Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

There's no universe where Hoffman is the best option in the halves.

If you don't want to put one of the rookies there (which I don't agree with at all, but fair enough), there are still better options than Hoffman. Even Gillett has better awareness and willingness to pass (and it would fix up our back row too).
I wouldn't have a huge problem with Gillett, but it's not an obviously better choice. Hopefully this us temporary situation, and one of the young guys stands up and dominates at Qcup level. I also wouldn't mind seeing ZS or KN having the 4 th bench spot, as others have said, seeing as we only need 3 spots. Give them some game time ,but then we fall into the Ben hunt trap again.

Hoffman bends the line in both videos . What he needs is an inside runner in support. Think of him like a smaller but quicker Parker.

Parker looks to pass/offload most of the time. Hoffman doesn't.

As for Gillett at 5/8, I think he would be excellent. He even put in a decent grubber behind the line on Friday night. His long kicking game is the big unknown, although Hunt and Macca can do that.

I also reckon he would have stood a better chance of stopping Pritchard's try than Hoffman.

Aside from Barba at 5/8, for mine Gillett is the next best option and I think he would do well. Also, as Alec said, but maybe for different reasons, it would allow Parker to return to his best position at lock (yes I now agree with this), give Glenn and Thaiday the back row.

Seeing Taumalolo, Sims and Tamou running at Hoffman will be interesting next week, but to be fair to Hoffman, that prospect will be daunting for anyone

Last edited:
I actually believe this was another bombed scoring opportunity for the Broncos by Reed.

In the end, I'm not unhappy about it as we did get the 2 points which ended up being crucial late in the game.

You'll notice Reed had Glenn there and Barba started running around to the left, I think if defenders are drawn in and a couple of quick passes are made, Vidot could have scored.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a potential chance but no more than the second vid you posted last night. In the end, Reed's play was smart and has been swept up in the Copley hype.

Not sure if it has been mentioned as I haven't had a chance to read the forums this weekend......but did anyone see cherry-evans at the game? I'm sure he was only there to cheer his buddy on but we can only hope :takdir:

Not sure if it has been mentioned as I haven't had a chance to read the forums this weekend......but did anyone see cherry-evans at the game? I'm sure he was only there to cheer his buddy on but we can only hope :takdir:

I'm going to go out on the limb and say he was checking out the Broncos to see if he would sign with them or not and only used the excuse that he was there to support his mate.

We can dream.

Just there to offer support to a friend, he isnt leaving Manly.

Yeah, ningers pointed it out. Apparently he tweeted that he was there to support Benny. But in my fantasy land he was there to support Benny and was inspired by the chance to play with him again and just as the team is getting on the bus DCE runs over to griffin and says "lets make this happen"

Gus Gould is sooo biased. Anyone watching Dragons v Tigers game? Relating to the video ref decision of Widdop to Witt.

Yeah, ningers pointed it out. Apparently he tweeted that he was there to support Benny. But in my fantasy land he was there to support Benny and was inspired by the chance to play with him again and just as the team is getting on the bus DCE runs over to griffin and says "lets make this happen"

And then Hook would say to him "We don't need you, we already have Ben Hunt!!!!" Sorry to **** up your fantasy.:takdir:

Hopefully DCE sees more opportunity at the Broncos than the Eagles, I think he's far more likely to become the captain of the Broncos than the captain of the Eagles at this stage, I think we also have more young talent in our squad than the Eagles at this stage as well.

From what I hear, DCE wants to captain a club, really badly, Lyon will have the captaincy as long as he's at the club (3 more years?), and after that it's a fight between Foran and Cherry-Evans, I've also heard that Manly prefer Foran as a future captain.

Whereas DCE will have no competition in Brisbane, maybe co-captain with Parker.

I wouldn't rule out the Broncos landing DCE for 2016 onwards just yet.

Oh bugger, I must have accidentally clicked into the 'sack griffin/new coach' thread again. Stupid fat fingers

I'd like
1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Mills
4. Copley
5. Maranta ( maintaining the rage )
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. McCullough
10.Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13 Parker

14. Mcguire
15. Gillette
16. Granville
17. Any one of four candidates....Hala,Oates,Reed etc

Hoffman up in the middle when we are defending ,Barba at the back. Mills and Copley in the centres, pace,size and mobility. Reason I want McGuire on the bench is he is fast on his feet and would benefit from slightly less fresh opposition. Plenty of candidates for a final spot on the bench and I would USE ALL FUCKING 17 ! *_*

I can't agree with anyone wanting Barba at 5/8 (not directed solely at you CF!), at least not this year. I think part of the reason he was/is/will be so dangerous is the time he gets at FB to sum up situations. Put him in the middle and all of a sudden he's asked to do heavier defence and his time is much diminished. Leave our most potent player in the position that gives him the most control with the least defensive workload, IMO.

I LOVED seeing him push the team around a bit too lastnight. I think he'll grow a lot this year, and if he can help push the team around (a-la Slater, Locky, KHunt, etc) it will go a long way towards taking pressure off our halves, hopefully helping them along the way.

Good things on Friday, but definitely room for improvement - it is the start of the season, after all. Cowgirls next week will be a massive test...

both sides always get up for hte derby, regardless of the halves situation i think it will be a cracking game and likely decided by a try or less.

cant wait to walk into suncorp for the first home game of the season

I can't agree with anyone wanting Barba at 5/8 (not directed solely at you CF!), at least not this year. I think part of the reason he was/is/will be so dangerous is the time he gets at FB to sum up situations. Put him in the middle and all of a sudden he's asked to do heavier defence and his time is much diminished. Leave our most potent player in the position that gives him the most control with the least defensive workload, IMO.

I LOVED seeing him push the team around a bit too lastnight. I think he'll grow a lot this year, and if he can help push the team around (a-la Slater, Locky, KHunt, etc) it will go a long way towards taking pressure off our halves, hopefully helping them along the way.

Good things on Friday, but definitely room for improvement - it is the start of the season, after all. Cowgirls next week will be a massive test...

Fair enough but he isn't being asked to do heavier defence as my post pointed out. My first line made that clear I thought.When in possession he comes up and takes on the play making role and it's impossible to deny his involvement in the tries we scored on Friday night. He was the person kicking beautifully for our first, a true playmaker and he had ample time to sum up situations. Let the heavier less talented Hoffman defend .

Didn't get to see the game but am happy with the win obviously.

From what i've read Hoffman did as expected, Maranta did well (unexpected), Barba did what he does, and the rest of the side was solid? Anyone want to expand on that.

I'll miss this weeks match too as I'll be working. :@

Active Now

• Jazza
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bongo
  • Financeguy
  • Midean
  • Rambstien
  • Big Del
  • BroncosMan
  • Gaz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • johnny plath
  • Mick_Hancock
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wild Horse
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.