THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not saying that I believe Walters should be sacked. I dont think he should be but when you watch the Warriors they look like a well coached team they just don't have the talent at the end of the shape. Fullback and 5/8th mostly. They actually look like they have a structure. They just lack x factor. They actually are too structured imo. Brisbane needs a bit more structure but they have the talent and x factor. That would be the argument people are making.

I understand that too but they still have a fair bit of x factor there with AFB, RTS and DWZ, it isn't helping them though any more than Haas, Walsh or Mam are helping us.

I also like Webster, seems a decent coach and speaks well, very likeable. I also like Kevvie though and up until this year, he had the team improving constantly. I just want to give him a chance to write the ship, he's earned that. Even the great Bennett couldn't really do much with Newcastle. Some seasons just suck and have every go wrong, that has been season 2024 for us.

I think a long off season might be a blessing in disguise. This kind of failure surely has to teach even dumb players that talent alone isn't enough in this league, you need to listen to the coaches and put in 100% effort every week. I think with Kevvie, we can bounce back hard next year and I feel more confident in that than in an unknown coming on board.

This of course all changes if we get flogged again.

I understand that too but they still have a fair bit of x factor there with AFB, RTS and DWZ, it isn't helping them though any more than Haas, Walsh or Mam are helping us.

I also like Webster, seems a decent coach and speaks well, very likeable. I also like Kevvie though and up until this year, he had the team improving constantly. I just want to give him a chance to write the ship, he's earned that. Even the great Bennett couldn't really do much with Newcastle. Some seasons just suck and have every go wrong, that has been season 2024 for us.

I think a long off season might be a blessing in disguise. This kind of failure surely has to teach even dumb players that talent alone isn't enough in this league, you need to listen to the coaches and put in 100% effort every week. I think with Kevvie, we can bounce back hard next year and I feel more confident in that than in an unknown coming on board.

I agree mostly. I think the Warriors really struggle in finishing plays. I like RTS but I just think he has no idea where to be on the end of shape as a fullback. Very similar to CNK. I pointed it out in the game thread over the weekend. Horribly out of position in relation to his 2nd receiver and backrower. Often way too deep and teams just slide. It happens alot with CNK too so maybe that is a coaching problem with Webster but in the middle with johnson walker Harris etc they all look sharp and on a string but it goes to die once it gets wider. Who knows. I think he is decent but not a saviour.

I think it is more attitude with the Broncos. I genuinely think they thought it was just going to happen and like I have said before when you are down 10% in the little areas and you throw in sprinkling of key injuries it can just go to shit and you look more out of sync. They look like they cut corners at times on the field. Playing as individuals. Lack of focus. That's on Walters a bit too though. You have to be able to get them right and he hasn't this year but I think he deserves a chance to turn it around next year.

You see this alot. The Warriors last year and us 2 years ago are a perfect example. Sometimes you just don't work as hard and it all falls apart. I reckon the Broncos will be right back in the hunt again next year. Especially with the roster. Too much talent. If not then the coaches seat will be hot.

I agree mostly. I think the Warriors really struggle in finishing plays. I like RTS but I just think he has no idea where to be on the end of shape as a fullback. Very similar to CNK. I pointed it out in the game thread over the weekend. Horribly out of position in relation to his 2nd receiver and backrower. Often way too deep and teams just slide. It happens alot with CNK too so maybe that is a coaching problem with Webster but in the middle with johnson walker Harris etc they all look sharp and on a string but it goes to die once it gets wider. Who knows. I think he is decent but not a saviour.

I think it is more attitude with the Broncos. I genuinely think they thought it was just going to happen and like I have said before when you are down 10% in the little areas and you throw in sprinkling of key injuries it can just go to shit and you look more out of sync. They look like they cut corners at times on the field. Playing as individuals. Lack of focus. That's on Walters a bit too though. You have to be able to get them right and he hasn't this year but I think he deserves a chance to turn it around next year.

You see this alot. The Warriors last year and us 2 years ago are a perfect example. Sometimes you just don't work as hard and it all falls apart. I reckon the Broncos will be right back in the hunt again next year. Especially with the roster. Too much talent. If not then the coaches seat will be hot.

Nice post and I also agree some of this is definitely on Walters too, I just don't think he deserves the level of criticism he gets. Absolutely though, like the players, he needs to improve but I back him to do so.

I'm not being disparaging at all, I'm simply pointing out that posters calling for Webster to coach us are missing the facts. He hasn't done any better / marginally better despite having much better depth than us this year, bringing in two star players in RTS and Capewell but also coping with injuries.

Why does he get a free pass AND get seen as a saviour but Kevvie is seen as not good enough, throw him out with the bath water?
I think there is ample evidence to show Kev has some obvious short comings. He was the bridesmaid from the get go. He’s had a good dig but the slide in 2022 and the avalanche in 2024 with no real system in place after four years are facts that cannot be ignored.

I think there is ample evidence to show Kev has some obvious short comings. He was the bridesmaid from the get go. He’s had a good dig but the slide in 2022 and the avalanche in 2024 with no real system in place after four years is facts that cannot be ignored.

I don't disagree but I wonder if the system is actually there but the effort isn't? It has been tough because Walters hasn't really been in a position to drop blokes this year due to the roster struggles we have had. The players have clearly not been working hard enough on the field or the training paddock.

I don't disagree but I wonder if the system is actually there but the effort isn't? It has been tough because Walters hasn't really been in a position to drop blokes this year due to the roster struggles we have had. The players have clearly not been working hard enough on the field or the training paddock.
Before injuries we had the US game in Vegas. We were god awful and then went from bad to worse when we lost one player to injury. If we had a system inplace then to play to it would have been apparent. Unfortunately it was apparent we had nothing at all.

You're not on board the 'You'll watch the Panthers win another premiership and you'll like it' or the 'Maybe this time the Storm are the lesser of two evils' movements?
Maybe this year can be the who let the dogs out movement. But look at the top 3, it’s the nrl dream come true.

I think there is ample evidence to show Kev has some obvious short comings. He was the bridesmaid from the get go. He’s had a good dig but the slide in 2022 and the avalanche in 2024 with no real system in place after four years are facts that cannot be ignored.
This is the issue. Even during 2023 when discussing Broncos with my mates we all said we would like to see more tries created through constructed play. We were in quite a few close games during 23 and got out of them late with kicks or individual brilliance.
It's not a concern when you keep doing it and win but when things aren't going your way you have to be able create space with your structure.

Maybe this year can be the who let the dogs out movement. But look at the top 3, it’s the nrl dream come true.
**** that... if Broncos aren't going to be competitive then this stupid Sydney comp deserves to have Panthers continue to run a train on it.

Just to change tack slightly ... at over 5000 posts and within sight ot 300 pages, would this thread be by far the longest in the 25+ year history of BHQ ??

Before injuries we had the US game in Vegas. We were god awful and then went from bad to worse when we lost one player to injury. If we had a system inplace then to play to it would have been apparent. Unfortunately it was apparent we had nothing at all.

I knew Vegas was going to be a distraction, you could see the players were just treating it as a free holiday with some mates rather than the start of the season. I have no doubt their minds definitely weren't on the job in the off season leading up to the trip.

Despite some ok wins early on it feels like we've been under prepared, way off the pace and trying to play catch up all season.

I think the assistants leaving is a good thing. We need a shake up. I think it is either a case of the voice being stale or a case of when we looked good it was individual brilliance that made the assistants look good.

With the talent in the team some good assistant coaches should be able to have them humming. Kevvie should be doing man management and morale and we need top assistants to do strategy and game plan.

Indiana Jones Conspiracy GIF

Chicken and the egg that one. Whose job is it to make the players work hard?

I think the assistants leaving is a good thing. We need a shake up. I think it is either a case of the voice being stale or a case of when we looked good it was individual brilliance that made the assistants look good.

With the talent in the team some good assistant coaches should be able to have them humming. Kevvie should be doing man management and morale and we need top assistants to do strategy and game plan.
The assistant exodus should be enough to stave off Kevvie's execution. They can take the fall. Unless they're leaving because of Kevvie being too [your theory goes here]. In which case, over to you Dave Donaghy.

Yes, he was clearly pointing the finger at Kevvie without saying his name.

All this talk of superstars working on their solo albums and not giving their material to the band, is code for not having control of the dressing room.

Maybe this is what the Broncos needs, and has always needed: someone who can reign in the egos. We have the talent in spades. It's not that. But they're not playing as a team.
Who knows who that is. Not many coaches have the pedigree some of our players do. It would be hard for almost anyone to walk in now and tell Reynolds, Haas or Walsh what to do.

It can’t just be any old Anthony Griffen

Active Now

• marw
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • Robboi_321
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • davidp
  • jd87
  • Galah
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • johnny plath
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.