NEWS Reynolds states players not involved in Kev axing decision

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Interview with Adam Reynolds in Courier Mail... link to article below quotes provided here:

“Like everyone else in the playing group, I certainly didn’t see it coming,” he said.
“We had no idea. Players weren’t told. I guess things break pretty quick."
“Unfortunately, we didn’t get told as a playing group and most of us found out through the news, but I’ve since spoken to Dave (Donaghy, Broncos CEO) and he addressed the playing group and apologised for it coming out that way."
“I’ve got a great relationship with Kev. I’m forever thankful for him giving me the opportunity to come up to this club.
“I loved being coached by him.”

“Yeah, I’ve texted him (Kevin Walters). I had a little text back. I was sort of waiting for things to die down and I’ll give him a buzz and obviously check in and see how he’s going."
“He’s still going to be involved in the club, which is great. But no matter what happens, I hope he’s OK.”

“It’s still a bit of a shock that he won’t be there next year,” Reynolds said “Kev’s done an awesome job, he took over a wooden spoon team and got us to the heights of making the grand final."
“Obviously the year that we’ve had isn’t his fault, it’s a number of things that went wrong, a lot of injuries and other things that were out of his control.

“From all understanding, I thought we’d reassess and see how we were going after 10 rounds next year."
“We got through the review and it pretty much was going to outline what was in store for pre-season from my understanding Kevvie would be there.
“It’s not ideal for us but we don’t make those decisions as players. That’s above us and obviously I’m very grateful for what Kev’s done for us.
“Unfortunately we couldn’t have a good season and just wish we could have done a bit more for him.”

“No, I don’t agree with that (players sacking the coach),” Reynolds said.
“I can’t see a reason why they’d be off Kev.”
“I’d be very surprised if that was the case.
“We wouldn’t be in the position we are today, with the quality in the football side we have, unless Kev was there.

“In my eyes, he’s done nothing but good things for the club. He’s a winner, he wants to win. He’s very passionate. He wears his heart on his sleeve like we’ve all seen and no-one sort of epitomises the Broncos as much as Kevvie does.
“I believe he could have got us back to another grand final. Kev’s a great coach. He got us to the grand final 12 months prior to this year, so there’s no reason why we couldn’t have got back there.
“If anything could have gone wrong this year, it did for us.
“I don’t believe Kev was the issue.”

“Kev is a massive reason why I came to the Broncos,” Reynolds said.
“He was very influential. I didn’t know much about Kev as a person or had much to do with him prior to coming to the Broncos, but from that moment he flew down to Sydney, I felt this connection straight away.
“We were pretty much on the same page. We wanted the same outcome, we’re both pretty passionate guys that just want to win football games. I’m forever grateful for that opportunity Kev gave me, the faith he showed.”

“He’s got a great legacy as a player,” he said. “This club were wooden spooners when Kev took over and he did a lot of wonderful things to put things in place and get us back to where we can get to.
“He’s got a good understanding of balance. Some coaches can go too far the other way and go over the top, but I think Kev definitely has a good balance of hard work, discipline but then also enjoying our job.
“It’s important to understand that sometimes we can forget about the enjoyment side of things in rugby league and certainly with Kev he makes you appreciate what you’ve got.
“Kev’s biggest strength was always challenging the playing group, which I loved.
“His passion was unbeatable, it rubbed off on the players.
“He really cares about his players. He doesn’t fabricate things. He doesn’t beat around the bush. He’s not fake. He’s genuine. He bleeds what the club’s about.
“He’s a great man, but overall, most importantly, he’s a family man.
“That’s what I love about Kev, I see a lot of similarities between myself and him.”

“Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get to the heights that we reached the year before, but that’s not Kevin’s fault. That’s also on us players,” he said.
“As a group we need to have a hard look at ourselves and be honest that we weren’t good enough.
“We have to take ownership, 100 per cent. We’re out there playing the game, not the coach. If we’re not getting results, that’s got to be an onus on the players as well.
“I’m sure whoever comes in will put the onus on us to make sure we get the job done.
“I just feel for Kevvie because he put a lot of great, hard work into the club. I’ve never seen anyone care about the Broncos as much as Kev does. The passion that he shows is pretty special and something that I’ll always try and live up to.
“No doubt a lot of us are going to have a look in the mirror, see how we can get better and get back to playing the footy that we know we can.”

Interview with Adam Reynolds in Courier Mail... link to article below quotes provided here:

“Like everyone else in the playing group, I certainly didn’t see it coming,” he said.
“We had no idea. Players weren’t told. I guess things break pretty quick."
“Unfortunately, we didn’t get told as a playing group and most of us found out through the news, but I’ve since spoken to Dave (Donaghy, Broncos CEO) and he addressed the playing group and apologised for it coming out that way."
“I’ve got a great relationship with Kev. I’m forever thankful for him giving me the opportunity to come up to this club.
“I loved being coached by him.”

“Yeah, I’ve texted him (Kevin Walters). I had a little text back. I was sort of waiting for things to die down and I’ll give him a buzz and obviously check in and see how he’s going."
“He’s still going to be involved in the club, which is great. But no matter what happens, I hope he’s OK.”

“It’s still a bit of a shock that he won’t be there next year,” Reynolds said “Kev’s done an awesome job, he took over a wooden spoon team and got us to the heights of making the grand final."
“Obviously the year that we’ve had isn’t his fault, it’s a number of things that went wrong, a lot of injuries and other things that were out of his control.

“From all understanding, I thought we’d reassess and see how we were going after 10 rounds next year."
“We got through the review and it pretty much was going to outline what was in store for pre-season from my understanding Kevvie would be there.
“It’s not ideal for us but we don’t make those decisions as players. That’s above us and obviously I’m very grateful for what Kev’s done for us.
“Unfortunately we couldn’t have a good season and just wish we could have done a bit more for him.”

“No, I don’t agree with that (players sacking the coach),” Reynolds said.
“I can’t see a reason why they’d be off Kev.”
“I’d be very surprised if that was the case.
“We wouldn’t be in the position we are today, with the quality in the football side we have, unless Kev was there.

“In my eyes, he’s done nothing but good things for the club. He’s a winner, he wants to win. He’s very passionate. He wears his heart on his sleeve like we’ve all seen and no-one sort of epitomises the Broncos as much as Kevvie does.
“I believe he could have got us back to another grand final. Kev’s a great coach. He got us to the grand final 12 months prior to this year, so there’s no reason why we couldn’t have got back there.
“If anything could have gone wrong this year, it did for us.
“I don’t believe Kev was the issue.”

“Kev is a massive reason why I came to the Broncos,” Reynolds said.
“He was very influential. I didn’t know much about Kev as a person or had much to do with him prior to coming to the Broncos, but from that moment he flew down to Sydney, I felt this connection straight away.
“We were pretty much on the same page. We wanted the same outcome, we’re both pretty passionate guys that just want to win football games. I’m forever grateful for that opportunity Kev gave me, the faith he showed.”

“He’s got a great legacy as a player,” he said. “This club were wooden spooners when Kev took over and he did a lot of wonderful things to put things in place and get us back to where we can get to.
“He’s got a good understanding of balance. Some coaches can go too far the other way and go over the top, but I think Kev definitely has a good balance of hard work, discipline but then also enjoying our job.
“It’s important to understand that sometimes we can forget about the enjoyment side of things in rugby league and certainly with Kev he makes you appreciate what you’ve got.
“Kev’s biggest strength was always challenging the playing group, which I loved.
“His passion was unbeatable, it rubbed off on the players.
“He really cares about his players. He doesn’t fabricate things. He doesn’t beat around the bush. He’s not fake. He’s genuine. He bleeds what the club’s about.
“He’s a great man, but overall, most importantly, he’s a family man.
“That’s what I love about Kev, I see a lot of similarities between myself and him.”

“Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get to the heights that we reached the year before, but that’s not Kevin’s fault. That’s also on us players,” he said.
“As a group we need to have a hard look at ourselves and be honest that we weren’t good enough.
“We have to take ownership, 100 per cent. We’re out there playing the game, not the coach. If we’re not getting results, that’s got to be an onus on the players as well.
“I’m sure whoever comes in will put the onus on us to make sure we get the job done.
“I just feel for Kevvie because he put a lot of great, hard work into the club. I’ve never seen anyone care about the Broncos as much as Kev does. The passion that he shows is pretty special and something that I’ll always try and live up to.
“No doubt a lot of us are going to have a look in the mirror, see how we can get better and get back to playing the footy that we know we can.”

It doesn't seem that Reynolds is particularly happy with the Maguire appointment. He's seems to be trying to be as diplomatic as you would expect your captain to be but man, Maguire I think is going to have his work cut out. Kudos to him if he is successful.

How is Kev going to be still involved with the club?

It doesn't seem that Reynolds is particularly happy with the Maguire appointment. He's seems to be trying to be as diplomatic as you would expect your captain to be but man, Maguire I think is going to have his work cut out. Kudos to him if he is successful.

His mate got fired 1 week ago. Obviously he's not going to shit on him by praising Madge a few days later. You can't really take much from his public comments.

I actually think you're reading too much into it. Granted I've only read his comments, but when you do he doesn't seem to have an issue with Madge, actually quite the contrary, his comments show that Madge is the coach we need.

IMO, AReys comments can be summed up as follows:
  • He is 'disappointed' in club management for the way Kevvies sacking unfolded.
  • He loved being coached by Kev and is trying to ensure the players cop the blame for performances rather than Kev
  • He respects Madge and what he brings to a footy team.

A 'Broncos ambassador' - Donuts mentioned this in the sacking announcement. The reporters asked what this means and he said the details will be sorted out when the contract is drafted.

A 'Broncos ambassador' - Donuts mentioned this in the sacking announcement. The reporters asked what this means and he said the details will be sorted out when the contract is drafted.
A dodgy way of paying out Kev without impacting the cap on the football department?

Club ambassador... like Gordie is with titans... except Kevvie actually played for the club and all that... unlike Gordon "Im a titan" Tallis haha

Reynolds probably wanted Walters to continue because he was the actual one steering the ship. Like in the interview Cobbo was in sometime last year, he stated that Reynolds not Walters was the one controlling the team.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • PETERN
  • johnyE
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • broncoscope
  • JayTeeM
  • Bongo
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Redfern_1980
  • Confidor
  • Dexter
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.