Ricky Stuart (liar or memory problem)

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Stuart fearing Origin III ambush

NSW coach Ricky Stuart is fearing a State of Origin ambush amid the hysteria surrounding Queensland great Darren Lockyer’s Maroons’ swansong in the series decider.

Having been a part of Wally Lewis’ emotional Origin farewell in 1991, Stuart said he is hoping history won’t repeat itself on Wednesday week before a parochial Suncorp Stadium crowd.

“It happened to me in 1991 – I was a player, it was one-all, we were headed to Brisbane, it was Wally Lewis’ last game and the whole environment changed,” Stuart said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/stat ... omment-add

Wally announced his retirement after the game. [icon_lol1.

Maybe he announced I publicly after the game, the players might have known before hand?

If the players knew, there wouldn't be any hysteria from them. (well from QLD players there would)

Aeetee said:
Maybe he announced I publicly after the game, the players might have known before hand?
He clearly implies that public and officials were all in that ambush.
It's just another pityful attempt at gaining the refs favours before the game, that backfired and blew up in his face, although I do believe he truly fears what Qld will do to his pathetic team. [icon_shru

Stuart has been trying very hard on the sob stories for NSW this series, it's getting tiresome. I don't know if it was Meninga or Livermore in one of the articles covering this who said, when we play down there, we work around them. When they play up here, they work around us.

Just give it a rest Ricky you wanker.

His ref bashing before game 2 worked wonders for his team, so of course he's gonna do it again.

He is trying to create that siege mentality among his squad which has worked so well for us over the years. Make no mistake he is no dill, if he can get his players to buy into it and create that feeling it is a powerful motivator for a short series and particularly a final effort for 1 game.

Loved it that Wally himself called Stuart out on the Ch 9 news last night - pointing out that very thing that he announced his retirement after the game [icon_lol1. Also I do remember him saying at the time that he actually didn't make up his mind himself until about 2 days before the game and didn't tell his team-mates until in the sheds just before running out, so pretty much no-one knew in the lead up (maybe one or 2 of his absolute closest mates).

tbf, everyone thought it was wallys last game.

That plus it wasn't TOTALLY after the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_State ... Game_Three

Ten minutes before the end of the game the Lang Park ground announcer reminded the capacity crowd that Wally Lewis was playing his last game for Queensland. The Maroons supporters roared as they never had before to lift their weary gladiators to the line and Lewis to his ultimate victory and slow farewell lap around his home ground, hand-in-hand with his two young sons. Queensland manager Dick "Tosser" Turner later admitted that Lewis had given an instruction and plotted the perfect timing for the announcement to be made.

He's certainly doing well to get the siege mentality happening for Queensland. Will it backfire?

The Rock said:
lolz. Whatever Stuart is trying to do, it's working. icon_thumbs_u

Create confusion? Make himself look like a bigger tool than he already is? Be a whiney little bitch?

...or all of the above?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6083056123

But Lewis said yesterday not even his wife knew of his intention to retire after the final game in 1991 and the Maroons were only told a few minutes before the game.

"It wasn't announced to the crowd until 10 minutes before kick-off. Ricky was probably on the bus still when it happened. The only person that knew that I'd retired was (then Queensland manager) Dick Turner.

Lewis said he not spoken about it with any of the players and the first time they heard about his decision to retire was in the Maroons dressing-room.

"The first time they were told about it was around the same time _ just before kick-off and just before the crowd was told," Lewis said. "I left the dressing room, as captain, to go out and toss the coin, and Dick told the players after I'd left the room."

Kaz said:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/wally-lewis-had-not-even-told-his-wife-before-playing-his-last-origin-game/story-e6frg7mf-1226083056123

But Lewis said yesterday not even his wife knew of his intention to retire after the final game in 1991 and the Maroons were only told a few minutes before the game.

"It wasn't announced to the crowd until 10 minutes before kick-off. Ricky was probably on the bus still when it happened. The only person that knew that I'd retired was (then Queensland manager) Dick Turner.

Kaz said:
Stuart fearing Origin III ambush

Wally announced his retirement after the game. [icon_lol1.

Kaz (liar or memory problem)

dukey said:

Neither.

I only heard about after the game, as I wasn't there. So to me he retired after the game.

I think you're clutching at straws there Dukey.

Kaz said:
dukey said:

Neither.

I only heard about after the game, as I wasn't there. So to me he retired after the game.

Your perspective is irrelevant, though. Stuart is talking about the atmosphere at the ground.

If you heard what he said, he mentioned that it was going on for a week leading up to the game.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.