Possible Broncos Nines tournament team

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
After 4 years the All Stars concept felt on the wane, it's a good idea to try something different but you're not going to see the 9 best players from each club..

..which is a damn shame because that would be SMASHING!!

Storm's Big3 against Inglis/Burgess Bros?? Yes please!

Not to mention the room for the speedsters to burn it up...we'd need a couple to be competitive though..

A

azza

NYC Player
Jun 30, 2013
..which is a damn shame because that would be SMASHING!!

Storm's Big3 against Inglis/Burgess Bros?? Yes please!

Not to mention the room for the speedsters to burn it up...we'd need a couple to be competitive though..

Yeah, this is what I was thinking about when I created this thread, imagine if everyone put their best in. The comments do make sense though. Completely forgot about Kahu and Yowie too. If it does indeed turn into a reserve grade comp, might be good to give him a run if hes all good.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
This doesn't interest me in the slightest TBH - just another gimmick. But then, I guess I'm not the intended audience.

I hope we don't risk any of our 'stars' for some meaningless games. You get more value out of playing in a trial match.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
hodgo's already said he wont play, but thats a given.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Brad Thorn wanted to play for the Broncos in next year's Nines tournament. Seems like everyone was happy to see it work except for his coach at the Highlanders

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Thoughts? It would've been great to see him go round again in our colours. At 39 I don't know how effective he'd be. All depends on how serious it's taken by us and the other clubs

On a side note: the man must a robot. Or the beginning of a new superhuman race

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I really don't care about this comp enough not to just have him in our side, regardless of how good he'll be. He's a legend.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I think Taylor with touch background would be good. Copely and yow yeh should get a run to build match fitness. Apart from that my only other preference is the mobile back rowers eg gillet Glenn and oates. If he wasn't broken so often id actually put thaiday in frf. He is very mobile for one. But instead probably hala and Kennedy for match fitness.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
What Broncos players have a lot of touch football experience? Watching the Rugby 7s, I don't think we could name any big/slow forwards and have a chance to win. I used to play touch footy with Ben and Marmin Barba and their cousin and they were unstoppable.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Josh McGuire played a lot of touch football and went alright I heard.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
What Broncos players have a lot of touch football experience? Watching the Rugby 7s, I don't think we could name any big/slow forwards and have a chance to win. I used to play touch footy with Ben and Marmin Barba and their cousin and they were unstoppable.
Yeah Rugby 7s don't even use proper players most of the time - just the fastest, fittest people they can find. Gillett, Glenn and Oates should probably be the only forwards we use. The only reason to pick a bigger forward would be if they were somebody who can't be brought down one-on-one, and we really don't have that kind of player. It should be interesting to see how seriously clubs take this, because while it's still only a pre-season hitout the prizemoney is massive.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Remember it is 9s, not 7s, so there will still be some semblance of defence...

A

azza

NYC Player
Jun 30, 2013
Probably would be a good time to show us what Taylor or Strasser has aswell. Any word on when this will be exactly?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Probably would be a good time to show us what Taylor or Strasser has aswell. Any word on when this will be exactly?

Feb 15th and 16th apparently. 9 minute halves. Not exactly something to test players.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Feb 15th and 16th apparently. 9 minute halves. Not exactly something to test players.
Might be the only time Griffin gives Hala a full half.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Depending on the format they probably have to give 3 pool games to every team plus quarters, semis and the grand final. Which would be 31 games in 2 days during the hottest month of the year with players lacking match fitness. I don't know what kind of game length you were expecting but anything longer and the schedule, game quality and risk of injury/exhaustion goes to hell. Union sevens only play seven minute halves for the record.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
For sure, Art. Doesn't make it any less foreign though. Luckily, NZs summer is closer to our May. Nine minute halves are no shock to me, I'm simply unsure how to imagine it. The whole thing seems a little wacky.
I reckon it'll somewhat resemble Toyota Cup, but with players people will recognise.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008

I would hope it would still give the opportunity to see if a prospective half has vision, ball playing ability, etc.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • Jedhead
  • ostin86
  • mrslong
  • Browny
  • Battler
  • rj9
  • RolledOates
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.