Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Ok lets forget about our trial form and look ahead to round 1 of the premiership. I think we could go with a lineup of:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Reed
5. Vidot/Mills
6. Who the hell knows
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Gillett/Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (c)

14. Kennedy
15. Glenn/Gillett
16. Lowrie
17. Wallace/Granville/?

Since no one really put their hand up for 6 since Kahu went down, we may see Barba at 6. i'm not totally against this but i would prefer he stay at 1.

enough of the negative vibe on the forum. lets try to think positive :beer:

No way does Mills get a spot, he was awful in defence. I'd put Vidot ahead of him for sure.

Shame both Hodges and Kahu are unavailable, we'd have a much stronger team if they were in the backline.

I'd go with

1. Hoffman
2. Drew
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hannant
15. Gillett
16. Molo
17. Lowrie

What I expect...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Dale Copley
4. Jack Reed
5. Stewart Mills
6. Ben Barba
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Ben Hannant
16. Alex Glenn
17. Todd Lowrie

What I want...

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Zach Strasser
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Ben Hannant
16. Alex Glenn
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Barba is a fullback, great support runner, good kick returner and can get involved on second man plays if need be. Keep him there and allow Hoffman to play on the wing here he belongs. Vidot on the other wing to help get us out of our own territory and kick to out-wide if we're desperate.

Strasser at five eigth because he seems like the better all-round option.

McGuire won the starting halves spot, Kennedy can partner up with him but he better deliver. Thaiday was the best fringe runner we had and looks determined to remind people about how good he was, Parker back at lock because the front row experiment flopped. Gillett over Glenn at this stage.

Granville over Nikorima because I like the fresh legs he provides at dummy half and could be a weapon at a crucial period of the game.

I doubt it will happen, but I want to give these young guys an opportunity and reward good form. Ofahengaue has been a stand out in the pre-season and deserves to debut. Lowrie will basically be 18th man for the season, always slotting in when there's an injury to the forwards.

Last edited:
I'm predicting calls for Parker to be sacked as captain if Broncos lose.

However, they won't lose. Mark my words, Broncos WILL win. The Bulldogs aren't exactly crash hot themselves...

I've always felt Strasser would be the better option than Kodi. Sure, the Broncos need an improvement in their attack, but that's why they signed Barba. The team I would go with is pretty much the exact same as Big Pete's team.

vidot must have done something (or not done something) to have not played either trial on the weekend. may be another denan kemp situation?

anyway, this is what i'd go with

1 barba
2 hoffman
3 reed
4 copley
5 anyone thats not maranta or mills
6 nikorima
7 hunt
8 hannant
9 macca
10 kennedy
11 gillet
12 thaiday
13 parker

14 mcguire
15 glenn
16 ofahengaue
17 any prop.. jwallace i guess.

Last edited:
If we start using Glenn as a hole runner again, I'd easily have him ahead of Dancin' Gillett.

SOS Corey Norman?

first miss tackle today -- Gillett (no prize for guessing)
first drop ball in attack zone -- Glenn
McCullough's service was woeful
someone needs to get Hoffman off my tv screen...

1. Drew
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Oates
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. Lowrie
10. Hannant
11. McGuire
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

first miss tackle today -- Gillett (no prize for guessing)
first drop ball in attack zone -- Glenn
McCullough's service was woeful
someone needs to get Hoffman off my tv screen...

1. Drew
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Oates
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. Lowrie
10. Hannant
11. McGuire
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

So you wouldn't have Hoffman, who scored 15 tries on the wing last season on the wing .... riiiiight.

Lets use the Dogs as an example

You want Frank Pritchard, Tony Williams, Josh Jackson and Greg Eastwood running at Ben Barba ? Let alone their big props. That is pure insanity.

Barba is fullback or not playing at all.

I think the Dogs will miss the 8 this year unless Des can perfect some crazy forward oriented gameplan. Which Des possibly could, and Hook couldn't.

I'd be surprised if Barba could be any worse in defence than Strasser or Nikorima

Dogs are definitely a team we could beat, similar to us they don't have a lot of flair and will rely on getting inside 20 and playing the percentages. If we keep possession we are a good chance of being 1 for 1.

Watching the dogs play today, they look a lot more ready for the regular season than we are.

I'm not going to write the Broncos off though, at full strength we will be a lot more potent.

What I expect:

1. Hoffman
2. Mills
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Gillett
12. Lowrie
13. Thaiday

14. Nikorima
15. Kennedy
16. McGuire
17. Glenn

what I want:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. Granville
10. Kennedy
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. McCullough
15. Hannant
16. Gillett
17. Molo/Ofahenguai/Oates if fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Evander
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.