THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
No because in terms of results we would have gone backwards

What if it's because we lost tight games against good opposition, but have big wins against poor teams and aren't on the end of any blowouts, but still have less wins?

What if it's because we lost tight games against good opposition, but have big wins against poor teams and aren't on the end of any blowouts, but still have less wins?
Mostly the same. If we can't get up over the big teams we're wasting our time smacking the smaller ones. Close losses are still losses.

Basically he had a 45 minute meeting with the board where he presented the blueprint on how he's going to break the premiership drought and listed 3 key things as to why the Broncos shit the bed in the final rounds.

1. The players lacked the discipline to compete with the top 8 teams.
2. They lacked the mental toughness needed to be a premiership threat.
3. They got carried away with their mid-season form and thought they were better than they actually were.

He highlights fixing those to be the answer.

Interestingly, later in the article it's mentioned he has the financial scope to hire another assistant coach and he's exploring his options.
Sounds like he was called into the boss’s office to explain himself and threw his players under the bus.

Basically he had a 45 minute meeting with the board where he presented the blueprint on how he's going to break the premiership drought and listed 3 key things as to why the Broncos shit the bed in the final rounds.

1. The players lacked the discipline to compete with the top 8 teams.
2. They lacked the mental toughness needed to be a premiership threat.
3. They got carried away with their mid-season form and thought they were better than they actually were.

He highlights fixing those to be the answer.

Interestingly, later in the article it's mentioned he has the financial scope to hire another assistant coach and he's exploring his options.
I mean points 1 and 2 are practically the same thing. Point 3 is very strongly insinuating there are some problematic egos in the squad. I am very curious what or WHO the basis of this argument could be directed at?

For what it's worth, Kevvie has increased his win/loss ratio as a coach since taking over the Broncos.

Catalans: 37%
Broncos: 42%
He's on the up....!
LET'S GO BRONCOS !!!

2023 GF !!!

Partying Music Video GIF by Taylor Swift

Mid table somewhere for Kev’s Broncs.

they really aren’t a top 4 quality squad so were doing well this season to be that high. Also I suspect the Haas disruption will happen again at some point next year.

Cows out performed… Titans underperformed, so would expect similar mid table goodness for those teams… Dolphins bottom 4 but should get some memorable wins.

broncs 9th… the new tigers
Titans 11th.. they just kill their fans
Cows 8th.. key player Tommy deargun
Dolphins 13th and some salty press conferences!

CM headlines...Pat Carrigan "Truth Bomb"

whats that about....?

CM headlines...Pat Carrigan "Truth Bomb"

whats that about....?

In terms of the Broncos, nothing major. Disappointed with how he got suspended an couldnt contribute. They learned lessons from the fade out and it will make us better next year. Admits we havent accomplished anything at the Broncos yet.

He wants to improve and find a way to improve his game, doesnt want to get complacent. Wants to learn from the best forwards in the Australian team.

Not too much brutality in it.

I mean points 1 and 2 are practically the same thing. Point 3 is very strongly insinuating there are some problematic egos in the squad. I am very curious what or WHO the basis of this argument could be directed at?
Sounds like a bit of a bullshit excuse to me, shelving the blame onto the playing group rather than the coaching staff. It's directly his job to manage exactly that misconception and prepare the team each week.

If he's throwing a blanket over the team implying as a team their heads got too big, that doesn't really bear a lot of scrutiny. So let's have a stab at which players he might be blaming or scapegoating.

The most obvious candidate for being big for his boots is Tyson, but Kevvie wasn't picking him, so we can rule him out. Albert and Herbie were injured. Reynolds, Capewell and Haas might not have put in their finest performances but none could be accused of being overconfident. They were also all playing through injury. Carrigan played one loss and then sat out suspended. Oates was in the best form of his career.

Niu returned for two losses and was despatched for the season. Paix played in one loss and that was it, with Turpin and Walters intact for the shambles that ensued.

Were rookies Mariner, Mam, Hoeter, Hosking and Cobbo guilty of overconfidence? Maybe, but you'd have to be desperate to be dumping on them.

By a matter of elimination, the names that bubble to the top here are:

Staggs, Riki, Flegler, Palasia, Jensen, Turpin, Walters and Hetherington.

Narrowing it down further, it's obvious he's talking about Billy.

Not that I necessarily believe these 3 points were actually the focus but if they are the bigger issue to me is that they are all entirely unmeasurable and subjective performance areas. Discipline potentially being the exception.

How do you set non-ambiguous, achievable goals to overcome “getting carried away mid season”.

They also are entirely player centric reasons with no hint of accepting any coaching responsibility for their downfall.

This is what makes Wayne such a good coach. Endless player accounts of him coming into training after a big win and finding a flaw to rip into the team to keep egos check, or on the other side, coming into a demoralised playing group after a heavy loss joking and dancing. Kemp told a story about how he made his debut, scored a few tries, and then a low ranking club official giving him the news straight after the game that he won’t be playing next week.

This is what makes Wayne such a good coach. Endless player accounts of him coming into training after a big win and finding a flaw to rip into the team to keep egos check, or on the other side, coming into a demoralised playing group after a heavy loss joking and dancing. Kemp told a story about how he made his debut, scored a few tries, and then a low ranking club official giving him the news straight after the game that he won’t be playing next week.

the question is did he do this in the first couple of years of his coaching career (at ARL level) or did it take him years to develop that.

p.s. all of the points Kevvie made are valid ... and FYI the meeting went for 45 minutes so he didn't just give those points and walk out. "he likely" explained his plan to fix those issues.

neither BHQ nor the media were in the room for that meeting, so for all we know it wasn't just "throwing the players under the bus" as has been suggested several times on here ... he may have said those were the reason's for the fade out and took the blame (along with the coaching staff) for not fixing it in time. (as usual the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle). both the players and coaching staff have to take some responsibility.

the question is did he do this in the first couple of years of his coaching career (at ARL level) or did it take him years to develop that.

p.s. all of the points Kevvie made are valid ... and FYI the meeting went for 45 minutes so he didn't just give those points and walk out. "he likely" explained his plan to fix those issues.

neither BHQ nor the media were in the room for that meeting, so for all we know it wasn't just "throwing the players under the bus" as has been suggested several times on here ... he may have said those were the reason's for the fade out and took the blame (along with the coaching staff) for not fixing it in time. (as usual the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle). both the players and coaching staff have to take some responsibility.
I don’t disagree about Bennett’s experience - I wasn’t comparing the 2 unfairly but providing an example of how an experienced coach may have better handled it.

Kev’s 3 points are valid but I don’t think they are particularly useful. Though I did start with the disclaimer that I don’t even believe it because it seems so obvious and pointless.

If kevvie had a bigger brain then it probably wouldn’t take him years to develop a quality similar to the bloke who coached him his entire playing career, and made him the bronco with the most premiership wins in our club’s history.

Don’t get me wrong, I think kevvie deserves a shot at next year, but the more he speaks the more I think he might have some form of genetic disability, or slight retardation. Not always a bad thing btw, Phil Gould coached teams to origin AND premiership wins.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Alec
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncorob
  • Ffs...
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.