Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Didn't get to see the game but am happy with the win obviously.

From what i've read Hoffman did as expected, Maranta did well (unexpected), Barba did what he does, and the rest of the side was solid? Anyone want to expand on that.

I'll miss this weeks match too as I'll be working. :@

Best you have a good read through the live chat and post game threads. My fellow posters gave a thorough run down on the game with some good observations generally. I'll just add Copley was excellent, Vidot and Hannant too. The much maligned Maranta Drew praise from this forum and good on air comments. We had a lot of guys contributing. We were let down by an average kicking game with Hoffman simply hitting the ball up like a second rower every now and then. Ash Harrison or similar style. Barba was outstanding in attack and played a big hand in both the opening tries as did Hunt. The Broncos did enough to renew some belief but really, were not playing against a top side so the jury has just started deliberations.

Fair enough but he isn't being asked to do heavier defence as my post pointed out. My first line made that clear I thought.When in possession he comes up and takes on the play making role and it's impossible to deny his involvement in the tries we scored on Friday night. He was the person kicking beautifully for our first, a true playmaker and he had ample time to sum up situations. Let the heavier less talented Hoffman defend .

Oh look I totally agree - swapping them in defence/attack clearly makes sense, but IMO the modern day fullback is basically a 5/8 in attack anyway. And there are a lot of people around (not on HQ) calling for Barba to be shifted to 5/8 with Hoffman back to FB - no thanks!! Why take away Barba's time to inject himself when he sees the opportunities, wherever on the field they may be? Our sweep plays were so much more efficient already because we had Barba sniffing around the back - instead of a Hoffy who everyone knows won't pass!

Barba is exactly what we needed to get some spark. Now we just need DCE and we'll challenge for the premiership lol :takdir:

Well apparently Ben Hunt had a better game than we all thought.............NRL Fantasy have awarded him 82 points for the round!:hmmmm:

Well apparently Ben Hunt had a better game than we all thought.............NRL Fantasy have awarded him 82 points for the round!:hmmmm:

NRL Fantasy gives ridiculous points to halves

DCE got 33pts and Luke Brooks only 8...And yet I had Ben Hunt and Ben Hampton outside of my top 17 for 82 and 56 respectively.

You get points for kick metres and they must count the metres you kick it backwards as well

I see Dale Copely and Alex Glenn made the foxsports team of the week. Copely in the centres and Glenn as a reserve

I see Dale Copely and Alex Glenn made the foxsports team of the week. Copely in the centres and Glenn as a reserve

Watching the highlights, the best pressure leading up to the tries were all from Glenn running straight & hard at the line and compressing the focus of the defence.

Glenn was pretty damn good, even if he did drop off tackles a bit in the first half. That hole run off Barba was like the 2011/12 version of him, except that he forgot how to do it, since we don't even use him like that anymore. You'd think Hunt would benefit like crazy having him run into holes (and not just as a decoy), followed by a raid down the blind side, which is what Hunt seems to do best.

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Painin the Haas
  • Ejbroncos
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • barker
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • broncotville
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.