VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
We need a Perth team in the comp. It just needs to happen. They're 18th, a Sydney team needs to move to the Central Coast and the next 2 teams need to be Adelaide and a 2nd NZ team. It's pretty simple stuff

We need a Perth team in the comp. It just needs to happen. They're 18th, a Sydney team needs to move to the Central Coast and the next 2 teams need to be Adelaide and a 2nd NZ team. It's pretty simple stuff
I'd probably be more inclined to look at a Darwin team rather than Adelaide.

I think SA is full blown AFL so would be Vic/Storm all over again except in a smaller market.

Darwin is just assumed to be AFL country, but it doesnt seem like they have much focus on expanding there (in the same way they dont care about expanding to Tas)... I think Darwin / NT would absolutely embrace the opportunity to have a sporting team, because they have very little exposure across any of the leagues right now.

An NRL club in that market could be like the Nth Qld Cowboys if the culture of the club is set up correctly

I think SA is full blown AFL so would be Vic/Storm all over again except in a smaller market.

Darwin is just assumed to be AFL country, but it doesnt seem like they have much focus on expanding there (in the same way they dont care about expanding to Tas)... I think Darwin / NT would absolutely embrace the opportunity to have a sporting team, because they have very little exposure across any of the leagues right now.

An NRL club in that market could be like the Nth Qld Cowboys if the culture of the club is set up correctly

by "like the Cowboys" do you mean sucking for the majority of their existence? 😛

I would try for a Q Cup team first, start building the community support around them. Once they've been able to prove they're functional and the support/dollars are there, gear them towards entering the comp at the back end of this decade.

Darwin has a population of 132k and Adelaide has 1.306 million. Has Darwin ever put forth a bid? Also the place is a shit hole, nobody would want to live there.

I would try for a Q Cup team first, start building the community support around them. Once they've been able to prove they're functional and the support/dollars are there, gear them towards entering the comp at the back end of this decade.
Any expansion plans should be starting with building a footprint up in the intended area with a plan to putting a team there eventually.

It seems like the NSWRL has zero plan to build competitions up anywhere else in the country and just relying on communities to create something.

If they're serious about expanding they should be investing in grass roots in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart, Wellington, etc.

As the local comps increase in popularity it becomes an easier task to introduce an NRL team there

North Sydney Bears are hopeful of becoming the 18th team as early as 2025.

Like "Redcliffe" they plan to be known only by their monika (the Bears).

The bid’s pitch is to play the majority of their home games in regional NSW, with Dubbo, Coffs Harbour, Wagga Wagga, the Central Coast and Tamworth on the list.

But they would still play between four and six matches at North Sydney Oval.

Bears chairman Daniel Dickson says:

“We want to be reintroduced as the 18th team, as a team of the people,”

“We think it’s the best rugby league story in 20 years.

“This is de-risking the growth of the game by re-engaging with 220,000 fans.

“If you start a new franchise, you have years of growing your fan base. This is an existing, 113-year national brand of heritage, heart and history.

“All we need to do is give it a platform.”

Call themselves the Aussie Drop Bears and od vote for them to join the NRL

Hero imagefillsize 800x450v1611614274

Darwin has a population of 132k and Adelaide has 1.306 million. Has Darwin ever put forth a bid? Also the place is a shit hole, nobody would want to live there.
Evidently 132k people do.
I'm sure lots of players would move to Darwin, if only temporarily, they already holiday there alot.
And the whole NT would be packing out the stadium, mind you it only hold 12500 but somehow they squeeze a few thousand extra people regularly and sometimes that's just local games.

Evidently 132k people do.
I'm sure lots of players would move to Darwin, if only temporarily, they already holiday there alot.
And the whole NT would be packing out the stadium, mind you it only hold 12500 but somehow they squeeze a few thousand extra people regularly and sometimes that's just local games.
I don't think players holiday there. I think they just get cheaper flights to Bali from there

I don't think players holiday there. I think they just get cheaper flights to Bali from there
I lived in Darwin and still have friends and family there.
I have seen and spoken to NRL players in Darwin and other remote areas of the NT that were on holiday, so I know that they holiday there.
The Bali aspect might help too.

North Sydney Bears were my second favourite team, so I’d be happy to see them come back.

Rothfield reporting that Perth are back in the race to be the 18th team after the new Premier, Roger Cook, phone Vlandys to push the case for Perth's inclusion in the NRL

Apparently Vlandys has been against Perth team being included, but has had a change of heart.

Vlandys said:

“I’ll acknowledge I was wrong with my initial thoughts,” he said. “Perth has to be high on the table now, especially with a premier so passionate about wanting to have a team there. They warrant serious consideration.

“If you’ve got a government that’s going to get 100 per cent behind you, you’ve got a run-up start. We had a really good conversation and we’ll be chatting again. The fact he rang in his first week in the job shows how keen they are.”

V’landys says all options – including a 20-team competition – are open to the independent commission, including PNG.

“Nick Politis is a visionary,” V’landys said. “He’s said why are you looking at 18 teams. Why not 20.

“If you do your participation and pathways right, the 20 teams can happen sooner.

“And it’s all funded by the broadcaster from the extra content.”

Rothfield reporting that Perth are back in the race to be the 18th team after the new Premier, Roger Cook, phone Vlandys to push the case for Perth's inclusion in the NRL

Apparently Vlandys has been against Perth team being included, but has had a change of heart.

Vlandys said:

“I’ll acknowledge I was wrong with my initial thoughts,” he said. “Perth has to be high on the table now, especially with a premier so passionate about wanting to have a team there. They warrant serious consideration.

“If you’ve got a government that’s going to get 100 per cent behind you, you’ve got a run-up start. We had a really good conversation and we’ll be chatting again. The fact he rang in his first week in the job shows how keen they are.”

V’landys says all options – including a 20-team competition – are open to the independent commission, including PNG.

“Nick Politis is a visionary,” V’landys said. “He’s said why are you looking at 18 teams. Why not 20.

“If you do your participation and pathways right, the 20 teams can happen sooner.

“And it’s all funded by the broadcaster from the extra content.”
Do it! Go to 22 teams!
Perth, another qld team, 2nd nz team, png and Adelaide?

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Tim K
  • mrtij
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Galah
  • phoenix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Allo
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • NSW stables
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.