Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Post Game Thread

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
Ok, easy to talk about the negatives because, well after tonight there are just too many. Anyone got any positives out of the match?

I think hoffman looked strong, hodges looked good but he reflected the teams performance throughout the match and Macca looked good along with glenn

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Disappointing after a promising first half.

Manly are probably the best team that can score multiple try's in a short amount of time. Not trying to say that was the reason we lost, as many have pointed out, that second half was piss poor. Disappointed that the 2 Manly try's came from Hodges side of the field.

And the ball that stayed in the in-goal, which resulted in Tafua running half way across the field pretty much summed it up.

Disappointing to lose but I'm not too effected by it.

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It pains me to say this but for too long now I have been guilty of blindly defending the club, the coaching staff and its players, I now realise I have been seeing what I have been wanting to see, this goes longer then just Lockyer's departure but even since then what exactly has the club done to counter that? we have lost all direction in our recruitment, retainment, our coaching techniques that are too focused on strength and not on getting the balance of the side right in attack and defence, I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers because I don't, all I do know is something seriously needs to happen and happen now, I could stand a serious shakeup like what happened in 1999 when we were forced to make some serious calls on the makeup of our side if your prepared to take short term hits for longterm benefits. Show us your prepared to make those tough calls or get a new job Griffin.

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ok, easy to talk about the negatives because, well after tonight there are just too many. Anyone got any positives out of the match?

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
I hope after tonight's performance we didn't scare Hopoate away

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We looked physically weaker than manly, again, struggling to wrap the ball up, maybe instead of spending all their time wrestling they should concentrate on getting the man down first. We would easily be the worst side in the comp for ineffective tackles.

Penalties early kept us in the game in the first half before throwing in the towel early in the second.

Still too flat in attack, Prince can't defend to save himself, Hannant is unfit and showed why he belongs on the bench, and norman needs to get it through his head that if he wants to be in the side he is not just temporarily filling in at fb.

If Hoffman's defense can hold up he should play centre, in the few touches he got he showed some real spark.

Williams should have been penalised for holding reed back in his no try, if he wasn't impeded he would have had a cleaner shot at grounding the ball. Don't understand why it was completely ignored.

Should also have been awarded two line drop outs in the second half, the first by williams leaving the field of play and the second tafua picking the ball up with his heal on the dead ball line.

Last edited:
B

bigjaymz

BRL Player
Jul 14, 2010
Last year Gus and others couldn't stop saying how fit and strong we looked early in the season.

Could it be a strategy to not be so fit going into game 1 and build on it week to week so that there is not the burn out suffered last year after origin ?

B

Bronco bob

NYC Player
Aug 9, 2012
Hoffman was pretty impressive running the ball in the first half.

I think tonight showed that Hoffman should be at centre. He is such a good runner and that break he set up he was playing centre.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
We seriously need a coach that has the balls to stand up to the players & drop them when they play like shit.

Not rewarding them with 1st grade jerseys week in & week out.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
It pains me to say this but for too long now I have been guilty of blindly defending the club, the coaching staff and its players, I now realise I have been seeing what I have been wanting to see, this goes longer then just Lockyer's departure but even since then what exactly has the club done to counter that? we have lost all direction in our recruitment, retainment, our coaching techniques that are too focused on strength and not on getting the balance of the side right in attack and defence, I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers because I don't, all I do know is something seriously needs to happen and happen now, I could stand a serious shakeup like what happened in 1999 when we were forced to make some serious calls on the makeup of our side if your prepared to take short term hits for longterm benefits. Show us your prepared to make those tough calls or get a new job Griffin.

About time you came around mate.
Credit to you bro

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
First half was pretty good although our tries were scored off individual brilliance more so than set plays. Second half was terrible. Defence was non existent. We didn't fire a shot. Our forwards weren't great. They didn't make big metres like we needed them to. We need some speed. We must be the slowest team in the comp. Dare I say it but Jack Reed might need to bulk up and move into the pack because he is too slow now (big pete) on the money.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
That second half was really deflating.

There were signs it was coming in the first half, but it seemed like in true Broncos fashion we'd guts it out but they just annihilated us in about ten minutes. Was just a real slap in the face. Still think everybody is overreacting with their whole-sale changes approach. Some alterations should be made sure, but right now, this team needs to breathe and prove themselves again next week.

Just think the side played too side to side and needed to focus more on playing direct and trying to beat Manly through the ruck. I reckon we had them beat there but ultimately got too caught up in the razzle dazzle and the professionalism from the Sea Eagles completely knocked us for six.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
We looked physically weaker than manly, again, struggling to wrap the ball up, maybe instead of spending all their time wrestling they should concentrate on getting the man down first. We would easily be the worst side in the comp for ineffective tackles.
The thing with that is we don't even look like we're trying to get them down, all there doing is standing in the tackle and waiting for a third man to come in. No one is working the upper body to get the attacker on their back and that is really killing us.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Manly forwards just smashed us. We shouldn't lose that battle against them IMO. McCullough needs to get us on a roll more. He needs to watch more tapes of C. smith

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
Manly forwards just smashed us. We shouldn't lose that battle against them IMO. McCullough needs to get us on a roll more. He needs to watch more tapes of C. smith

Cameron Smith's forwards aren't getting dominated like ours are though, once we get to the line we are normally stopped or forced back and the put on our back.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I was happy with it. We put in. Was pissed off with Wallace' lazy attempt at a tackle for Cherry Evans try.

We were fucking terrible at marking down our left hand side. there were 5 times where they outnumbered us out wide (2 lead to tries) and that was due to poor marking.

Unfortunately we played to our abilities and thats not much at the moment I'm afraid. Wallace, Norman, Reed, Hoffman & Stagg just aren't very good at rugby league. Thaiday is out of position and Gillett needs to learn fundamentals.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Cameron Smith's forwards aren't getting dominated like ours are though, once we get to the line we are normally stopped or forced back and the put on our back.

because his forwards get good service and are getting the ball at speed rather than being flat footed all the time.

Active Now

• The Don
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncs1459
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Tim K
  • sooticus
  • Lostboy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.