THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
‘Not how a rugby league team should run’: Former Broncos staffer’s insight into Kevvie’s culture

Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, joined Bill McDonald on 4BC Mornings to discuss how the Broncos culture under Kevin Walters is very different compared to when Wayne Bennett was in charge.
Burgess said under Kevvie’s leadership there were too many coaches, with almost a specific coach for every player and their gym looked more like a hairdressing salon. He said Kevin Walters’ coaching style was very much ‘his way or the highway’ and that you cannot compare him to Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire or Craig Bellamy.

Thoughts?
So as I said a few pages back Kev personality is an issue, having thin skin, stubbornness and paranoia. Ben Ikin was forced out due to Kev obviously wanting to own recruitment (to save his son) and likely because Ikin was being talked about in the press as being part of the success.

We also have a club that is pampering our players from the sounds of it. The results seem to show that the best facilities don't result in the best on field performance. We need a hard edge somewhere in this club and the more I think about it Mage needs to come and I am prepared to lose some players over it. The place is obviously run by the players who haven't earned the right to act the way they are.

Bennett probably missed the top 8 like 5 times maybe in 30 year?
Kev missed it 3 out 4
Why we wasting our time with him
I would love to win a premiership with Kev but I don’t think it’s going to happen

I'm definitely not Billy's biggest fan, but he could absolutely be utilised better and kept in the 17.

He could easily be your take the sting out of the game hooker for the first 20 mins until you bring a Mozer on with better service against a slightly more tired pack. That's a strategy that's been used many a times successfully by good teams. My issue is we burn 2 subs taking Billy off as more often than not he comes back on to finish off the game.

Even as a backup 6 he has squad value when needed.

To think flicking him would instantly solve many problems is crazy.
Everything you say is correct. If Kev used Billy the way he should be used (utility) off the bench, then yeah keep him. But there were games this year where it seemed Kev was attempting to not deploy Mozer in order to have Billy on the field. The coach is to blame here because he is letting his personal relationship effect his professional decisions.

Billy would follow off alot of what Bellamy does as coach and the Melbourne's environment is amazing. That's alot better direction and leadership that our clubs need more of.
You’re aware that Kev spent time working under Bellamy.

Who do you think choose Teo or Trent for that matter? Were they Kev selections?
I was made to believe all signings like that are decided with a panel of DD, Lockyer and Kevvie atleast on the playing side, unsure if there is one objection of the 3 it still goes ahead though.

I was made to believe all signings like that are decided with a panel of DD, Lockyer and Kevvie atleast on the playing side, unsure if there is one objection of the 3 it still goes ahead though.
If that’s still the case with players than Lockyer can go too

If that’s still the case with players than Lockyer can go too
With players it's different because that panel isn't doing the leg work on it, there would be our recruitment selling it to them.

and for that I would say the two most important individuals would be the person spotting the player to pick and the coach(Kevvie judging their character to fit the team).

There's been some cooked selections in origin, no doubt about that. But what was demonstrated by Slater was a game plan in attack and defence. I can't recall a game plan under a Walters team outside of adlib footy in attack. What you can guarantee with a Slater coached NRL team is an emphasis on the basics and fundamentals. I think we can both agree that Walters hasn't emphasised that this year.
Sounds like he’d be a good assistant then. Get him working with walsh on a regular basis.

Who do you think choose Teo or Trent for that matter? Were they Kev selections?

Staff are 100% coach's call.

I would assume though someone does some sort of diligence and checks the coaches' call didn't murder three people in WA and can coach.

Everything you say is correct. If Kev used Billy the way he should be used (utility) off the bench, then yeah keep him. But there were games this year where it seemed Kev was attempting to not deploy Mozer in order to have Billy on the field. The coach is to blame here because he is letting his personal relationship effect his professional decisions.
or the coach is doing mozer right by limiting his work load and easing him into first grade.

Staff are 100% coach's call.

I would assume though someone does some sort of diligence and checks the coaches' call didn't murder three people in WA and can coach.
surprised we don't chase too many cup coaches , seems to be majority ex players .

Bennett probably missed the top 8 like 5 times maybe in 30 year?
Kev missed it 3 out 4
Why we wasting our time with him
I would love to win a premiership with Kev but I don’t think it’s going to happen

If you compare something akin to apples with apples though, the team that Bennett took over coming from as far back as Kevvie was Newcastle and look how 'well' he did there.

or the coach is doing mozer right by limiting his work load and easing him into first grade.

Yep !
He looks good when he has the ball .
Looked particularly ordinary last week in defence once the attack changed direction . Let in 2 tries .
Now teams know what to do to get past him , he will see plenty more of it . This preseason he has home work .

Ezra / Mozer / Piakura all have weakness if the attack is not straight at them .
Front on all very good , but run some angles and there are chinks in their armour .

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.