Rookie of the year race

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I just watched a video on NRL.com with Matthew Elliot reviewing potential ROY candidates. I've been of the impression it's essentially a foregone conclusion with Haas the run away winner. However they possibly talked him up the least of all candidates with Nikora talked up the most. Surely though there is no contest, I would rate Fifita equal to or better than Nikora.

What are other's thoughts?

I doubt Fifita qualifies fir ROTY ... he played too many games last year.

my admittedly biased opinion is Haas should be rookie of the year by the length of the straight

Last edited:
I agree the competition should be about who is runner-up behind Haas, although I do think Nikora is ahead of Fifita. He has been really good for Cronulla, as has Xerri, who is definitely also a candidate.
David probably has a higher ceiling than Nikora, but he hasn't performed well enough to beat him imo...

Haas and xerri will battle it out and rightly so.

there is one big thing going against Haas ... he plays for us!

is the NRL going to want to give one of our players ROTY, two years in a row

Haas played origin and has consistently put up great numbers, no contest he's a freak.
I think haas deserves it and I have question marks over xerri long term, but you cant teach pure speed and that's what makes him exciting.

Haas no doubt. For second though, is that canberra fullback a rookie? He apparently goes alright.

Haas no doubt. For second though, is that canberra fullback a rookie? He apparently goes alright.
Been a big part of the raiders being in the top 4. Not sure if he qualifies tho.

Turps had his chances cruelled by being moved from hooker. Or was he ever eligible? Still runs second to Haas.

There was a period where Haas wasn't as effective while the other candidates went up a gear.

I don't see how Haas could be the front runner.

Does off-field shit count? They will use that as an excuse to take it off Haas.

Does off-field shit count? They will use that as an excuse to take it off Haas.

I don't think so ... but I wouldn't put it past the NRL to change the rules "mid-game"

Active Now

• Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.