Post Bundaberg Trial Match - Broncos vs. Cowboys

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I thought there were some real standouts that we expected and some others that surprised.

We Milford, Nikorima and co played well but some surprises were Seve and Ese'ese, just loved what they showed off during the match.

Eden looks like the sort of player if you could get the errors out of his game he would be a real diamond, made some real nice attacking touches from fullback. Mixed bag defensively at the back.

Wayne doesn't like errors though, so I can't see him getting picked until he fixes that up.

Couldn't see the game ... But what did people think of the performances of:

Whitchurch (because he was apparently in the frame for rd1)

Esese
Eden
Roberts
Seve

I thought there were some real standouts that we expected and some others that surprised.

We Milford, Nikorima and co played well but some surprises were Seve and Ese'ese, just loved what they showed off during the match.

hey dd, did herman go good?? i rate him very highly but missed the game?

Whitchurch bombed his chance bad.
Roberts did ok but the track wasn't really suited to him.

Definitely, I'm just saying the potential is there, hard work can correct those errors.

hard to say i guess... vid quality and mud pit really burnt my pubes

wadell i think has the qualities bennett looks for in mccullough... which means should he ever see 1st grade action, BHQ will do a job that the joker would be proud of in gotham

berryl seems sharper but dunno if the conditions or occasion (if you could call it that) got to him but the difference between them 2 even with hunt compared to when nikorima and milf combined was epic.

roberts, milf, nik. geesuz hunt will be lucky to see another dally m point this year!! love it

Seve might really be onto a chance, bennet might want to keep him in the cooker for a year but damn he's got the tools, if he can his head on right i dare say with a shuffle reed or maranta might have to call copley for a gig by next year

whitchurch i just cant say - silly handling errors show he'll need a maranta like period of time investment to get his confidence up and even then we're looking at someone reliable. could be handy but you cant have 25 james roberts' i guess... hope that news.com.ay article in the week wasnt an inside read into anything into the early rounds. if we cant get anderson or seve than at least opacic please!

same token eden.. he made boyd look average with some of the sweeping backline moves, but then would spill / be in the wrong place just brain fart. conditions maybe.. i dunno. doesnt sound to me like he's ever gotten used to the aussie conditions and then he gets a run here of all places and for fucking what!!?!?!

one of our fowrads looked great! sorry cant say who for sure lol... caller said fai but i dont trustthat **** as far as the ground announcer could throw him, might have been ese'ese

parker was so solid i just dont think this guy is gonna die ever let alone retire

wallace might yet make me eat my words, still give less penalties than thaidy haha, but always ALWAYS a token... but showed solid hits and afew good tackles but the opposition pack made that hard to guage.. hannant was solid but barely saw him run it in the middle?

real disappointed mcguire wasnt about, hope his head is on straight for whenever he gets a gig

other than that could barely make anyone out lol

ponga is really something for them. hannant made a good tackle but seemed wide alot on my little video feed

always curious what bennett says at half time LOL

Esese
Eden
Roberts
Seve

Whitchurch was pretty average, making silly errors, but he did score 2 tries. IMO he shouldn't be selected for round 1.

Ese'ese was brutal and showed some great passing and offloading skill.

Eden was rocks and diamonds, one minute setting up a try, the next dropping the ball.

Roberts played well in the conditions making a break and a half breaks, while scoring a try off a kick.

Seve was great showing good speed, strength and finishing ability.

hey dd, did herman go good?? i rate him very highly but missed the game?

Herman was great and it looks like he could be selected round 1. He was dominate physically, with some brutal hit ups, while also making some good offloads and passing even in wet conditions!

IMO he was very impressive in his first hit out.

I was also impressed with Su'A, looks like he may be our next star back-rower.

I totally forgot about this trial! Too busy catching up on the nines.

Is there likely any chance there'll be a highlights reel accessible in the next day or two?

Did jaydn sua get a run at all? He seemed to be a total gun in the first half of last season for the nyc team.
Fairly sure he and ponga played union together for churchie 1st's.

Getting really excited about ese'ese, hope he continues to build and provide us that genuine impact forward we essentially lack.

Still surprised we snared seve too, he was such a highly touted junior. Was funaki present for the trial?

We have some serious potential in our junior stocks all of a sudden. Fingers crossed a high proportion successfully transition to first grade

Esese
Eden
Roberts
Seve

Whitchurch was a liability, came up with a few forced and unforced handling errors. Looked very slow off the mark and has no pace. Finished two easy tries off.

Eden: would have been in the top 3 on the field if it wasn't for a few mistakes in defence and with his errors. Amazing in attack, good ball playing skills that gave him a handful of try assists. quite fast but slow off the mark, supported thought the ruck well. Gelled exceptionally well with the rest of the spine and looked solid taking the line on. He looks quite suspect under the high ball and he made a half ass attempt to save the first try.

Roberts looked good. Conditions didn't suit his playing style, didn't get much space with ball and had only a few touches and was handled quite well in defence. Bagged a bit of meat from a grubber in the in goal.

Seve - I quite like the look of him. Can't remember much in regards to defence. I think he took a few good high balls. Bombed two tries early which weren't really his fault (bad bounce off a quick that went into touch and a wayward pass). Finished a good try in the corner. He looks exceptionally fast and top class...athletic and strong. Solid hit ups and he got in and got the work done. Kahu and him worked well together.

Eseese: it got a bit hard to pick him with Fai running around. From what I saw this guy is an animal. He bent the line the most out of our forwards. Got a nice offload away and put his all into each hit up. Killed some bloke returning a kick off, ran over the top of him and kept going. Good leg drive for a big fella and fared well with a decent amount of time on the field. Honestly don't know how he hasn't got a contract. Him and Barr looked good but then again I can't remember much because the coverage was shit and it put me off the game a bit.

Herman was great and it looks like he could be selected round 1. He was dominate physically, with some brutal hit ups, while also making some good offloads and passing even in wet conditions!

great to hear, i did hear during the week that he was told to sort his passport for england asap

Possibly, I have a feeling he could get taken over to England with squad but it's hard to see him unseating Thaiday, Wallace or Ofahengaue this early. (EDIT Just saw Talanoas post)

Last edited:
Yeah I highly doubt Ese'ese or anyone new gets a start early in the year, we'll roll with the same guys from last year. Only scenario in which Ese'ese gets a run is injury, suspension or Wallace gives away 9 penalties combined in the first 3 games.

Possibly, I have a feeling he could get taken over to England with squad but it's hard to see him unseating Thaiday, Wallace or Ofahengaue this early.

I rate him more highly than Offa personally, but yeah it is tough to know at this point.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • Bish
  • Culhwch
  • NSW stables
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • broncoscope
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.