Premiership winning captain: toad you so

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Former Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis is sporting a grin you can see from outer space. After seventeen years of incessant Bronco bashing, he and the club where he won three premierships have finally arrived on the same page. The exact page Gorden had been pointing to every one of those seventeen years:

“I‘ll be honest — it was a bit intimidating coming back. It’s been 20 years since I played for them so it’s been a long time away. It was good to be back. Their confidence was shattered last year and the best thing for ‘Kevvie’ is to get some belief back in the place. There is no bad blood at my end but when bad decisions are made at the Broncos, I’m entitled to an opinion just like all the fans."

Gorden tallis

Never gets old

“The fans kept asking me in the streets, ‘When will you go back to the Broncos?’ but I was never asked officially to visit the club until Kevvie reached out to me (in pre-season). Kevvie said to me he wanted the Broncos to find their DNA again. Kevvie asked if I could be there to help out with the players and I said, ‘Of course’ ... I would do anything for Kevvie to make the Broncos great again.”

“It was unacceptable last year where they finished, I told the group that and they should know that themselves. What I say on TV I am happy to say to their face. I get paid to give honest opinions on the Broncos and the players have to understand I have to call it as I see it."

H542f31dbbfd12d1863cfdeb9c3594316

Honest opinion

“I was embarrassed last year a couple of times with their performances and they would have been embarrassed themselves. The truth hurts. I didn’t like when I was playing and an old player would come out and criticise us, but they would say it because they care, not because they don’t care. You can either live in bliss or you can face up to what you are doing wrong."

“I hope the players do well this year. I‘ve been critical of them in the past but they have every reason to succeed this year. They have a huge juggernaut behind them with one of the best training facilities in the game. Their gym is amazing. We trained out of a tin shed and won six premierships. They have no excuses."

“I won‘t be going into the Broncos every week because I’m a Titans ambassador and I’m committed to my duties with the Gold Coast. But I just want Kevvie to know I am here to support him and if he needs advice from me as a mate and a former Bronco, I will be there for him.”

Walters had nothing but praise for his best mate:

“We’ve had all the former captains come in and speak to the players. A lot of our current guys weren’t even born when the Broncos were formed. What’s more important now is their time in the jumper and how they want to leave the club when they do leave here. It’s a good reminder of what it takes to play for the Broncos.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I tell you what, I’ve never seen Kevvie look so relaxed as he did at this mornings presser. I have to be honest and say the confidence he is exuding has rubbed off on me. I’m still sticking by my Broncos by 14 predictio.

I am going to get crucified and blocked for these comments, however......

He is right, and i have agreed with his opinions and comments in the past. They might not come across well delivered, but the truth is there. Its been a shit show of a circus since the bennet/White/Bellamy saga crap and not only do the players have to own the results, but the board and club as a whole have to as well. There is nothing wrong with what he has said, now and before.

I actually give credit to Gordon for still walking back into the club, and publishing his opinions after he has done this - especially considering he has commercial arrangement with the Titans. Some might call him a fool, but he walked back in, spoke his piece, as rough as it comes across - it is correct. If he was an asshole or a prick, he wouldnt have done that.

I am going to get crucified and blocked for these comments, however......

He is right, and i have agreed with his opinions and comments in the past. They might not come across well delivered, but the truth is there. Its been a shit show of a circus since the bennet/White/Bellamy saga crap and not only do the players have to own the results, but the board and club as a whole have to as well. There is nothing wrong with what he has said, now and before.

I actually give credit to Gordon for still walking back into the club, and publishing his opinions after he has done this - especially considering he has commercial arrangement with the Titans. Some might call him a fool, but he walked back in, spoke his piece, as rough as it comes across - it is correct. If he was an asshole or a prick, he wouldnt have done that.
Make no mistake, he is there for Kevvie 100%, not the Broncos, not the current team, nothing else.

If Seibold had asked him to come in and chat, my money is on him not returning the call.

He is still a merkin, and he burnt his bridge at the Broncos as far as im concerned and the only reason he gets a pass is because Kevvie is the coach.

Last edited:
Make no mistake, he is there for Kevvie 100%, not the Broncos, not the current team, nothing else.

If Seibold had asked him to come in and chat, my money is on him not returning the call.

He is still a merkin, and he burnt his bridge at the Broncos as far as im concerned and the only reason he gets a pass is because Kevvie is the coach.

Last year while he was bitching about the team, Tallis said something along the lines of "I've never been asked for help. If they asked me for help, I'd be there, but they're all entitled little shits who don't care to even ask for help."

Matt Lodge obviously heard, and called Tallis out on TV - again, paraphrasing: "Yeah, we need help. Did he say that? Gordo, we need your help, please, we're always open to the old boys coming in and giving us pointers, they're greats of the game and we're still learning our trade and we'd love the help."

....to which Tallis responded with "No, you know what, **** them, **** the club, I'm not going to waste my time going to help them."

So **** you, Tallis, you bitter old flog. I loved you as a player and that Origin tackle will always be one of the best ever. But you're a bitter old **** and the further you stay away from the club the better as far as I'm concerned. You burnt all those bridges LONG ago.

I can only hope Kevvie is using him to fire up the players. "That silly old **** thinks we suck, well, let's show him..."

Last year while he was bitching about the team, Tallis said something along the lines of "I've never been asked for help. If they asked me for help, I'd be there, but they're all entitled little shits who don't care to even ask for help."

Matt Lodge obviously heard, and called Tallis out on TV - again, paraphrasing: "Yeah, we need help. Did he say that? Gordo, we need your help, please, we're always open to the old boys coming in and giving us pointers, they're greats of the game and we're still learning our trade and we'd love the help."

....to which Tallis responded with "No, you know what, **** them, **** the club, I'm not going to waste my time going to help them."

So **** you, Tallis, you bitter old flog. I loved you as a player and that Origin tackle will always be one of the best ever. But you're a bitter old **** and the further you stay away from the club the better as far as I'm concerned. You burnt all those bridges LONG ago.

I can only hope Kevvie is using him to fire up the players. "That silly old **** thinks we suck, well, let's show him..."
There was a lot more to the Lodge story. It started with Tallis saying he shouldn’t be captain that it would haemorrhage fans. Which wasn’t far from a consensus view. That led to a confrontation between the pair, which ended in Tallis basically telling him to keep his nose clean and wishing him the best. Nothing more to see there.

Tallis didn’t have time for Seibold. He was right about that.

There was a lot more to the Lodge story. It started with Tallis saying he shouldn’t be captain that it would haemorrhage fans. Which wasn’t far from a consensus view. That led to a confrontation between the pair, which ended in Tallis basically telling him to keep his nose clean and wishing him the best. Nothing more to see there.

Tallis didn’t have time for Seibold. He was right about that.

Of course there was more, I summarised it lol. And tbh the part I recalled was the part that stuck in my head the most because it was just rubbish. He - PUBLICLY - offered to help if invited, was invited to help (again publicly), then (very publicly) turned down the invite and said "you made your bed now lie in it". That's a dog act in my book, I don't care who you are or what the rest of the story is. His word obviously means shit - which is no huge surprise given his relentless bashing of the club who made him captain and he helped to THREE premierships.

Of course there was more, I summarised it lol. And tbh the part I recalled was the part that stuck in my head the most because it was just rubbish. He - PUBLICLY - offered to help if invited, was invited to help (again publicly), then (very publicly) turned down the invite and said "you made your bed now lie in it". That's a dog act in my book, I don't care who you are or what the rest of the story is. His word obviously means shit - which is no huge surprise given his relentless bashing of the club who made him captain and he helped to THREE premierships.

Here is what actually happened. Tallis was pretty pissed off. He's a passionate bloke.

Tallis:

"Because I don't want to go back there. It is as simple as that … because I don't want to. They've made their mistakes. I'm at the Titans now … they are not the club I played for. They don't even want the old boys there. (Chief executive) Paul White had blocked the old blokes to come back in."

"Kevvie (Walters) has tried to go back. We've all tried to go back at certain times because we saw that the ship needed to be put back on the right direction, and they don't want us. And now that the shit has hit the fan and it is a little token offer, 'well, why don't you come and help us?'"

"Well, no. You guys dug yourselves into it, dig yourselves out of it."

"White had shook Walters' hand prior to Anthony Seibold's appointment and told him "he's got the job". Kevvie had to ring Locky, a bloke that he played with and taught him and made him great, he (Lockyer) wasn't even going to come to the interview process. So the job was done (Seibold had it). Wayne Bennett wrote an article about (Jason) Demetriou and said 'don't go, like the interview process is a load of rubbish. It's already decided'."

Last edited:
Here is what actually happened. Tallis was pretty pissed off. He's a passionate bloke.

Tallis:

"Because I don't want to go back there. It is as simple as that … because I don't want to. They've made their mistakes. I'm at the Titans now … they are not the club I played for. They don't even want the old boys there. (Chief executive) Paul White had blocked the old blokes to come back in."

"Kevvie (Walters) has tried to go back. We've all tried to go back at certain times because we saw that the ship needed to be put back on the right direction, and they don't want us. And now that the shit has hit the fan and it is a little token offer, 'well, why don't you come and help us?'"

"White had shook Walters' hand prior to Anthony Seibold's appointment and told him "he's got the job". Kevvie had to ring Locky, a bloke that he played with and taught him and made him great, he (Lockyer) wasn't even going to come to the interview process. So the job was done (Seibold had it). Wayne Bennett wrote an article about (Jason) Demetriou and said 'don't go, like the interview process is a load of rubbish. It's already decided'."
Correct.

To add to this, if i was Lodge, instead of playing shit out in the public media to win naughts and crosses - i would have picked up the phone and talked to Gordon as an adult. Lodge of all people should have known that stoking a fire in the media doesnt end well for anyone.

Tallis:

"Because I don't want to" ? What a cop out. Then a rant about the administration and the club, none of which is the playing group's fault or even in their control. And claiming Paul White has blocked the old blokes doesn't fit either, given the statements below.

These are Lodge's comments on Gordie, from when he was the first Bronco to face the media after the 59-zip loss to the Roosters:

"Gordie's one of the best forwards that's ever played the game so everything he says you've got to take it with a bit of respect."

"But he's never stepped a foot in the building, helped any of the young players, helped the club get better or reached out to say if there's anything he can do to help us become better players. We've had plenty of old players come back and help us get better so sometimes you've just got to sit through his criticism."

"He's entitled to that opinion but maybe if he could know we're trying hard to fix it here and there's no excuse of us being young, we've got the talent here and we're going to put the head down and work. If he wants to come in and give us a hand and show us some leadership and help us be better players he's more than welcome."

We obviously have different views on this and that's ok. At the time of the talk of Lodge being captain I wasn't exactly hot about the idea but wasn't against it either. The team looked up to him, he was really leading from the front and let's be honest...options are few in the squad. I'm just really disappointed in Gordie using his Fox high horse to bag the shit out of the club every chance he gets. Sure, the team needs to face some home truths but Gordie's axe has been ground down to a stump!

There is no mistaking he had an axe to grind when Wayne was here, due to past issues and also when Pies got the job over Kev. He knew the back stab that took place and his mate got the shiving. So he really had a big axe to grind last year.

He has said some dumb stuff over the years and come across a hateful bloke. But he is a great of the club and I do respect him for the way he played the game. So if he comes in and gives some talks, I am happy.

All Gordestry aside this is the thing that sticks in my craw the most about the last few years of White's tenure. Whether he was playing his own game or singing from Karl Morris' prayerbook I don't know, but either way who'd be surprised by the club's culture going to shit when the front office boys carry on like this.

All Gordestry aside this is the thing that sticks in my craw the most about the last few years of White's tenure. Whether he was playing his own game or singing from Karl Morris' prayerbook I don't know, but either way who'd be surprised by the club's culture going to shit when the front office boys carry on like this.
It has always been my working theory that Morris was significantly involved.

Kevvie actually made a really good point there that I hadn't actually considered before and it might actually be quite telling:

“We’ve had all the former captains come in and speak to the players. A lot of our current guys weren’t even born when the Broncos were formed."

I have to say, this threw me a little bit when I thought about it. It's 100% true, these young men playing for us today are far less Brisbane or Queensland raised than ever before, and none of them were even alive when the Broncos came into existence. This is actually a huge shift from previous generations when you sit back and consider it. They are the first generation for which this would be true for almost entirely all of them.

What does it mean to this club when the guys playing for it not only increasingly didn't come from Brisbane or even Queensland, but more importantly, don't share the past experiences of watching Queensland getting thumped in Interstate games, or the BRL getting trashed on by Sydney media and their best players being scooped up by pokie rich clubs in Sydney? What does it mean to a current Bronco who never actually saw Wally and his Queenslanders punching so far above their weight in an Origin bloodbath?

What does it mean to be born into a Broncos that were ALWAYS successful, always had the best players, the most money, the biggest fan base and the most prestige?

Is it possible that a large part of the Broncos early DNA was about Brisbane finally standing up for itself and sticking it right up Sydney and NSW? Is a big part of being an early and even mid lifetime Bronco about representing your city and your state and getting one back on those Cockroaches on a weekly basis?

How can the current generation buy into that when so many of them never came from here, never shared that experience? How can it drive them when they were never forged in the fire of Queensland and Brisbane losing and being disrespected for so many years?

For the record, I don't blame them. You cannot be responsible for the era you were born into and the challenges you have or have not had to face as a result of that. I also don't blame the Broncos for recruiting externally on an increasing basis these days, as it's an essential part of modern Rugby League.

It is fascinating to think about though, and I do wonder if Kevvie must have considered the same thing too, because it sure would explain a lot about some of the criticisms that the former players have so often made about our current generation.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • TimWhatley
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.