Rookie of the Year?

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I'm interested to get people's thoughs on who they think it will be?

Reckon Jack Reed is in with a good chance?

Of course he is, I reckon he is going to win it.

It will go down to the wire between Tariq Sims and Daly Cherry-Evans with Jack Reed a respectable 3rd place. It is a very high standard set of guys fighting it out this year.

I think if Reed had a yard of extra pace he would be winning it for sure.. My vote goes to Cherry-Evans..

Jack Reed is a million to one to win it. He's had a great year and will run away with the Broncos rookie award, but there's no way he's getting the nod over Sims and Cherry-Evans - he just hasn't had the highlight reel plays that they have

Jack Reed is a million to one to win it. He's had a great year and will run away with the Broncos rookie award, but there's no way he's getting the nod over Sims and Cherry-Evans - he just hasn't had the highlight reel plays that they have

Totally disagree. He hasn't had the highlight reels the Sydney media has been jizzing over. That's the big difference. The Broncos games primarily being the 9.30 replay afterthought on Friday nights means many in Sydney haven't seen them as often as Cherry Evans at least. Although I'd be surprised if Tariq Sims has that many "highlights".

Reed has at least these highlights that should appear in a season highlights compilation:
1. His solo try vs Melbourne
2. His flick pass for Copley vs Sharks
3. His round the corner pass for Beale last week

But yes, halves are usually more fashionable for these awards, so Cherry Evans will win it.

Totally disagree. He hasn't had the highlight reels the Sydney media has been jizzing over. That's the big difference. The Broncos games primarily being the 9.30 replay afterthought on Friday nights means many in Sydney haven't seen them as often as Cherry Evans at least. Although I'd be surprised if Tariq Sims has that many "highlights".

Reed has at least these highlights that should appear in a season highlights compilation:
1. His solo try vs Melbourne
2. His flick pass for Copley vs Sharks
3. His round the corner pass for Beale last week

But yes, halves are usually more fashionable for these awards, so Cherry Evans will win it.
He has another round the corner pass for Yow Yeh in Parramatta, very similar to Saturday's, but on the right side of the field...

At this point I'd have DCE ahed of him, but Sims is close to both. Definitely a 3 head race...
Shaun Johnson would be my pick, but he will miss out all together because he started too late this year, and will have too many games next season.

Last edited:
In fairness, Reed has had a few shockers too and a few games that he has went MIA. That's only 3-4 games, but Cherry Evens and Sims have been more consistant on that level.

Sims has been suspended hasn't he? surely that is a massive flaw in the year for him.

The thing about Reed is while he isn't the flashiest rookie, you see some of the defensive plays he's come up with or runs out of trouble and you really come to respect his performances this year. If it was any other year, he'd be right up there neck and neck with any of the other winners but when you have Will Hopoate, Gareth Widdop, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tariq and Kalifa Fai Fai Loa to name a few...it's a tough field.

My pick would be Hoppa Jr. It's one thing to step up in NRL, it's another to do it in State of Origin and that's what Will did.

What has Sims done apart from smash Luke Bailey twice in a game? Overrated family the Sims

He's a tad overated young Tariq but he's had some real stand-out games...

Mostly against s**tty teams now that I think about it...but still.

The thing about Reed is while he isn't the flashiest rookie, you see some of the defensive plays he's come up with or runs out of trouble and you really come to respect his performances this year. If it was any other year, he'd be right up there neck and neck with any of the other winners but when you have Will Hopoate, Gareth Widdop, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tariq and Kalifa Fai Fai Loa to name a few...it's a tough field.

My pick would be Hoppa Jr. It's one thing to step up in NRL, it's another to do it in State of Origin and that's what Will did.

His Hopoate eligible? I would have thought he played more than 3 games last season.

What has Sims done apart from smash Luke Bailey twice in a game? Overrated family the Sims

Have you watched many Cowboys games?

He's had several very good games, in attack in defence.

He's still very raw though.

Have you watched many Cowboys games?He's had several very good games, in attack in defence.He's still very raw though.
He has his moments for sure but gee he goes missing alot

Yeah Hoppa only played three games last year.

Widdop is one I'm a little contentious about but Big League included him and they're generally on the money with the rookies.

Coxy - Welcome to the centres.

Widdop only played 3 games last season.

It was the Internationals that people seem to be concerned about.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  • johnny plath
  • BooKhaki
  • Manlyman
  • Culhwch
  • Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Morkel
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  • azza.79
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.