Rookie of the year race

The media is now starting to care about juniors all of a sudden now that the turbo brothers are at risk of leaving manly.

works both ways...maybe clubs are thinking they WILL get financial assistance if a team unearth 12 absolute gems of players who they'd like to keep as 1-club players...

All you have to do then...is start playing them in order to find who is a 'gem' or not..??

I dunno...probably haven't thought this through well...but yeh...

There was a period where Haas wasn't as effective while the other candidates went up a gear.

I don't see how Haas could be the front runner.

He played Origin, that is a massive point of difference over the other candidates.

He played Origin, that is a massive point of difference over the other candidates.

That's not really going to matter much, considering he did very little in his one game and was dropped after that one game.

I don't see how Haas could possibly be ahead of the rest, especially when you look at someone like Maika Sivo who is the current NRL top try-scorer.

Sivo maybe leading the most tries scored, but he'd also have to be right up there for most tries conceded. He's a dime a dozen NRL winger whose biggest attribute is his size. Haas has size but he also has unbelievable cardio, foot-work, speed and even has an offload in his game.

Normally I'd hate to shut down a discussion and would discuss the other players merits, but it's like comparing Darren Lockyer to Matt Lockyer.

Perhaps but the fact he was selected will hold some water.

In this case, not really. I don't see it making any difference at the end of the regular season.

Maika Sivo would be ahead of him at the moment. Attack is the most important factor when it comes to these things and if Sivo remains the top scorer, he will win it.

I also wouldn't rule out Xerri, the "experts" just keep gushing over him.

That's not really going to matter much, considering he did very little in his one game and was dropped after that one game.

I don't see how Haas could possibly be ahead of the rest, especially when you look at someone like Maika Sivo who is the current NRL top try-scorer.

I dont think Haas was dropped from Origin was he due to poor form? Didnt he get injured?

He has been consistently very good most of the year. If he keeps up his performance levels, he will be a shoe in for the award.

Haas has had a much bigger impact on the Broncos positively than Sivo has. I just can't see a way where they don't give ROY to him, as he has had a historically good rookie season.

In this case, not really. I don't see it making any difference at the end of the regular season.

Maika Sivo would be ahead of him at the moment. Attack is the most important factor when it comes to these things and if Sivo remains the top scorer, he will win it.

I also wouldn't rule out Xerri, the "experts" just keep gushing over him.

Super Freak do you genuinely believe this winger Sivo is having more influence on a Rugby League match that what Payne Haas is?
[automerge]1564040961[/automerge]
Haas has had a much bigger impact on the Broncos positively than Sivo has. I just can't see a way where they don't give ROY to him, as he has had a historically good rookie season.

Beat me to it mate.

Last edited:
I still think Isaako can reverse the curse and become the first player to go back to back.

love to see Haas get it.....though im not to fond of the criteria allowing you to have played "some" games the season prior...

If that's the case...your not a 2019 rookie to me...

In what universe would Sivo win ROTY ahead of Haas???

You mentioned in another post that attack holds more weight in these things... you do realise Haas isn’t a defensive prop? He has been near unstoppable one on one close to the line, has a pretty decent strike rate try wise for a prop forward and makes tons of post contact metres that help get us up the field to attack in the first place.

He is also killing it in a position most NRL first graders don’t master until mid to late 20’s. He made Origin after 10 games as a prop forward which has never happened before and it’s not like he didn’t deserve it either. If he continues his numbers he will win it in a landslide. He pumps out Taumalolo-Esque numbers each week at 20 years of age whilst having a higher defensive workload than JT most weeks.

Sivo is just a finisher and at this stage of his career is hardly Semi Radradra MK 2. If the award went to value player of the year that’s a different argument as he would be probably the favourite there as he is on minimum wage.

The only guy close to Haas this year rookie wise is Nikora and he plays back row and has barely the same influence as Haas does in games. Nikora to his credit did make NZ side but NZ lack depth in the forwards (since most of them have defected to the other pacific islands) and is the reason the opportunity was there to rush him in early in his career. Don’t forget NZ is a national side that picked Krisnan Inu after one first grade game so it doesn’t hold the same weight as breaking into the Origin arena. Especially for NSW who have a plethora of forwards to pick from.

Other guys in contention like Cust, Papynhauzen, Drinkwater, etc haven’t played enough this season to leap frog the favourites. Sivo would probably be third in line for the award alongside Xerri.

Last edited:
Answer me this, if Haas and Sivo were to hypothetically come onto the market in 2020 (forget about the salary cap in this instance) how many of the 16 clubs would sign Sivo over Haas?

Last edited:
Sivo maybe leading the most tries scored, but he'd also have to be right up there for most tries conceded. He's a dime a dozen NRL winger whose biggest attribute is his size. Haas has size but he also has unbelievable cardio, foot-work, speed and even has an offload in his game.

Normally I'd hate to shut down a discussion and would discuss the other players merits, but it's like comparing Darren Lockyer to Matt Lockyer.
Matt was a good 5/8 for souths looked very much like Darren when in open space and taking on the line. Silky smooth skills, just didn't have the turn of speed or the footy brain like the great man.

I would argue Payne Haas is the Prop of the year let alone the rookie of the year.

He is Pulling Jason Taumalolo Numbers when he is at his best, and this is his Rookie year!
That's all that needs to be said.

Last edited:
Nikorima put a huge hit in Matt Scott last night. Beautiful tackle.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.