NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

Kicks!!

Doesn't a six usually kick?

If the guy who in his best season made a name for himself as a superb runner and a support player, with a bit above average ball playing couldn't do well in a position where the job description includes: "Must be a good runner, support player and have some ball playing", then it really says something about that player... that, or about the system.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the average fullback played four more games, so he was about even in a lot of departments (Tries, LBs, TBs etc.) The interesting stat again is the kicking stat. Over 10 times the amount compared to other fullbacks in the competition.

The kicking stat isn't even impressive to me, he was essentially playing Fullback in defense and Five-Eighth in attack, hence why his kick totals are similar to what they were at 6. It was a pretty pointless exercise imo. It might have worked if we had 2 good kickers in the halves so Milford could actually play Fullback and not some pseudo-Fullback role.

It is going to be a massive improvement to have Croft wanting to do most of the kicking. Milf can chime in when he wants, Isaako can kick, can Turpin?

I guess I'm in the minority now but Milf at fullback was exciting. At his best he was basically playing a mix of one and six, supporting the forwards like a fullback, ballplaying and kicking like a six. He wasn't too far off by the stats.

I just want him running more. If we have a set close to the oppositions goal line he should be taking them on often, not just shuffling the ball along. That's my main gripe with him, and the all too common lazy third or fourth tackle kick close to the line. But that will improve with Croft too I hope.

The kicking stat isn't even impressive to me, he was essentially playing Fullback in defense and Five-Eighth in attack, hence why his kick totals are similar to what they were at 6. It was a pretty pointless exercise imo. It might have worked if we had 2 good kickers in the halves so Milford could actually play Fullback and not some pseudo-Fullback role.

The kicking stat illustates how much more responsibility he had compared to other fullbacks. For mine, if Milford had have gone backwards as a player at fullback then I'd agree but his numbers were pretty consistent with what he was delivering at five eighth and an improvement over Boyd's. Considering the Broncos were 5-8 and the roster wasn't in great shape, I don't think it was the worst idea in the world to see how he would go.

The halves were the major issue, but again, there was little in the way of alternatives.

Last edited:
The kicking stat illustates how much more responsibility he had compared to other fullbacks. For mine, if Milford had have gone backwards as a player at fullback then I'd agree but his numbers were pretty consistent with what he was delivering at five eighth and an improvement over Boyd's. Considering the Broncos were 5-8 and the roster wasn't in great shape, I don't think it was the worst idea in the world to see how he would go.

The halves were the major issue, but again, there was little in the way of alternatives.

thanks for providing the statistics so far, do you have Boyd’s at full back?

thanks for providing the statistics so far, do you have Boyd’s at full back?

Sure thing.

GamesTriesRunsMetresKick ReturnPost-ContactLBLBATATackle-BreaksOffloadsPassesReceiptsKicksErrorsPenalties
Darius Boyd
14​
1​
13.2​
113.9​
49.8​
23.6​
2​
5​
4​
29​
4​
21.4​
34.1​
9​
10​
2​

Sure thing.

GamesTriesRunsMetresKick ReturnPost-ContactLBLBATATackle-BreaksOffloadsPassesReceiptsKicksErrorsPenalties
Darius Boyd
14​
1​
13.2​
113.9​
49.8​
23.6​
2​
5​
4​
29​
4​
21.4​
34.1​
9​
10​
2​
Appreciate it. Honestly I thought it would stack up a bit better than that. Still I see it as a marginal improvement in one position, and a big step backwards in another.

Appreciate it. Honestly I thought it would stack up a bit better than that. Still I see it as a marginal improvement in one position, and a big step backwards in another.

Darbs had a decent start to the year, but by the second quarter his stats were dropping fairly noticeably.

TriesRunsMetresLine-BreaksTackle-BreaksOffloadsErrorsPenalties
1st Quarter
0​
14.6​
131.1​
1​
13​
3​
2​
1​
2nd Quarter
1​
11.6​
95.8​
0​
10​
1​
6​
1​

Milford's best was better than Darius' best. Milf had three games where he topped 200m+ which is something Darius was never capable of but there were games where he got bogged down with playmaking or simply got injured (eg. Round 18 vs. Bulldogs).

For the sake of comparison, here is Milford's season summary at fullback while playing for Canberra. The error stat could be flimsy since NRL.com only keeps track of handling errors from older games.

2013​
7​
5​
15.3​
167.7​
42.2​
39.3​
9​
3​
1​
43​
14​
9​
26.7​
4​
6​
2​
2014​
18​
8​
13.5​
120.4​
39.8​
24.6​
16​
13​
9​
75​
23​
14.7​
30.6​
21​
8​
1​

The 2013 numbers are incredibly promising for a 19 year old. 2014 noticeably down but understandable considering he was playing under protest.

Darbs had a decent start to the year, but by the second quarter his stats were dropping fairly noticeably.

TriesRunsMetresLine-BreaksTackle-BreaksOffloadsErrorsPenalties
1st Quarter
0​
14.6​
131.1​
1​
13​
3​
2​
1​
2nd Quarter
1​
11.6​
95.8​
0​
10​
1​
6​
1​

Milford's best was better than Darius' best. Milf had three games where he topped 200m+ which is something Darius was never capable of but there were games where he got bogged down with playmaking or simply got injured (eg. Round 18 vs. Bulldogs).

For the sake of comparison, here is Milford's season summary at fullback while playing for Canberra. The error stat could be flimsy since NRL.com only keeps track of handling errors from older games.

2013​
7​
5​
15.3​
167.7​
42.2​
39.3​
9​
3​
1​
43​
14​
9​
26.7​
4​
6​
2​
2014​
18​
8​
13.5​
120.4​
39.8​
24.6​
16​
13​
9​
75​
23​
14.7​
30.6​
21​
8​
1​

The 2013 numbers are incredibly promising for a 19 year old. 2014 noticeably down but understandable considering he was playing under protest.

he also played a lot more in the 6 jersey in 14 iirc.

Milf topped 200 in those 3 games but failed to register triple figures in the majority of the remaining games. It’s why I thought his run meters might actually get topped by Darius.

he also played a lot more in the 6 jersey in 14 iirc.

Milf topped 200 in those 3 games but failed to register triple figures in the majority of the remaining games. It’s why I thought his run meters might actually get topped by Darius.

Those Canberra stats are when he specifically played fullback.

Pretty sure halves do more than just kick. How were his try assists? Repeat sets? Or was he just playing his normal position while defending out of the line?

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Morepudding
  • Morkel
  • Fozz
  • john1420
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  • The Strapper
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.