NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

I also think the partying like pork chops on the piss for days on end post premiership is a bad look. I hate it. The cocaine sniffing sends me over the edge, and I don’t want my kid in this environment when hes a teenager. The NRL (and other sporting codes) absolutely need to clean up their image.

I also think the partying like pork chops on the piss for days on end post premiership is a bad look. I hate it. The cocaine sniffing sends me over the edge, and I don’t want my kid in this environment when hes a teenager. The NRL (and other sporting codes) absolutely need to clean up their image.
My mother used the term "footballer" as a pejorative, someone you cheered on as a gladiator, but not someone you'd aspire to become. I think it covered all bases.

No one has to. Surely you admit that a professional sportsperson who represents a team is a unique occupation? Its already been established that other sports treat their employees the same way.

Do you ever see players kitted out in club gear visiting a hospital, going to a sponsored dinner, being interviewed on tv, attending a school clinic, turning up to a corporate engagement? Do you think during these times the player can do, say and act in whatever manner they please or do they have to follow guidelines set by the club?

If you think the modern day team based athlete is only paid to turn up to training and game day you are mistaken. It's not unreasonable that part of their pay is to comply with the above and should they not, they lose that part of their salary.
I can see that's the prevailing point of view around here. I'm calling shenanigans to that. They're paid to play football. We didn't buy Adam Reynolds to be the face of Castlemaine XXXX, while being banned from enjoying it to its fullest.

Musicians, actors and TV presenters do the same kind of charitable work. ****, I even had to do it at boarding school. Do they get fined by their employers for getting on the turps or being dicks? Never. No one does.

I'm not objecting to suspensions, especially for on-field violations, but the fines, that's out of order. Cameron Munster could also tell the Storm to go **** themselves and leave to another club on higher money.

In all fairness, I don't think anyone cares that there isn't. The majority seem to agree that the fines are warranted under the conditions of this specific type of employment, regardless of what you think.

That's the great thing about the world. People can disagree, and in the end it doesn't matter because we'll all be dead someday and no one will be left to care.
Maybe if your boss fined you a few weeks pay for some traffic violation you'd see where I'm coming from. Never mind that you broke a law. What business is it of your boss to fine you above and beyond the courts?

And for many of us who are still kicking, we just don't care anyway, it is just fun to discuss something stupid.
YOU'RE stupid.

Maybe if your boss fined you a few weeks pay for some traffic violation you'd see where I'm coming from. Never mind that you broke a law. What business is it of your boss to fine you above and beyond the courts?

Teachers, Nurses, Police can be stood down without pay pending an investigation.

They're fined months of pay.

My mother used the term "footballer" as a pejorative, someone you cheered on as a gladiator, but not someone you'd aspire to become. I think it covered all bases.

I can see that's the prevailing point of view around here. I'm calling shenanigans to that. They're paid to play football. We didn't buy Adam Reynolds to be the face of Castlemaine XXXX, while being banned from enjoying it to its fullest.

Musicians, actors and TV presenters do the same kind of charitable work. ****, I even had to do it at boarding school. Do they get fined by their employers for getting on the turps or being dicks? Never. No one does.

I'm not objecting to suspensions, especially for on-field violations, but the fines, that's out of order. Cameron Munster could also tell the Storm to go **** themselves and leave to another club on higher money.

YOU'RE stupid.
I'm not bringing up the role model argument, I'm saying I don't want him going to the footy club and getting on a bender for a week-straight after the season. I Fricking hate that cultural standard. And it's across the board, starting at the top right down to grass roots footy. It's gross and immature.

I'm not bringing up the role model argument, I'm saying I don't want him going to the footy club and getting on a bender for a week-straight after the season. I Fricking hate that cultural standard. And it's across the board, starting at the top right down to grass roots footy. It's gross and immature.
Don't send him to a uni campus college then. O-week is a week long bender, and what follows is a scaled back version.

Teachers, Nurses, Police can be stood down without pay pending an investigation.

They're fined months of pay.
Again, they're not "fines." They're stood down without pay. Which is what I've been saying.

provided they aren't criminals about it, what does it matter? They are allowed to let off steam after being in a pressure cooker for 26 weeks+ every year.

provided they aren't criminals about it, what does it matter? They are allowed to let off steam after being in a pressure cooker for 26 weeks+ every year.

the second they have an illegal drug in their possession they have committed a CRIMINAL act

the second they have an illegal drug in their possession they have committed a CRIMINAL act
Good stuff? If they ding it beforehand, no problems.

Don't send him to a uni campus college then. O-week is a week long bender, and what follows is a scaled back version.

Again, they're not "fines." They're stood down without pay. Which is what I've been saying.

Of course it's a fine, saying we aren't going to pay you for 12 months go home is just a fine.

You keep saying no other work place can punish you with money- they can.

Of course it's a fine, saying we aren't going to pay you for 12 months go home is just a fine.

You keep saying no other work place can punish you with money- they can.
No, I didn't say that. I said it is common for employers to suspend without pay, but not to fine you. They're not the same thing. This is my point.

The Storm players have been handed one week suspensions PLUS massive fines on top of these suspensions. I suspect they're still being paid while suspended but I have no idea whether that's the case. At any rate the suspensions and the fines are separate.

No, I didn't say that. I said it is common for employers to suspend without pay, but not to fine you. They're not the same thing. This is my point.

The Storm players have been handed one week suspensions PLUS massive fines on top of these suspensions. I suspect they're still being paid while suspended but I have no idea whether that's the case. At any rate the suspensions and the fines are separate.

if they don't fucking like it they are well within their rights to reject the big contract offers and go flip burgers for minimum wage.

then they won't have to worry about fines, they just have to worry about termination

How is it different, if you're employer says we are fining you $2000 or we are standing you down for one week and not paying you $2000.

The result is the same.

Of course celebrities also do the same sort of work, they are also building their brand.

Non sports celebrities get dropped by their sponsors/brands often which means they stopped getting paid by said companies. Chris Brown, Kate Moss and such celebrities have lost endorsement deal, difference is the fine was 100% of what they were paying them.
Charlize Theron lost a Raymond Weil sponsorship for being photographed with a Christian Dior watch ffs. They fined her 100% of what they were going to pay her and also sued her for $20M which was settled out of court.

What celebrities and sports stars get paid for in terms of brand ambassador roles is not relateable to most occupations.

The Storm are a brand, they don't sell a product, the NRL sells and owns the product. They rely on the players, especially high profile ones to build their brand.

Think of it this way...part of their pay is to perform on field, part of their pay is being an ambassador of the club. This doesn't mean role model or having to help old ladies cross the street. It means that as part of their employment they are meant to uphold the brand of the club they are at.

The position that Munster and Smith put themselves in was not being a good ambassador for the Melbourne Storm. Doesn't really matter what % of the population consider it 'just a couple of guys letting off steam in the offseason'. This instance made national headlines in a negative light on the Storm. For that they are entitled to reduce or punish that part of the contract that involves being an ambassador of the club.

It doesn't relate to the average punter putting some dodgy shit on facebook as they are generally not remunerated to be a promoter of their employees brand, or if they are, no one gives a shit what they put on facebook so it has no influence.

Many players take advantage of this opportunity they get by doing charity work or promoting their club and turn it into a career after footy or increasing their personal brand for more sponsorship opportunities.
None of this makes sense. There's plenty of people who earn more than your run of the mill nrl player and if one of them does something similar nothing comes of it. It's a stupid notion to think rugby league players should have to measure up to some god like status just because they can play a game. Stupid parents, stupid society, stupid expectations.

Players are remunerated for playing the game and we should expect nothing more of them than that. This role model shit is dumb and if your kids think an nrl player is a role model he/she is getting it wrong and you as a parent have failed. One of the many things modern society has fucked up is hero worship, role model.

YOU'RE stupid.
I could not find the NRL players agreement, the best I could do was the NSWRL player agreement. Read and enjoy. Once again, you are not dense, I just cannot understand why you can't seem to grasp that if any employment contract allows the employer to fine an employee for misconduct they are entitled to utilise that power.

I can provide you with other examples involving employers fining employees if you want them, but here is one:

Australian Research Council

The sanctions​

Applying sanctions for breaches of the APS Code of Conduct is primarily aimed at protecting the integrity of the APS and maintaining public confidence in public administration rather than to punish an individual.

Sanctions are intended to be proportionate to the nature of the breach, to provide a clear message to the relevant employee that their behaviour was not acceptable, to reduce or eliminate the likelihood of future similar behaviour, and to confirm that misconduct is not tolerated in our agency.

Wherever possible, the decision on which sanction to apply for a breach of the Code of Conduct is made by a different Delegate to the one who made the decision that the employee had breached the Code.

The possible sanctions for breaching the Code of Conduct are:

• termination of employment
  • reduction in classification
  • reassignment of duties
  • reduction in salary;
  • deductions from salary by way of fine (not be more than 2% of the employee’s annual salary)
  • a reprimand.

Re your cameron munster example, the Storm would be entitled to seek an injunction restraining him from signing with another league team. The NRL would be entitled to not register the new contract.

He could go an sign with rugby union, that would appear to be his only option.

Active Now

• kman
  • azza.79
  • Bish
  • Culhwch
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.