Premiership winning captain: toad you so

I agree on the surface it seems strange but it's the start of a negotiation, not a one time take it or leave it deal.

The real message to Capewell was we are interested, his manager will let us know the price if his interest is returned.
That's a strange way to negotiate. If a rival came to me with an offer below my current salary I'd tell them to get stuffed. There's no need to drive to his house with a truckload of cash but offering a 25% pay cut is just an insult and would likely make it harder to negotiate down the track.

Of course that's assuming we actually did offer 300k in the first place.

Well firstly because defensively he is great. Not sure if your antenna was on the fritz last year but the boys have a little problem defending, especially on the edges.

But also because he would be incredible value for money (he would sign for next to nothing), is fairly experienced, by all accounts is an honest toiler who would improve club culture, and I also think Herbie is a better winger than centre.

He is a Jack Reed type, and we have a team of Josh Hoffmans.
At the moment Herbie is one of our best backline prospects by far, He scored 24 tries in 25 games in the ISC as a teenager. I think considering he was 20 Last year he did a fantastic job and will 110 percent get better defensively. Signing Opacic as depth is good you're right but you had him in a starting Line up.

No one is saying Opacic is or will be a star but you said yourself, defensively he is great and goodness me we NEED that. Even if he gets usurped by Niu / Farnworth / Coates, that isn't a bad thing. We NEED competition for spots and we NEED better squad depth, we have very little of either at present.
I definitely agree that he'd be a good depth signing but that's it.

At the moment Herbie is one of our best backline prospects by far, He scored 24 tries in 25 games in the ISC as a teenager. I think considering he was 20 Last year he did a fantastic job and will 110 percent get better defensively. Signing Opacic as depth is good you're right but you had him in a starting Line up.
I’m a massive fan of Farnworth. I think he’s better on the wing than he isn’t at centre but I think he’ll do a good job in either position. Opacic would bring a good balance to the backline at the price as David Mead or Dale Copley.

That's a strange way to negotiate. If a rival came to me with an offer below my current salary I'd tell them to get stuffed. There's no need to drive to his house with a truckload of cash but offering a 25% pay cut is just an insult and would likely make it harder to negotiate down the track.

Of course that's assuming we actually did offer 300k in the first place.
I can see it that way sure, and if you know he is on 400k then 300k is a borderline slap but i would imagine the conversation with his manager was more along the lines of:

Manager: Thanks for your interest, what salary are you looking at for Kurt?
Broncos: We are in the 300's as well as offering some of the best marketing and self promotion opportunities in the NRL through our media exposure vs. the Panthers.
Manager: Well he is already on 400k so...
Broncos: OK, before we sharpen our pencil is Kurt even interested if we go back and look at what we can offer?...

This is vs. the Paul White method of:

Manager: Thanks for your interest, what salary are you looking at for Kurt?
Paul White: We would like to offer him 600k a year for 3 years, he did just play Origin after all!!!!
Manager: Hmm, he is pretty happy at Penrith, is that all you can do?
Paul White: I can add on an extra 2 years as a player option in his favour
Manger: Done deal

A few things to remember, its not Kurt direct, it's all through his manager so a low ball offer is not as personable an insult as it may seem and also, it's just Kurt Capewell, it would be a different approach if it was Cameron Munster.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Shane Tronc
  • broncotville
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • mystico
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.