NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

None of this makes sense. There's plenty of people who earn more than your run of the mill nrl player and if one of them does something similar nothing comes of it. It's a stupid notion to think rugby league players should have to measure up to some god like status just because they can play a game. Stupid parents, stupid society, stupid expectations.

Players are remunerated for playing the game and we should expect nothing more of them than that. This role model shit is dumb and if your kids think an nrl player is a role model he/she is getting it wrong and you as a parent have failed. One of the many things modern society has fucked up is hero worship, role model.
I actually made the point to say they are not role models if you bothered to read my posts so not sure a lot of your post is relevant in a reply to me.

Nice leap from your statement of measuring up to a God like status vs. not being caught on video with drug vibes but I guess exaggeration comes easy to some…

My apologies, forgot to attach the player agreement.

Re my previous post, the ability to fine applies to all Commonwealth employees:

Penalties​

Background​

12.96 Under the Public Service Act, an agency head may impose one of the following penalties for a breach of the Code of Conduct: termination of employment; reduction in classification; re-assignment of duties; reduction in salary; deductions from salary, by way of fine, which is not to exceed 2% of the APS employee’s annual salary;[109] and a reprimand.[110] An agency head may also prescribe other action in order to reduce the risk of further misconduct provided it is clearly cast as management action and not a penalty.[111]

Attachments

• nswrl-standard-playing-agreement-.pdf
    524.8 KB · Views: 226
I actually made the point to say they are not role models if you bothered to read my posts so not sure a lot of your post is relevant in a reply to me.

Nice leap from your statement of measuring up to a God like status vs. not being caught on video with drug vibes but I guess exaggeration comes easy to some…
Mmm, if I read you wrong I'm sorry and I probably wasn't making points in response to you personally. That would be 'my bad'.

Mmm, if I read you wrong I'm sorry and I probably wasn't making points in response to you personally. That would be 'my bad'.
All good huge…I totally agree they are not role models.

Of course celebrities also do the same sort of work, they are also building their brand.

Non sports celebrities get dropped by their sponsors/brands often which means they stopped getting paid by said companies. Chris Brown, Kate Moss and such celebrities have lost endorsement deal, difference is the fine was 100% of what they were paying them.
Charlize Theron lost a Raymond Weil sponsorship for being photographed with a Christian Dior watch ffs. They fined her 100% of what they were going to pay her and also sued her for $20M which was settled out of court.

What celebrities and sports stars get paid for in terms of brand ambassador roles is not relateable to most occupations.

The Storm are a brand, they don't sell a product, the NRL sells and owns the product. They rely on the players, especially high profile ones to build their brand.
After re reading your other post I wondered about the part where you say 'part of their remuneration is for sporting performance and part is for ambassadorial duties', obviously paraphrasing you here. It made me wonder about how that is presented? Like , do they say 80% of what we pay you is for your onfield efforts and the remainder is for your other 'role' ?

After re reading your other post I wondered about the part where you say 'part of their remuneration is for sporting performance and part is for ambassadorial duties', obviously paraphrasing you here. It made me wonder about how that is presented? Like , do they say 80% of what we pay you is for your onfield efforts and the remainder is for your other 'role' ?
No, I don’t think it is as clear cut as that and of course I am only guessing as never seen a footballers contract.

The fact they are now kitted up in team gear and paraded around as ambassador’s or representatives of the club away from the field of play makes me believe that there is some understanding that not only are you paid to perform but also paid to uphold (or at least not diminish) the clubs brand. If they do I don’t think fining them is unreasonable and is different compared to most occupations.

I could be wrong, won’t be the first or last, but considering the evidence from not just the NRL but other sporting codes I am comfortable in my reasoning.

Mate you are off base here.

You can be disciplined and even have your employment terminated (subject to the circumstances) for conduct occurring outside the workplace.

Following from the seminal decision in Rose v Telstra, we know that there must be a relevant connection between the out of hours conduct in question and the employment relationship. In summary, it must be shown that:

1. the conduct, viewed objectively, is likely to cause serious damage to the relationship between the employer and the employee;
  2. the conduct damages the employer’s interests; or
  3. the conduct is incompatible with the employee’s duty as an employee.

Social media content?

An employee who sent explicit private messages on Facebook Messenger to 20 of his Facebook friends (19 of them being colleagues) was validly dismissed, for the following reasons:

• several employees had complained about the message
  • the employee had been dishonest and uncooperative
  • the nexus was established as those who had received the message would not have been Facebook friends with the employee were it not for his employment
Sexual harassment?

In Applicant v Employer, an employee attending training at a hotel groped a waitress at that hotel after work hours. His dismissal was valid for the following reasons:
  • his stay at the hotel was organised and paid for by the employer
  • he was only in the bar as a result of his employment relationship with the company
  • he was drinking with work colleagues, and was to be working the following day
  • he had previously been given a warning for his misconduct
  • the incident had the potential to damage the employer’s reputation
  • the fact that he wasn’t in his normal work location did not discharge him from the responsibility to behave in a way consistent with the conditions of his employment
Another social media case:
A senior commonwealth public servant sacked for posting anonymous criticism of the government on social media:

You might also remember that the NRL introduced the stand down policy in respect of serious criminal charges that have to date all related to conduct out of work hours. The NRL was able to present evidence to the Federal Court of its interest suffering significant potential damage by a number of sponsors threatening to walk away from the game.

So if you can be legitimately sacked for out of hours conduct, why can't you be fined as part of a disciplinary penalty?

I can find you a heap more examples if you want them.

No, I don’t think it is as clear cut as that and of course I am only guessing as never seen a footballers contract.

The fact they are now kitted up in team gear and paraded around as ambassador’s or representatives of the club away from the field of play makes me believe that there is some understanding that not only are you paid to perform but also paid to uphold (or at least not diminish) the clubs brand. If they do I don’t think fining them is unreasonable and is different compared to most occupations.

I could be wrong, won’t be the first or last, but considering the evidence from not just the NRL but other sporting codes I am comfortable in my reasoning.
I don't dispute your reasoning! Nothing unsound here. My question though does raise a valid point I believe.

If a club does expect an ambassadorial role as part of the contract what 'value' does it place on it?
What right does the club have to cut the wages/fine a player when that player ONLY failed in the ambassadorial role?
In the scenario where a player absolutely delivered onfield but was less successful as an ambassador what justification does the club have for total penalties on a partial failure?

I was thinking more along the lines of when you break the photocopier glass trying to scan your arsecrack. Who can honestly say, etc...

But is it really? Not sure I'm buying into that. No one has yet come up with another employer outside sport that routinely fines its employees.
Defence force do it all the time.

How is it different, if you're employer says we are fining you $2000 or we are standing you down for one week and not paying you $2000.

The result is the same.
Then suspend them without pay and don't fine them. That is my point.

if they don't fucking like it they are well within their rights to reject the big contract offers and go flip burgers for minimum wage.

then they won't have to worry about fines, they just have to worry about termination
You sound like Peter Vlandys.

Of course celebrities also do the same sort of work, they are also building their brand.

Non sports celebrities get dropped by their sponsors/brands often which means they stopped getting paid by said companies. Chris Brown, Kate Moss and such celebrities have lost endorsement deal, difference is the fine was 100% of what they were paying them.
Charlize Theron lost a Raymond Weil sponsorship for being photographed with a Christian Dior watch ffs. They fined her 100% of what they were going to pay her and also sued her for $20M which was settled out of court.

What celebrities and sports stars get paid for in terms of brand ambassador roles is not relateable to most occupations.

The Storm are a brand, they don't sell a product, the NRL sells and owns the product. They rely on the players, especially high profile ones to build their brand.
I keep saying it's not unfair to suspend without pay, and everyone keeps giving me examples of being suspended or sacked. The NRL is suspending AND issuing fines over and above what the Australian courts are imposing. They are treating these players more harshly than any other industry. And I'm not buying into this contrived bullshit they're role models.

As for paid endorsements being pulled, and winding up in court, that's a civil matter and not an extrajudicial process.

I'm not sure whether that's true (fining them), but somehow I don't think the country's national security is at stake here.
If your superiors had seen a video of you using drugs, you’d be gone, if they randomly test you (which they do) and were positive, you would be charged and fined. Then have to show cause to stay in and then be with the regimental police for at least 7 days wishing you just got out instead.

I’m only talking infantry here who obviously handle the stuff you need to be switched on for. Not footy players

I don’t know how the other corps handle it.

I'm not sure whether that's true (fining them), but somehow I don't think the country's national security is at stake here.
It's totally true and no one is talking about national security... just an employer who fines employees on top of normal law punishments if they choose to.

I'd love this to be made into a poster and have it placed on the walls leading out to the field for magic round. Hopefully Coates, Fifita and Walsh get to have a read and a think about it.
View attachment 18294
this year Keenan has quickly become one of my favourites.
Between this and Rikis comments when he signed this is what we need our players to be like Herbie should have a good look at this before he makes a decision.

this year Keenan has quickly become one of my favourites.
Between this and Rikis comments when he signed this is what we need our players to be like Herbie should have a good look at this before he makes a decision.
I also love his quip to the journo who asked him if he minded coming off the bench instead of starting. He quickly fired back "I'll peel oranges for Kevvie if i thought it would help the team". When I heard that I had a quiet chuckle as I know it's attitudes like that that form the foundations of premiership winning teams.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Matheos
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.