Pretenders verses Contenders

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
This past weekend has shone a light of this year’s premiership in my opinion. Form, attitude, fortitude and game breakers all had their chance and most favourites came up short, except 2. Again it seems it’s a race of 2

The contenders

Storm – Have the strike power and proven big game players. Have shown that they can win even when playing very poorly. Definite favourites to go back to back.

Manly – They have both attack and defence but a question mark on how their key players play in big games (Olford and Lyon). I fear second place beckons once again.

The Pretenders

Roosters – Shown up by Manly. If you can hold their forwards they have little else but bomb and prey. Can’t win big games and not enough creativity in their halves, can’t beat the top 2 sides. Season is over for them

Sharks – Lack the ability to score points, tough in defence but again can’t score enough points to trouble the top sides. Another year of disappointment for Sharks fans.

Saints – Had a pretty easy run against sides that were decimated by Origin commitments, crumpled under sustained attack. Will bow out early come finals time, no chance this year.

Titans – Enthusiasm will only take them so far, will miss the 8

Broncos – Last weekend I’m hoping was just a hiccup, but lack the all round strike power to win this year. Anything is possible of course with Lockyer and Wallace, but may have left their run too late. I expect them to just fall short. Might get through the first finals round if placed high enough but I can’t see them beating either the Storm or Manly.

Panthers – Lack enough strike power to trouble the top teams.

Parramatta – The seasons biggest disappointment, should be rivalling the Storm for the Premiership but may end up missing the 8 altogether.

Tigers – Will struggle to make the 8

Newcastle – Form on the board, but lack enough quality to go very far.

Warriors – Should miss the 8

Souths – A chance of a top 8 but expect a first round exit if they can scrap in.

One hiccup means nothing.

Roosters and Broncos are still contenders as far as I'm concerned. Sharks would be up there too once Bird is back.

Seriously, my prediction is - watch Broncos start playing really well 2 or 3 weeks from now, just like Bennett said.

Still time for some of the pretenders to turn things around. At the moment the Storm and Eagles are definitely the form teams at the moment and in the best position to make a premiership charge.

No, nor do I. But it's round 18. A whole lot can happen in 8 weeks.

Think about how the Broncos were going in round 18 of 2006...

I very much doubt that there is anyone in the comp that can trouble the Storm. Manly are doing it all now, but they lack the class to topple the Storm; other than them though there's no one.

Brisbane on thier day with each and every player avalible and playing at 110% might be able to challenge the top two, but the chnaces of that happening are low.

Sadly I'd say the Storm will roll on through once again.

Look I'm not saying there is no chance but if teh Storm and Manly stay injury free like they have the past 2 seasons then I can't see a team beating them. HOWEVER, the Broncos and Titans both know what happens when the injury bug strikes game after game, what would happen to the Storms chances if they lost Cronk, Smith, Slater, Inglis, Johnson and Falou within a few weeks? Or Manly Losing Olford, Lyons, Bell, Stewart etc...? That is the kind of injury toll that crippled us last year and then it would be open season for the pretenders, but unless that happens it just seems like a case of who will these two beat so they can play each other in the GF.

The Rock said:
Broncos in 2006. Our form started in round 24 when we smashed the dogs 30-0. Before this game we had lost 5 in a row and were completely written off!

The difference with this year is that we need to start winning soon otherwise we'll miss the eight all together.

In regards to Burg's original post, Melbourne and Manly are by far the two best teams at the moment. Roosters and Broncos are in with a chance if they can get their act together.

I'd have them ranked in this order: 1. Storm, 2. Manly, 3. Broncos, 4. Roosters

Apart from that, everyone else looks very ordinary.

ethos said:
The Rock said:
Broncos in 2006. Our form started in round 24 when we smashed the dogs 30-0. Before this game we had lost 5 in a row and were completely written off!

The difference with this year is that we need to start winning soon otherwise we'll miss the eight all together.

True, we had more points in the bank in 2006, but that just let us have that slip up in the first week of the finals.

You have a point Rock, we were written off in every finals game in 06. Especially the bulldogs in the prelim when were were totally outplayed in the first half.

My contenders are Roosters, Storm, Manly, Broncos.

I doubt we should be in that list, but Steve Price says so.

Roosters can do it if they are on that night, esp with Minichello fit.

Coxy said:
ethos said:
The Rock said:

True, we had more points in the bank in 2006, but that just let us have that slip up in the first week of the finals.

I would suggest in all fairness, that the difference between 08 and 06 is the quality of the side when at full strenght. No petro, webby, tate or berrigan to name a few, so our pack lacks the muscle and our back line lacks the punch. On the good side one would hope that with ennis, Wallace and Lockyer should the team hit some form it would be a far more origional and effective attack... but it's hard to know if this team has enough motivation to get it done. eusa_think

We are the only team that has the class to match the Storm.

Trouble is, it won't be really on show till Hodges returns, and the team starts to play like it wants to win.

rnabokov said:
We are the only team that has the class to match the Storm.

Trouble is, it won't be really on show till Hodges returns, and the team starts to play like it wants to win.

Agreed. I still think Manly are an average side but with a little momentum they'll probably go further then expected. If we get can good a run with injuries over the next 6-7 weeks and put some wins together we'll have the momentum needed to challenge the Storm. I really hope we come up against them in the semis rather then the GF.

The thing about Manly is that they are coached to play like a team possessed - and do, but the reality is they have no real class. A team like the Storm will expose them for what they are.

IMO, we're talking about a team game, and individual class counts for zilch unless the team is coached, and plays like a machine, so the class has the chance to shine.

That's why IMO, the Storm are a lay down misere to win the GF, unless we get our act together starting this week.

Otherwise, it will be a Storm - Manly GF with the Storm to flog them.

They play a well organised simple gameplan, and they've had their 1,7,9 for pretty much every game this year it's no wonder their on top of the table. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the GF

If we play Manly, the only think I'd be worried about is Robertson challenging Kemp/Robinson for the high ball. Other than that we'd beat them.

renouf said:
They play a well organised simple gameplan, and they've had their 1,7,9 for pretty much every game this year it's no wonder their on top of the table. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the GF

Unless we get our shit together and start to play the footy we're capable of.

Active Now

• thenry
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.