Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Mike Colman: Brisbane Broncos continue to be plagued by recruitment failures

MIKE COLMAN,
COLMAN ON SUNDAY,
The Daily Telegraph
August 18, 2019 10:19am

Last edited by a moderator:
We easily have the most exciting young players in every position except halves and fullbacks at the moment. And even many of our young halves have big wraps but just aren’t there yet. Not to mention we produced Hunt and Taylor who are no Cronk but are pretty handy halves.

How would a 16 year old walker fix our Darius issue? Thurston was also signed and let go by the bulldogs so his signing obviously wasn’t such an obvious decision. He was also a total gronk until he was about 28 years old.

Wasn’t Cyril Connell (the great) still involved with the club around the time maybe of those big name players were juniors?

So Coleman is confirmed as reading broncosHQ. I brought this same situation up through the week and even mentioned old Cyril.

How would a 16 year old walker fix our Darius issue?
Not to mention Walker hasn't proven anything yet.

Also no mention that we have Dearden and Paix who were both highly rated coming through.

Instead of writing an article about the current situation and identifying playmakers who were on the market in recent years that the Broncos could've looked at he goes after guys who were a) started playing whilst we had Lockyer ie. they wouldn't represent transition type players, and
b) are not available for recruitment anymore and probably weren't really available in recent years for recruitment

He also missed obvious recruitment issues, such as Bird (doesn't really fulfill our playmaker requirements), and existing large contracts that hamstring our current ability to recruit.

Just a nothing article that could be a copy paste everytime a qld great has a milestone game ie. Where were the Broncos when this guy was available

Last edited:
Unfortunately the club is still shackled by the salary cap and can't afford to get too cute with it (like two clubs possibly in the top four at the moment) as there are shareholders to answer to.

Last edited:
I think the two biggest issues facing development clubs which are somewhat connected:

1) No strong financial incentive provided through the salary cap to develop and retain juniors.
2) No limit on how much an under 21 year old should be allowed to earn.

Every other week you hear of rediculous offers being made for unproven players and not sensible enough to make serious financial decisions.

I think it would be a major boon to development clubs if there was a salary ceiling placed on young players coming into the NRL, maybe growing year by year until it becomes uncapped at say 21.

This stops the silly offers coming in from non-development clubs forcing up the price of guys who are really just big kids. Some make it, some don't. It's also silly the pressure a half mil/year contract could put on a 18/19 year old. They should largely be playing for the love of the game and some decent cash. Not facing huge expectations / abuse / media pressure because the top $ recruit is not finding consistency.

If they were to cap it at like $150k max @ 19 and under, $180k @ 20, $250k @ 21 - the players are still able to earn a good amount of cash, then still largely have up to a decade to earn big money if they are good enough. It will also allow more cash in the salary cap to play the statesman players a bit more too who are taking bulk cuts just so the young blood doesnt go to the roosters infinite salary cap club.

Clubs can then also make informed decisions, by 21, you should be seeing some return on investment form a player or not - some are late bloomers sure, but how do you make a 5 year deal with an 18 year old? In some instances - like with Payne, that is hopefully going to be a bloody steal. But that could have easily been a boat anchor deal for us if he turned out to be a mung bean.

Last edited:
I think the two biggest issues facing development clubs which are somewhat connected:

1) No strong financial incentive provided through the salary cap to develop and retain juniors.
2) No limit on how much an under 21 year old should be allowed to earn.

Every other week you hear of rediculous offers being made for unproven players and not sensible enough to make serious financial decisions.

I think it would be a major boon to development clubs if there was a salary ceiling placed on young players coming into the NRL, maybe growing year by year until it becomes uncapped at say 21.

This stops the silly offers coming in from non-development clubs forcing up the price of guys who are really just big kids. Some make it, some don't. It's also silly the pressure a half mil/year contract could put on a 18/19 year old. They should largely be playing for the love of the game and some decent cash. Not facing huge expectations / abuse / media pressure because the top $ recruit is not finding consistency.

If they were to cap it at like $150k max @ 19 and under, $180k @ 20, $250k @ 21 - the players are still able to earn a good amount of cash, then still largely have up to a decade to earn big money if they are good enough. It will also allow more cash in the salary cap to play the statesman players a bit more too who are taking bulk cuts just so the young blood doesnt go to the roosters infinite salary cap club.

Clubs can then also make informed decisions, by 21, you should be seeing some return on investment form a player or not - some are late bloomers sure, but how do you make a 5 year deal with an 18 year old? In some instances - like with Payne, that is hopefully going to be a bloody steal. But that could have easily been a boat anchor deal for us if he turned out to be a mung bean.
The only issue would be union, super league, ect. Coming in with even just $500k to get them over the line. They'd be in a wallabies jersey before they're 21.

I like the idea in principle, but the ceiling would need to be higher. It works in the NBA, NFL, etc. as there are no alternative leagues to poach them, but in the NRL there are plenty of similar sports with plenty of cash but no juniors. We'd be hamstringing ourselves to give other codes 2-3 years to watch and poach the best. Folau, GI, Xerri, Coates, etc. all looked the goods before 21.

I think there needs to be cap concessions for developed players. Even a 10% concession is an extra $100k on a $1M contract. I would allow this to be pushed up to 15% after 5 or 7 years for longer serving players.

If somehow a team was full of developed players it would have the potential to add an extra $1M on the cap, but who would be able to field a whole squad of developed players... and if somehow they were the extra cash would be on juniors rather than poaching other team's players so what's the harm outside of teams with zero scouts

Last edited:
The only issue would be union, super league, ect. Coming in with even just $500k to get them over the line. They'd be in a wallabies jersey before they're 21.

I like the idea in principle, but the ceiling would need to be higher. It works in the NBA, NFL, etc. as there are no alternative leagues to poach them, but in the NRL there are plenty of similar sports with plenty of cash but no juniors. We'd be hamstringing ourselves to give other codes 2-3 years to watch and poach the best. Folau, GI, Xerri, Coates, etc. all looked the goods before 21.

I think there needs to be cap concessions for developed players. Even a 10% concession is an extra $100k on a $1M contract. I would allow this to be pushed up to 15% after 5 or 7 years for longer serving players.

If somehow a team was full of developed players it would have the potential to add an extra $1M on the cap, but who would be able to field a whole squad of developed players... and if somehow they were the extra cash would be on juniors rather than poaching other team's players so what's the harm outside of teams with zero scouts
That's why the NRL should own them somehow. .

The NRL should have the best scouts and have players locked into the game and players would have to seek a transfer fee to release them out of the game

Agreed, plus the NRL needs to be far more active when it comes to "blocking" poaching attempts by rival codes.....i mean that's its fuckin job right..????

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.