Pre-season Challenge

What happened to the 9s? That was popular wasn't it?
Quietly scrapped.

Originally it was believed they were taking a gap year due to the delayed COVID season. Teams needed more time to get a proper pre-season in. However it was never addressed again and the NRL has been pushing for televised pre-season games (I believe 2022 was the first time every game was broadcasted on Fox).

The ratings were solid and averaged around 150K fans, which isn't too far off a typical NRL game.

What testing phase? Rl has been around a while now. Dickheads should know what works.

Things change.

From my understanding, pre-season comps were popular back in the 90's and clubs were a lot more willing to participate but times have changed.

We'll see how this goes and if it goes well, I would be expecting a proper pre-season knockout comp in the following years.

Things change.

From my understanding, pre-season comps were popular back in the 90's and clubs were a lot more willing to participate but times have changed.

We'll see how this goes and if it goes well, I would be expecting a proper pre-season knockout comp in the following years.

So this is your thoughts not actually what the NRL has actually said they’re doing?

Things change.

I'm not sure how this would prove that clubs are willing to participate in a pre-season comp.

There is practically no difference this season to past seasons ... clubs are still only playing the 2 trials they always play under the same conditions. The only difference is that the NRL is going to award points under the pretence of a comp.

For the NRL it's a matter of what happens when you add some stakes to the pre-season.

If the clubs take it seriously and it garners enough attention then it makes it easier to expand on the concept and bring back the pre-season competition.

I'm not sure how this would prove that clubs are willing to participate in a pre-season comp.

There is practically no difference this season to past seasons ... clubs are still only playing the 2 trials they always play under the same conditions. The only difference is that the NRL is going to award points under the pretence of a comp.
If they made it 100k salary cap bonus, clubs would take it way more seriously.

Cash prise of 100k is chump change for clubs dealing with 15m+ revenue. I can't see clubs willing to take it seriously.

But... If it means they're all televised properly, I'm all for it. I've always been strongly for televising the trials, it's lost revenue to just leave it on a shit club stream.

If they made it 100k salary cap bonus, clubs would take it way more seriously.

Cash prise of 100k is chump change for clubs dealing with 15m+ revenue. I can't see clubs willing to take it seriously.

But... If it means they're all televised properly, I'm all for it. I've always been strongly for televising the trials, it's lost revenue to just leave it on a shit club stream.
100k is chump change when the NRL already give them like $13m for existing.

There's no real incentive for clubs to do much at all when they're all just sugar babies to big daddy NRL.

It'll produce some headlines though...
"Storm didnt finish in the top 4 of the preseason comp", "Broncos finished last in the preseason cup", "Dogs win the preseason cup", etc.

Why do pre-season games at all?

Extend the season proper by 2x games so it's a little bit closer to fair where everyone plays everyone twice? Even better, knock some shit Sydney clubs on the head so that everyone can play everyone twice and then it's a fair comp.

Too simple?

Extend the season proper by 2x games so it's a little bit closer to fair where everyone plays everyone twice? Even better, knock some shit Sydney clubs on the head so that everyone can play everyone twice and then it's a fair comp.

Too simple?

No, too well thought out. The NRL doesn’t do that here.

Too simple?
I would be fine with playing each other once and having a mid week knockout cup comp where teams can decide if they want to use a proper squad or not.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Socnorb
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Matheos
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mister Wright
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.