NEWS Reynolds gives Mam boost ahead of Broncos crunch match

BHQArticleImageLarge28

Brisbane five-eighth Ezra Mam has missed the presence of Adam Reynolds, but the inspirational captain's return to action is not far away after he trained fully with the side on Tuesday.

Reynolds has been named on an extended bench for Saturday's away clash with Newcastle after not playing since rupturing a biceps in round nine.

Coach Kevin Walters said recently he was on track for round 22, two weeks away, but there is hope he could return earlier.

The Broncos have lost their past six games in a row and play the Knights with their season on the line. Reynolds has been encouraging the players as they endure a form slump, including Mam.

The Broncos say Reynolds is an outside chance of playing against the Knights, but will still need to get through two full training sessions this week.

"We are not too sure when Reyno's full return is. We are happy to have him back training with us," Mam said.

"He is definitely helping and guiding our halves and spine. Having him training is big for our team. When he comes back, we don't know, but it will be a big impact for us.

"He has been very sad to miss out and wants to come back as fast as he can.

"I have missed him on the field, but having said that it has been a good opportunity for myself to step up and take control of the team. It has been a bit of growth for myself and handling the game."

Mam said poor discipline and errors were hurting the Broncos, and he conceded he needed to be better.

"All of us individually in our team have got to find another level in our game. With myself I have to focus on my job," he said.

"When I make an error it really hurts me. That is how much I love it. I never mean to make an error but that is the attitude we have all got to have, and move on from our mistakes."

No team in premiership history has come back and won the title after losing six games in a row, but Mam said the Broncos could.

"Definitely. We like to break records," he said.

"They say that no team has won the grand final after six losses in a row, and we would like to break that one this year."

Mam made his NRL debut in Newcastle three years ago, and it was Reynolds who told him he was in the side to replace him.

"We both had to do a fitness test because he was injured," Mam grinned.

"I had come off an injury in Queensland Cup with my quad and he pulled up a bit sore and told me (I was in)."

Mam had to borrow a pair of boots to play on that occasion after leaving his in his locker in Brisbane. He's taking three or four pairs with him to Newcastle this time.

Brisbane will make a call on their State of Origin players Reece Walsh, Payne Haas, Patrick Carrigan and Selwyn Cobbo later in the week.

Canberra Times

🙏 Can go on a decent run if Adam lobs back this week

Active Now

• Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • Kev_Guz
  • Wild Horse
  • Lostboy
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • pennywisealfie
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosAlways
  • BruiserMk1
  • DrGee
  • broncos4life
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bronx48
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Waynesaurus
  • Loch Ness Monster
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.