the good thing, if there is one good thing to take out of the finish to the season, is we got a lesson in what it takes to be a great club.”

• The club has a ruthless history of sacking coaches, with Ivan Henjak (2010), Anthony Griffin (2013) and Anthony Seibold (2020) all given the bullet after missing the finals just once
  • Walters finished with a winning 13-11 season this year. His 13 victories represented an 85 per cent improvement on the seven matches Brisbane won in his first season in charge at Red Hill in 2021.
  • The hierarchy commenced the club’s end-of-season review on Tuesday with Broncos players summoned to Red Hill for a series of one-on-one interviews with chief executive Dave Donaghy.
All the right things being said here. Let's see if off-season actions match. I'm hopeful.

Now we're getting the change in attitude from Ikin, the head of the football department.

Before the season started, anything less than finals was a failure. Now they're trying to sugar coat the 6 more wins we had this season.

That's concerning.

“Yes I do.

Appreciate for sharing. I sincerely hope
1. DD & Ikin cuts loose the defense coach & Kev’s assistants at a minimum and then weird out the players who don’t belong here without any hesitation.

2. Footy smart and astute assistants are head hunted to be hired asap so iterations of planning for next season commence.

3. Announce to the playing group as to who the new assistants are and that moving forward, team performance will be seriously taken and they they’ve to put their arse on the line every game.

4. This maybe a controversial one but, Once we finalize on the playing group from the current crop for next season, send them on a holiday for a week so that they develop some kind of bonding and gelling together. Once pre-season commence, install hard the “can do & must win” attitude with utmost importance on “defense”.

Now we're getting the change in attitude from Ikin, the head of the football department.

Before the season started, anything less than finals was a failure. Now they're trying to sugar coat the 6 more wins we had this season.

That's concerning.

We died in the arse spectacularly and there deserves to be significant casualties for it, but that win-loss makes every finals for the past 20+ years.

True also that we likely get blown out week one, but an almost anomaly shouldn’t spell the end for Kev just yet imo

I’d be very nervous if I was his assistants however, and they rightly should be.

Kev needs people to challenge him, without undermining his authority. If that’s not possible which may be the case going off the whole Gamble thing, then Kev may find himself in a situation

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wolfie
  • kwomo
  • Evander
  • Allo
  • theshed
  • Lurker
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • winslow_wong
  • leon.bott
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.