Poms Drop 50-Over Cricket.

• Thread starter Major JW Hochstetter
  • Start date
I don't really care tbh I prefer Test matches.

gUt said:
Beads6 said:
I don't really care tbh I prefer Test matches.

+1

+2

Hell, I'm even considering getting a ticket to one day of the Australia-West Indies test in Brisbane. Haven't been to a day of test cricket at the Gabba for 15 years...would love to.

I hate the short format as it relies too much on luck or just an good/bad over or 2 to decide the match.

The 50 over games are fun to watch for the first and last 10 overs the rest they just tap the ball around for singles.

Test cricket is decided by those that play the hardest for the longest.

Browny said:
I hate the short format as it relies too much on luck or just an good/bad over or 2 to decide the match.

The 50 over games are fun to watch for the first and last 10 overs the rest they just tap the ball around for singles.

Test cricket is decided by those that play the hardest for the longest.

And those that can hang tough against adversity, those that can get a bad call go against them and not lose their heads.

I love ODI!!

In fact, I love all forms of cricket, but I'm not down with the dropping of the 50 over game. I hope we don't do it here. There's something nice about just having a quick one days worth of cricket. Especially in Summer - what would we do here without the classic hot summers night in front of the TV watching a day nighter?

I too, wouldn't mind dropping into one of the test days this year. Would love to take the kids too but a shorter game is better for them. Mr BB took our 8 yr old son last month to the Aus A v Pakistan A 20/20 and he loved it. But that was probably the right amount of time for him.

Typical poms, they can't hack it so they take their bat and ball and go home.

20/20 is rubbish.

bronco_babe77 said:
I love ODI!!

In fact, I love all forms of cricket, but I'm not down with the dropping of the 50 over game. I hope we don't do it here. There's something nice about just having a quick one days worth of cricket. Especially in Summer - what would we do here without the classic hot summers night in front of the TV watching a day nighter?.

Agreed. If we dropped ODI's here I would nearly give up on cricket all together. I love Test Match cricket more than any other form but also absolutely love watching a good 50-over run chase on a hot summer's night. Some absolute classic matches growing up, with the best one being the classic between Australia and New Zealand in the 01/02 season. NZ made 245, and had us absolutely on the ropes at 6/82, before Michael Bevan lead the recovery with help from Shane Warne and Brett Lee and win it in the last over. The great Andy Bichel hitting the winning runs [eusa_clap.gi It was an absolute classic, and I am yet to see anything even close to its epicness in the 20/20 format.

I don't care if its the future of the game or whatever, 20/20 is absolute crap!!!

I tend to agree. I've tried to embrace the 20/20 format but it is pretty darn lame. One Day Cricket all the way. icon_smile

Jeba said:
bronco_babe77 said:
I love ODI!!

In fact, I love all forms of cricket, but I'm not down with the dropping of the 50 over game. I hope we don't do it here. There's something nice about just having a quick one days worth of cricket. Especially in Summer - what would we do here without the classic hot summers night in front of the TV watching a day nighter?.

Agreed. If we dropped ODI's here I would nearly give up on cricket all together. I love Test Match cricket more than any other form but also absolutely love watching a good 50-over run chase on a hot summer's night.

Agree with that. Though I just have concerns with excessively long ODI series. Like this 7-match series with England starting soon. Gah!

I know the old 3-way tournament in Australia was much maligned, mainly because of the matches not involving Australia attracting bugger all people and ratings, but at least it held some interest.

Generally I think 3 match series should be sufficient. Once it's 5+, if one team wins the first 3 the last 2 games are pointless.

Test cricket reigns supreme however I do enjoy the odd 50 over game here and there. I detest 20/20 cricket and find it pretty uninspiring to watch.

Problem I find with a lot of 20/20s is it all comes down to the first 5 overs of each innings. If you lose a few wickets you've got bugger all chance of getting a decent total and the game is over.

At least with ODIs there is the potential to fight back after a bad start. Albeit, the middle 20-30 overs is often ridiculously boring.

Thats the thing I hate about 20/20. You know the result only 5 overs in. Worst form of any sport in the world.

Nothing like getting on the piss watching an ODI on a summers afternoon/evening.

20/20, might aswell make it 5/5, and for one over the fielding team can have a tackler.

Sabu_2008 said:
Nothing like getting on the piss watching an ODI on a summers afternoon/evening.

20/20, might aswell make it 5/5, and for one over the fielding team can have a tackler.

Another good point there. IMO 20/20 will die in the arse pretty quickly as people start to get over it. What do they do then??

Jeba said:
Sabu_2008 said:

Another good point there. IMO 20/20 will die in the arse pretty quickly as people start to get over it. What do they do then??

Got sick of it during the IPL with something like 20games for the tournament. Too much at once, I like the odd games to start the one dayers but it gets old

I don't really like 20/20 either but like it or not, it's going to be the vehicle which allows cricket to expand to new markets.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.