Quality of teams and games in the finals thus far

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
I think that the best teams so far in the final series has been Broncos, Warriors, and the Eagles. Personally I think the Warriors v Storm, Broncos v Roosters, Warriors v Roosters, and the Broncos v Storm games have been the best games. I also think that based on form in the finals, the GF should've been between either Broncos, Eagles or Warriors playing each other. Thank-god last night's game wasn't the GF...

Thoughts?

Broncos should have won it but they threw it away with poor handling and missed opportunities. The Eagles should win it this year now but the Warriors could surprise them. Definitely been a poor final series IMO. I can't believe the Sharks performed the way they did last night.

You think of all the teams this series that played terribly:
Dragons, Sharks, Raiders, Storm, Roosters.

You would say that they shouldn't have been in the finals, but then again look at the quality of the teams that finished outside the 8, poor.

Couldn't agree more Ghibli. Though the Sharks were impressive in week one, I think the Warriors and Brisbane were by far playing the best footy in the business end.

Really hope the Kiwis take it out now...

The NRL is farked!!! The Storm haven't played that poorly everyone just hates them!!

You want to know what I think? well, I think the warriors and Broncos have been the best performing teams in the finals so far. The gf should have definitely been between those 2 teams. But anyway DAMN the Storm

I don't hate the Storm, I just think they haven't played as well as they can this series.

mick! said:
Couldn't agree more Ghibli. Though the Sharks were impressive in week one, I think the Warriors and Brisbane were by far playing the best footy in the business end.

Really hope the Kiwis take it out now...
Agreed

I think the Storm played well last week, it was just our massive defence that kept them off the scoreboard. No doubt this week was always going to see them down on last week, you can't have epicness 2 weeks running and they did what they had to against a crap Sharks outfit.

Manly have played well in their game and tonight we will see what Manly are. By rights they smash the Warriors, if they do then they have constantly played well all season and will win the GF IMO.

This is 2002 all over. I still can't believe we didn't win that Roosters game and I can't believe we didn't win last week. We may ot have beat Manly, but we would have played better than any other contender.

Bronco_for_life said:
You want to know what I think? well, I think the warriors and Broncos have been the best performing teams in the finals so far. The gf should have definitely been between those 2 teams. But anyway DAMN the Storm

Could have, should have, would have. Get over it, the Broncos lost and the Storm proved their quality last night. They are going to go back to back.

Performance extends far beyond just ball control and the quality of football you play. There's a lot to be said for mental strength, desperation and remaining true to your game when under pressure. Sims' knock on wouldn't have mattered if Slater didn't have the smarts to use his legs to stop Hannant from scoring, ditto for the fact that when down to 12 men, the Storm had the mental toughness to match up and score with the numerical disadvantage. Yes they were poor overall, but if it were the Broncos playing poorly and the Storm playing well, the difference would have been 22 not 2.

They mightn't have played great football in the finals but there are many qualities that the Storm have shown that are more than worthy of premiership status, least of which includes having the mental strength to perform under extreme pressure and ceasing the moment that they have trained for all year.

We didn't want it bad enough.
If we had then none of the rubbish of the past weeks would have been happening.
Storm wanted it more.
Sharks got a piggyback during Origin as did Manly.
Let's see how they go tonight.
Warriors [icon_pray.

the claims that the nrl is stronger than ever are a myth. The competition is getting poorer each season as our experienced stars ship out because of the salary cap. The sheer crapness of the finals this year is evidence enough.

Coxy said:
the claims that the nrl is stronger than ever are a myth. The competition is getting poorer each season as our experienced stars ship out because of the salary cap. The sheer crapness of the finals this year is evidence enough.

Please.

The "exodus" :roll: is responsible for the standard of the finals series in 08???

If so, please show me, by name, the players that "should" be here, but aren't because they are in ESL.

I only ask, because I can't see that many BIG names myself. Sure there are a handful, but hardly enough to warrant that statement.

You're not Matt Johns are you? eusa_think

It's been top quality this year if you ask me.

I'm not going to name individual names, but the fact is this competition was crap this year. There were so many boring, low quality games. The way the NRL is played is boring. It's crap, predictable, defence-focussed football. The Toyota Cup is a breath of fresh air, but I hope those kids don't think the NRL is like that. You won't see attacking kicks from your own half etc in the NRL, not unless you want to get the arse.

The Preliminary Finals were poor games. The Warriors-Manly one was OK, but the Warriors were dominated...the problem with 8th making it through that far really. The Sharks-Storm game - my god, probably the worst NRL game I've seen in 5 years. The Storm were terrible, and they won 28 points to blot!

I think the big factors in the poor state of the games are:
1. High turnover of players (either to other NRL clubs or to ESL etc)
2. Boring defence focussed game plans and rules (the rules basically punish enterprising play)
3. State of Origin's impact, absolutely shagging 34-40 of our best players midseason
4. Length of the competition

I think we have to start with some basic rule changes to try and encourage more attack. Get rid of the whole dominant/surrender business; reduce the 10 metres to 7 or 5 metres to take dummyhalf running out of the game; ban gang tackles - no more players allowed into the tackle if forward momentum is stopped (even if they have the arms free).

Coxy said:
I'm not going to name individual names, but the fact is this competition was crap this year. There were so many boring, low quality games. The way the NRL is played is boring. It's crap, predictable, defence-focussed football. The Toyota Cup is a breath of fresh air, but I hope those kids don't think the NRL is like that. You won't see attacking kicks from your own half etc in the NRL, not unless you want to get the arse.

The Preliminary Finals were poor games. The Warriors-Manly one was OK, but the Warriors were dominated...the problem with 8th making it through that far really. The Sharks-Storm game - my god, probably the worst NRL game I've seen in 5 years. The Storm were terrible, and they won 28 points to blot!

I think the big factors in the poor state of the games are:
1. High turnover of players (either to other NRL clubs or to ESL etc)
2. Boring defence focussed game plans and rules (the rules basically punish enterprising play)
3. State of Origin's impact, absolutely shagging 34-40 of our best players midseason
4. Length of the competition

I think we have to start with some basic rule changes to try and encourage more attack. Get rid of the whole dominant/surrender business; reduce the 10 metres to 7 or 5 metres to take dummyhalf running out of the game; ban gang tackles - no more players allowed into the tackle if forward momentum is stopped (even if they have the arms free).

finals game poor?

Warrios V melbourne CRACKER
Broncos V melbourne CRACKER
broncos V roosters Good game.

the only poor ones really which i didn't enjoy, we're

raiders v cronulla
manly v st george
and warrios v manly although the quality of that game was high.

Yes, 3 of the games were good. In fact, 4 if you count the Warriors-Roosters game.

4 have been absolute snores.

You'd want more than 50% good games in the finals!

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • whykickamoocow
  • Spike
  • Fitzy
  • Tim K
  • Foordy
  • Brotherdu
  • BRC088
  • Sproj
  • IceWorks
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • kiwibronco
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.