NEWS Renouf: How Roberts can break my Broncos try-scoring record

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Why does he look more a right side player? His highlight package from the raiders is probably more left than right and mostly from fullback. He steps better off his right and passes better to his left.
I'm not sure what highlights package you watched but the longer version definetly showed more right sided plays with him playing a 5/8th-like role from fullback

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Milford doesn’t need to change sides he just needs to roam more and link up with Niko more like JT does.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Stepping better off his right is better on the right side, like Hodges and Hunt. On the left, he'll step right over the sideline. I actually do seem to recall that even at the Broncs, he got most of his breaks angling his runs more towards the right.
Agree about the passing though, most right handers prefer throwing to their left. Then again, passing isn't his strongest game anyway.

Playing at 6 he would hopefully be trying to make space for his outside players not stepping back towards the ruck Especially if JTJ was on the left side with him the D would be shitting

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Why does he look more a right side player? His highlight package from the raiders is probably more left than right and mostly from fullback. He steps better off his right and passes better to his left.

He actually floats across the line from left to right leading to short balls (prev Jarrod Wallace and Korbin, Ofa and Glenn in that video below) and line breaks by getting outside the man (line break against sharks).

He doesn't seem to do that from right to left and when kicking balls to the in goal quite often has to kick off the outside of his boot because he's drifting left. I don't think he has all that much of a long passing game to suggest that he does favour right to left passing and I'm pretty sure he steps off both feet. Although a right foot step is more suited to the right side as it allows you to get inside your man if they're rushing.

I actually want him playing both sides and stretching the defence by moving across the line with ball in hand rather than sitting in a confined channel and having to find the right pass or beat a rushing defence.

I think his best position would be centrally as the first receiver as it gives him the entire field to work and plenty of room to drift across the line.

The highlights video below shows several examples of milf on the right and he wasn't even a right side player.

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015

Lol same one I watched. 15-13 right side vs left with a few line breaks or tries in the middle. And he was definetly playing a running 5/8th role in most of them-running to the line with ball in hand creating the space himself rather then running off the hip of his 5/8th-half creating the space for him

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The whole point of moving Roberts to the left is to get him linking up with Milford.

I don't see why Bird probably going to lock in 2019 would impact that decision.

Isn't it more though that our other current centers wont be as big a threat as Bird? I do agree though, wont have an impact on Milf and Jimmy playing same side

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
What the 2 videos confirm is either one of the following, or a combination of both:

- he isn’t as fit / electric off the mark as he used to be at the Raiders / early at the Broncos, and / or;
- teams are defending him better.

I tend to think it’s a bit of both.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
It's easy to make those sorts of breaks when you're not doing as much D from fullback or coming in off the bench though..

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
As exciting as Milford is, Roberts still is still the long range try master.

Which he actually rarely does by himself and really Roberts hasn't really created something from nothing as much as he should be so I'm not sure how he is more of a something from nothing player than Milford who has done it on more occasions than what Roberts has.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Which he actually rarely does by himself and really Roberts hasn't really created something from nothing as much as he should be so I'm not sure how he is more of a something from nothing player than Milford who has done it on more occasions than what Roberts has.
Serious Roberts in any sort of space has carved at will... just because he's not doing it from dummy half doesn't mean he needs help.

Roberts was enormous last year... below videos has plenty of highlights of him making something from nothing

roo-ted

roo-ted

NRL Player
Oct 8, 2017
I don't think we were watching the same games last year

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I don't think we were watching the same games last year

You're probably right.

Because Roberts didn't do it as much as people think.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Only created more long range tries than any other Bronco. But nah didn't do much.

Only scored the most tries of any broncos. But nah didn't do much.

Considering how little he touches the ball compared to the other side of the field, I'd say thats pretty damn impressive.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.