THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just about every game day thread on reddit has had a consesus of us being a dumb and poorly coached team.

Love Kevie, but that 23 grand final appearance may have been a fluke and we might be paying for it for another couple of seasons.

It's a good thing Broncos fans don't suffer.

He has taken them as far as he can, he’s had his shot & done his best. Whatever way you spin it, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s had two of his players question his coaching ability publicly. Particularly considering former origin players have said similar things in the past from his time with qld.

The club needs to decide if it wants to sit on its hands and let this squad waste yet another year or pull the plug. I suspect that given the cowards leading the club they will wait as long as possible and hope he hangs himself rather than fight the PR battle with the loudmouth old boys.

Kevvie strikes me as the type of boss who asks for something to be done by close of business Monday but you know you can get it done Tuesday lunchtime with no repercussion.

From seeing him in his playing days and media/coaching i dont think the hard edge approach comes natural to Kevvie, but occasionally the cranky style comes out when he gets fed up with a line of questioning during a media huddle. A question from Lara Pitt earlier in the year springs to mind and a few times with the likes of Dobbo.

I still think he should get a chance to learn from this year and be given next year to turn it around. Its just a shame that the playing group (except Pat and a few other exceptions) need to be coached to work hard and be smart during a game rather than it come naturally.

Let's try to look beyond this (small) fish fry for a moment.

It's probably a reasonable intuition to view the Yankee NFL franchises as the best financed, best run, most professional, most exacting with regard to talent evaluation and (definitely) least forgiving-of-failure pro sporting organizations on the planet. Along with the premier soccer clubs like Man C, Barce, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc.

And yet they too sometimes run into these very same issues, e.g. for your viewing pleasure:

Okay, back to ripping KW ..

Forget the finals. The rest of the season is about Kevvie avoiding the boot.

Here's the card:

Kevvie vs Des
Kevvie vs Todd
Kevvie vs Trent
Kevvie vs Wayne
Kevvie vs Craig (boss level)

Forget the finals. The rest of the season is about Kevvie avoiding the boot.

Here's the card:

Kevvie vs Des
Kevvie vs Todd
Kevvie vs Trent
Kevvie vs Wayne
Kevvie vs Craig (boss level)
Trent would want to be careful of looking to promising, might cost him a job.

One thing I've been wondering about.
If Cobbo was so distracted about his off field stuff he barely turned up on Saturday how did he get through a week of training with nobody noticing he was off.
That's weird.

Let's try to look beyond this (small) fish fry for a moment.

It's probably a reasonable intuition to view the Yankee NFL franchises as the best financed, best run, most professional, most exacting with regard to talent evaluation and (definitely) least forgiving-of-failure pro sporting organizations on the planet. Along with the premier soccer clubs like Man C, Barce, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc.

And yet they too sometimes run into these very same issues, e.g. for your viewing pleasure:

Okay, back to ripping KW ..

Sure but they are all in a professional environment where they can far outspend there competitors and move on contracted players with absolute ease. We are in an environment where that’s not the case and coaching changes and pre-seasons are really your only two ways of overcoming your shortcomings.

I don’t want Kev gone for a second but I do expect a lot better than this. I can acknowledge that everything has gone wrong this year but the footy on display has been rank almost always. Shithouse defence, bog average fitness, clueless attack, poor selection of players at times. It’s not good enough. I think we probably have a bit to much money tied up in to few players personally. When you pay the money for the likes of Ezra, Walsh and Cobbo they have to be on consistently. I’d be cutting Selwyn loose and using that money to rebalance the side, get a quality halfback and improve the depth. Kobe is probably another one on my chopping block if he doesn’t pick up his act.

One thing I've been wondering about.
If Cobbo was so distracted about his off field stuff he barely turned up on Saturday how did he get through a week of training with nobody noticing he was off.
That's weird.
I've said before he has been this way for the last 6 weeks or so. He has been rag-dolled by opposition on a consistent basis and if I noticed it surely the coaching staff did too.

He was long overdue a rest and re-set and when Billy dropped him for game 2 of origin there were sure signs then that something was amiss.

I've said before he has been this way for the last 6 weeks or so. He has been rag-dolled by opposition on a consistent basis and if I noticed it surely the coaching staff did too.

He was long overdue a rest and re-set and when Billy dropped him for game 2 of origin there were sure signs then that something was amiss.

He’s in his 4th year of NRL, played at origin & test level as well as a Grand Final.

This narrative of him needing mid season siesta’s needs to end.

Next year, assuming he’s still with us maybe he opts out of the Origin series and the $30,000 pay packet that comes with it. Few more early bed times and longer sleeps should help him turn up the broncos.

He’s in his 4th year of NRL, played at origin & test level as well as a Grand Final.

This narrative of him needing mid season siesta’s needs to end.

Next year, assuming he’s still with us maybe he opts out of the Origin series and the $30,000 pay packet that comes with it. Few more early bed times and longer sleeps should help him turn up the broncos.
I’m not saying he needed a rest because he was not up to NRL standards I’m saying he was injured and was being needled to try and keep him on the field when what he needed was proper rehab.

Sure but they are all in a professional environment where they can far outspend there competitors and move on contracted players with absolute ease. We are in an environment where that’s not the case and coaching changes and pre-seasons are really your only two ways of overcoming your shortcomings.

I don’t want Kev gone for a second but I do expect a lot better than this. I can acknowledge that everything has gone wrong this year but the footy on display has been rank almost always. Shithouse defence, bog average fitness, clueless attack, poor selection of players at times. It’s not good enough. I think we probably have a bit to much money tied up in to few players personally. When you pay the money for the likes of Ezra, Walsh and Cobbo they have to be on consistently. I’d be cutting Selwyn loose and using that money to rebalance the side, get a quality halfback and improve the depth. Kobe is probably another one on my chopping block if he doesn’t pick up his act.

I'm not having that, it's not the Fitzy we all know.

F***en get stuck into the c***s.

Not really true, it appears the NFL - far from being some sort of bastion of the robber baron culture - has actually had a salary cap scheme in place for nearly 30 years: currently around $255M per 53-man club roster. I had thought the top soccer leagues like the EPL, the Bundesliga, La Liga etc. were pretty much free-for-alls, but it appears they too will be implementing caps.

(BTW, did you see in the last minute or so of the linked vid, that fellow's spray on his head coach, from the sideline, in semi-public view ? Now Selwyn, that's how to do it ...)

The thing is that even all that is no insurance against long droughts, there are several onetime NFL powerhouses that then went up to 30 years without further championship success; then too there's the case of Man U drifting back to the pack after Ferguson's departure (sound familiar?).

I guess the message for clubs like Melbourne and Penrith is to appreciate the present success because nothing lasts forever, as those same winds and currents of circumstance that delivered the right people through the door in the first place can also shuffle those cards again at any time without notice.

Back to the Red Hill ranch, it's as if an organization that started out as a footy club on a mission to win titles but had the attributes of a business, then started, sometime around Bennett's (first) departure in '08(?), to morph into a business with some of the attributes of a footy club. I wonder just where and on what the Board's attention has been principally devoted.

Well that's enough of my speculative rambling.

The old boys really ought to shut up if they want their mate to keep his job. Whenever they come out in the media and start pointing the finger at a player, or players, all they will be hearing is kevvies mates deflecting for him. They will end up completely alienating the players from the coach. We have been through this old boys rubbish before, Staggs made reference to it only the other day, so it’s obviously still fresh in their minds, it won’t end well.

Agreed. The Old Boys need to shut the **** up. They did the job back in the day, unlike our present day. Great, enjoy our love and admiration while letting the current guys try to win something. Chris Johns, Corey Parker, Gorden Tallis, your opinion means **** all now. Been nothing but a hindrance.

Agreed. The Old Boys need to shut the **** up. They did the job back in the day, unlike our present day. Great, enjoy our love and admiration while letting the current guys try to win something. Chris Johns, Corey Parker, Gorden Tallis, your opinion means **** all now. Been nothing but a hindrance.
I can't agree with this.

The Broncos are a CLUB. Players future, past and present are the club's primary asset. As past players their opinions matter, at least as much, if not more, than anyone else's. They don't get to dictate to management, but they're welcome to share their views. And that includes Corey Parker, a past captain, even though he is universally loathed.

I would be disappointed if the Kevvie era intake of old boys didn't have his back. These were our golden years. They want to relive them and bring them back. More strength to them.

That said, you're right in that it's destined to end in tears.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • scobie
  • Mr Fourex
  • the_next
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Griffo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.