Recruiting

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
It would seem that our recruiting team might be finally starting to get their act together both on decisions about who to bring in and who to let go. By using the neutral term `recruiting team' I am trying to avoid any reflection on present or past coaches.

Firstly, in terms of who has been let go, I must admit I have not really disagreed with any of the decisions:

1. McGuire - had a reasonable season with the Cowboys, but did not set the world on fire and his discipline (or lack thereof) seems to be becoming a real issue. The decision to let him go in favour of using that money to retain our younger forwards was on the money.

2. Kahu - I thought the decision to let him go was correct. Having him back is puzzling, but if we were contractually bound to take that course, there is very little we could do but welcome him back. His original contract was perhaps another example of an earlier failing by the recruiting team.

3. Nikorima - the decision that Niko was not our future halfback was also the right call. It would have been good to keep him as a utility, but he was not willing to do that. Once again, he has not set the world on fire for the Warriors and his game displays the same limitations as a half that he displayed here.

4. Roberts - The irregular flashes of brilliance from Roberts were not worth the downside of his attitude, poor injury management and potential off-field issues. Once again, did not really show any marked improvement at Souths and the potential for his attitude to impact the rest of the squad justified him being released.

5. Sua - Similar comments to McGuire. You cannot keep them all and he had a dip in form at the wrong time. I could not disagree with the decision to prioritise Lodge, Haas, TPJ, Flegler and Carrigan over him.

Re-signings
The recruiting team have done extremely well to retain all of our squad that we wanted to keep. Only Fifita left to complete the full house. I think they can give themselves a well-earned pat on the back for this.

Only signing Glenn for a further two years is a step in the right direction regarding signing a veteran, particularly with no options.

New signings
1. Jesse Arthars - looks to be a likely prospect and were the punt.

2. Brodie Croft - fills a distinct hole in our current squad.

3. Segeyaro - the mid-season signing of Segeyaro was shrewd albeit, due to him not making the most of what looks like his last chance, it has not paid off as well as it might have.

All in all, I think things look as though they are on the improve and we do not seem to be making the same mistakes made in the last 3-5 years.

3. Segeyaro - the mid-season signing of Segeyaro was shrewd albeit, due to him not making the most of what looks like his last chance, it has not paid off as well as it might have.

Great signing but underused and ultimately wasted. I wonder if his drug fiasco and lack of game time was the byproduct of flawed man management or that he didn't gel in some way with the team. He often seemed apart from the rest of the group. I don't know whether there was anything to read into that. Nonetheless, I'm certain if Seibold had've punted Macca and put Segy straight into hooker, we'd have been a better team. Water under the bridge now. I hope his career isn't over, all the same.

There’s still a hell of a lot to fix. There’s also the slight issue of whether the coach can actually coach.

Nah when he signed with dragons he saidhe didn't even consider Broncs, he wasn't interested.

Good, the feeling was mutual lol

Yes there does seem to be a noticable upswing in the quality of our signings all of a sudden. Not just their value, but also their length. Clearly as a part of their review, the club saw how much dead weight we are currently hauling around in our cap and knew exactly where to point the microscope. About damn time I say. Whoever used to be there before the Parramatta game I hope have been uniformly dismissed and the whole department started fresh.

Last edited:
It would seem that our recruiting team might be finally starting to get their act together both on decisions about who to bring in and who to let go. By using the neutral term `recruiting team' I am trying to avoid any reflection on present or past coaches.

Firstly, in terms of who has been let go, I must admit I have not really disagreed with any of the decisions:

1. McGuire - had a reasonable season with the Cowboys, but did not set the world on fire and his discipline (or lack thereof) seems to be becoming a real issue. The decision to let him go in favour of using that money to retain our younger forwards was on the money.

2. Kahu - I thought the decision to let him go was correct. Having him back is puzzling, but if we were contractually bound to take that course, there is very little we could do but welcome him back. His original contract was perhaps another example of an earlier failing by the recruiting team.

3. Nikorima - the decision that Niko was not our future halfback was also the right call. It would have been good to keep him as a utility, but he was not willing to do that. Once again, he has not set the world on fire for the Warriors and his game displays the same limitations as a half that he displayed here.

4. Roberts - The irregular flashes of brilliance from Roberts were not worth the downside of his attitude, poor injury management and potential off-field issues. Once again, did not really show any marked improvement at Souths and the potential for his attitude to impact the rest of the squad justified him being released.

5. Sua - Similar comments to McGuire. You cannot keep them all and he had a dip in form at the wrong time. I could not disagree with the decision to prioritise Lodge, Haas, TPJ, Flegler and Carrigan over him.

Re-signings
The recruiting team have done extremely well to retain all of our squad that we wanted to keep. Only Fifita left to complete the full house. I think they can give themselves a well-earned pat on the back for this.

Only signing Glenn for a further two years is a step in the right direction regarding signing a veteran, particularly with no options.

New signings

All in all, I think things look as though they are on the improve and we do not seem to be making the same mistakes made in the last 3-5 years.

This all makes so much sense you should be immediately put in charge of the broncos recruitment department.

Re-signings

New signings

I wonder if we've still got enough reserve in the kitty to pick up a Segeyaro or Marshall if one lands on our lap mid season? If we do, it means we shafted the Storm.

Last edited:
I wonder if we've still got enough reserve in the kitty to pick up a Segeyaro or Marshall if one lands on our lap mid season? If we do, it means we shafted the Storm.
I have a feeling we have not seen the last of people moving on just yet and it could still happen up to 30 June. One example is Kahu, who once he completes rehab might seek out a contract elsewhere. Others might be players used to playing NRL who are sent back to ISC.

To add to my long winded post above, I would be placing Turpin and all of the fullback options on notice that there are two positions for them to secure long term and if someone does not put their hand up, once our salary cap frees up, we look to complete our long term spine with a quality hooker and a quality fullback.

Not having Segeyaro this year is a big dissapointment. I think he was a perfect Bench option to work in tandem with Turpin. Such a huge waste of an opportunity for both parties.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • peter09
  • Scorchie
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • barker
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.