Referees should work for a KPI (key performance indicator)

Its far beyond due.

Do you want to elaborate a bit more on what goal this is going to achieve or how it would actually be measured?

The rules are so grey on some 50/50 calls and moments in a match are so varied. Something that I would call a mistake or bad call, is a good call to someone else and vice versa.

Do you want to elaborate a bit more on what goal this is going to achieve or how it would actually be measured?

The rules are so grey on some 50/50 calls and moments in a match are so varied. Something that I would call a mistake or bad call, is a good call to someone else and vice versa.
Despite calling it a terrible decision, I understand that souths BOTD try is something that some people will accept, but if you can't see how wrong the Reed sin bin was, you need to take the primitive 3D glasses off, seriously!

or the GI ball over the dead ball line call and the so called blocker penalty.

I think there was as much BOTD in Sam's no try as there was in the Souffs try. Or Hodgo's "knock on".

I am sick of the ref's having an impact on the game, that was an APPALLING display of arrogance from all the refs. Even the Broncos got away with 3 Fwd passes, and how could they miss the ball going dead & Inglis step on the line? (even tho it shoulda been a 20m tap, they still missed it!).

That clown better be sacked for that sin bin. Seriously pathetic from Klein. Also the blocker call was odd since Souths did the same thing and got away with it.

Thought 2 refs were meant to improve the standard?

The asotasi prowler tackle on Wallace, the massively late tackle on Wallace after he kicked.

The asotasi prowler tackle on Wallace, the massively late tackle on Wallace after he kicked.

to be fair with the late tackle on Wallace, since we got the ball back, i think they were right to play the advantage and we did get a try out of it because Souths defensive line was broken.

Not that one, he was tackled/thrown to the ground after he put up a bomb a set or two earlier

Despite calling it a terrible decision, I understand that souths BOTD try is something that some people will accept, but if you can't see how wrong the Reed sin bin was, you need to take the primitive 3D glasses off, seriously!

Have you actually watched any Souths matches where calls have cost us due to our soft defence couldn't sustain the extra hit that shouldn't have been allowed.

Against the Storm, Billy Slater knocks the ball on on their own 10, they call it backwards and the second player for all money drops it as well but they call play on and we get penalised on the 4th of that set. I am pretty sure they score off the next set. If we get the ball where we should have, then we have all chances of scoring and who knows what happens.

The sin binning of Reed is very much the 50/50 call I am talking about. The break was made and Reed held down for a fraction too long. Reynolds was on his feet with Reed still holding on. I feel the knee back into the play trying to dislodge the ball was the foul that got him binned.

This is where the consistency from the refs needs to come into play. Do they bin every try saving tackler? As most hold down as long as they can. Should they just blow the penalty?

The problem with just a penalty is the attacking team doesn't get a real advantage, even more so when the team is a good defensive team. The attacking team does get an advantage, if the opposing team is down 1 player.

Most players are running the risk of getting the 50/50 call in their favour. You saved the try and a penalty for 2 points is better than a try or being binned. It is the fine line you have to run.

I called for him to be sin binned as we watched it and I was actually surprised they went that way. I am pretty sure that there will be another match this round which will have a very similar incident and it will only result in the penalty. It just happened to be your team that had the call against them and you are not happy about it. I can remember it happening to us last year or the year before, I think it was Merritt or Sutton and it was a harsh but fair call.

Plus someone said Asotasi had a prowler. I saw Anderson do the same thing but not a mention from anyone. Was Gillett's tackle on Corrigan very similar to Frank Pritchard's? It was a good hit but was the shoulder contact high? If Corrigan stays down we get to have another look at it and could have been put on report, but he is a pretty tough guy and got straight up.

As I have said in the match day thread, I thought the refing was fine. They got a few calls wrong, the sin binning not being one but most calls were acceptable. Yet, feel free to whinge if you wish. Try being a Souths supporter and seeing the 50/50 calls we have go against us and get back to me.

However another example is just on the Dragons vs Manly match right now. The play just before half time IMO was a try to Soward. The ball comes off Soward it goes backwards is hit by 2 Manly players, 1 was offside as well. Soward gets the ball back and takes off and finishes the play under the posts but the refs stopped the play calling it knock on while he was on the 50 metre mark instead of calling play on and letting the video ref decide

I just thought of another one. Issac Luke gets a week for making contact with the ref and it looked bad. However I am pretty sure they changed the ruling after JT last year that any contact was to result in a charge. Round 2 - Dugan made contact with the refs in trying to stop a try against the Titans. I have not heard one person mention this, even Tee thought the same on his FB status update when it happened.

Last edited:
So basically...

Yes Souths got some lucky calls last night but they've received some dusty ones in the past and they're an ordinary side so it all evens out?

Terribly reffed game last night with a number of controversial calls, that have already been posted. I thought the Reed sinbin and the late tackle on Wallace were the most controversial. The refs need to go OPSM.

If you really think that sin bin was really a 50/50 call you are on some good gear. It was hardly penalty worthy. Poor Souths.. Should never have been let back in the comp

I don't really know what type of KPIs you set for a referee. It's not like a job where you have to reach certain quotas or anything.

As for the Reed sin-binning, I applaud the action, but strongly disagree with the call. For mine, Reed let go and Reynolds just milked it by falling forward. Reed, IMO, wasn't holding down un-necessarily and it shouldn't have been a penalty. With that said though, in that particular instance, if you think it is a penalty, IMO, you should send the offender to the sin bin as well. So I agree with the decision to send the offender to the bin, I just disagree there was an infringement to begin with.

Personally, I think a better option is to explore a longer advantage like they do in Rugby Union. Let Souths have an attacking set after the Reynolds play the ball so it is not as simple to just concede a penalty and only concede the 2 instead of 6. Likewise, if Beale doesn't score after the Hunt regather, bring the penalty back for the late hit on Wallace. It'll stop teams conceding penalties to limit the damage to 2, and it will stop the ridiculous number of penalty goal attempts that we see these days.

So basically...

Yes Souths got some lucky calls last night but they've received some dusty ones in the past and they're an ordinary side so it all evens out?

No I am saying you guys are whinging over nothing. Poor refing decisions have been happening for a very long time and many other teams have experienced it before you, including Souths (only because I attend so many games and see things you don't catch when watching the TV coverage).

The problem with 50/50 calls is that they are open to opinions. Was the call made the right one and in many cases they are open to the bias of your team. Not everyone is going to agree with all the decisions the refs make in an 80 minute match. Just like some on here say the refs sucked, I reckon they went ok and some Souths fans saying the sucked against us. It is open to what the viewer sees in the call.

However this topic was about KPI's for ref's. No-one has still really said what goal they are going to achieve or how this is could be implemented. They obviously have rules and guidelines in place to minimise mistakes as best they can, but what is a mistake on a 50/50 call. Another thing to ponder is if our match was played again by any pair of the left over refs the performance from the refs could have been the same, worse or better depending on which team you supported and how bias you are.

Brisbane fans are simply calling a spade a spade. Brisbane received the rough end of the pineapple last night and that's the general consensus among the media and neutrals who tend to have it in for the Broncs.

Implying that we don't know how hard it is to accept bad referee calls comes across as immature - like a teenager having a sook to his parents. We've copped our fair share in the past and we'll continue to.

And I don't know about whinging. I'm stoked my team has the mental capacity to face adversity like they did. Acknowledging such adversity is hardly whinging.

If you really think that sin bin was really a 50/50 call you are on some good gear. It was hardly penalty worthy. Poor Souths.. Should never have been let back in the comp

I wasn't saying it was 50/50 I was saying that was a poor call that should never have been given.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Skathen
  • Brotherdu
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • MrMoore
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Yem
  • Broncorob
  • ezpz
  • Rookie Alan
  • Palmer Wapau Fanclub
  • Sproj
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.