PRE-GAME Round 10 - Broncos vs Roosters

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

How would Shibasaki go against Latrell and the Roosters left edge attack? Especially with Isaako, who loves to come in off his wing.

How would Shibasaki go against Latrell and the Roosters left edge attack? Especially with Isaako, who loves to come in off his wing.

It's going to be a long night if Shibasaki is marking up against Latrell.

Lets be honest here - we aren't good enough to beat the best team in the NRL. We simply aren't. In order to beat the Roosters at the moment, they have to have a really off day and we have to play out of our skin and I doubt this will happen.

All I want to see is enthusiasm and energy and intensity for 80 minutes. Focus on defence defence defence. Hit hard and hurt them. Play as one. Play as a team and just DON'T EVER GIVE UP.

Personally I would go with this side.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Darius Boyd
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. David Fifita

14. James Segeyaro
15. Patrick Carrigan
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Boyd and Roberts to switch around in attack with Roberts switching back to the wing in defence.

Fifita to start because he needs more minutes out there. I don't think he is getting enough time off the bench and I feel he is better off as a starter.

TPJ, Ofahengaue and Segeyaro are the impact players. I would give TPJ the task of running at the halves and looking to throw some offloads. I would tell Segeyaro and Isaako to stay on him sniffing for those offloads. I would also give Segeyaro the task of running from dummy half whenever he sees an opportunity. I want him to sniff around for tiring forwards and use his speed to hopefully take advantage.

Carrigan's job is simple. I would bring him in on in the final 20 of each half and tell him to tackle his heart out. He is there to give us a fresh defender in the middle when the others are tiring.

It's tough for Flegler but I think we should give him a couple of weeks break to keep him fresh for the Origin period.
That backline goes against everything we are trying to achieve with the changes we made last week. The good thing we had with bird and Staggs, and to a lesser amount and of lesser quality with shibasaki, was work ethic. You can tell seibold is trying to build a backline that helps the pack and is solid defensively.

I'd go with Glenn or fifita to centre to start the game with Roberts on the bench, give isaako a few weeks at fullback in QLD cup to give us a viable option to replace boyd if his form doesn't continue like the manly game. It gives us some tough defence for Latrell to start the game and it would be in the back of his mind that Roberts will be coming on when he's tired after getting tackled by a bigger body all game then at the end of the game he's got the speed of Roberts.

It'd also give fifita alot more minutes, send Roberts the message that he still needs to earn his spot (with defensive effort in particular), and still gives us a big bodied rotation. I'd also swap flegler with carrigan to start, carrigan defensive efforts are great, he really controls the ruck a fair bit actually and flegler looks a little tired when he starts.

As tempting as it is to throw segeyaro straight in, I think we need to make Roberts earn his spot from the bench, otherwise it won't send a message at all to him and the team and we will be in the same situation with his poor attitude after a few weeks at most. We could possibly put segeyaro on the bench with Glenn or fifita to play 80 mins at centre but that is a risk with Latrell possibly figuring them out and exposing them in defence after half a game

I seriously don't know what to make of Milford.
He can look like an absolute gun, pretty much having the ball on a string while putting players into holes with what looks like relative ease.
Or he can play like an absolute dud, looking like he has no idea, shuffling the ball without much reason, putting up bomb after bomb that all have no height at all..
And he can easily be both in the exact same game too.
Some people were saying that Turpin has only played against shitty sides. At the same time, Milford's best two performances this year were against the Sharks (1st half) and Manly (2nd half). Two sides who pretty much had nothing to give.

I hope it wasn't just the case of running down a side that couldn't fight back. I hope he can show this against the good sides too, and do it consistently. Please, PLEASE replicate the 2nd half performance against the Roosters too, Milf!

I'm still of the opinion that the team is not unlike a v8 performance vehicle with a tuning issue. It isn't far off peak performance. Anyone who's had a car (or any performance vehicle really) like that will relate, it can be as simple as a timing issue, not enough spark or too little or too much fuel. When tinkering you might say "it wants to go" and when test running it you can feel it's close and the powers there but not quite running right. Well that's the Broncos for me. I have no doubt at all that we can beat the Roosters, even on their best fucking day ever but we will need our 'race tune sorted'.

re: milf its crazy how much the team feeds off him, when he plays well we win.. when he is on song he is the best player in our team and i reckon one of the best in the league. that twenty minute period yesterday was wild. but when he is off he is a total passenger and the entire team looks rudderless and stupid. if he gets some consistency he would be the Aus 6 i have no doubt about it.

Wholesale changes after a win, especially with the prospect of facing arguably the best team in the NRL at the moment, is insane. We need to cover for Bird and not much more. Whilst I would personally promote Carrigan over Flegler, I think you need to limit the disruption to the team as much as possible. I would push Shibasaki to centre, then play Isaako on the wing, assuming no other wingers we have on contract have shown any form (doesn't sound like it). Flegler and Carrigan swap but that would be it.
I would not be rushing Segiaro, who hasn't played in a year in to face the Roosters. We need to build on this success and enforce the effort and determination we showed against manly. Encourage Turpin and Dearden to show more responsibility in driving the attack but not much more. Push Lodge and Haas to drive the attack early with good metres and encourage Glen and Gillet likewise. With Dearden's defence being solid, I would be encouraging Gillet to show more flair in attack, but limit his minutes to allow Fifita greater time. I think both players would benefit (Gillet is struggling to play long minutes).

I want to see more minutes from Carrigan and Fifita too but our teams NEEDS Glenn and Gillett, they are two of our very best week in week out. They know exactly what to do and when to do it. If we hold the ball we give ourselves a real chance. One thing I do feel disappointed in is when players lose the ball through an unnoticed or unpenalised strip or rake. It goes down as a handling error, a loss of possession or a failure to complete a set and most of the time a players blameless. It can happen a couple of times a game an make a team look worse than it is. I know over seasons it averages out but it still infuriates me.

I just hope its a close contest. Even if we lose, hopefully it’s only by a small margin because we need to keep that for and against at a decent number

Last edited:
The team looked so much better being lead from the front by Boyd, for that reason I wouldn’t bring Jimmy back in as I think he needs to earn his recall as if he is lethargic and phoning it in, it will undo a lot of the good work from this week.

I would play Shibasaki at centre. It isn’t because I rate him, I absolutely do not and have made no secret of that but I want him to get a shot at his preferred position to see if he has anything at all to offer. If he does, excellent. If not as expected, we move on from him for good.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Fifita
15. Ofahenguiae
16. Flegler
17. Fifita

Just on Roberts I rewatched some of his efforts and I couldn't accuse him of a lack ofeffort or commitment. Yes, with that try just before halftime his defence was terrible but he finished the game battered and bruised and made some gutsy runs in to the defence. I admit to being confused by him. I'd like to see him come back but I'd love to know exactly what he is dealing with from an injury perspective. I can't help but think if any one of us were dealing with the Achilles problem and associated pain we'd be on smashed up pain meds and struggling with the psychological distress(the injury) it causes.

The team looked so much better being lead from the front by Boyd, for that reason I wouldn’t bring Jimmy back in as I think he needs to earn his recall as if he is lethargic and phoning it in, it will undo a lot of the good work from this week.

I would play Shibasaki at centre. It isn’t because I rate him, I absolutely do not and have made no secret of that but I want him to get a shot at his preferred position to see if he has anything at all to offer. If he does, excellent. If not as expected, we move on from him for good.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Fifita
15. Ofahenguiae
16. Flegler
17. Fifita

Hey Sproj you mean Segy in 14 instead of Fifita twice yeah?

I think we will win this off the back of Turps and Segs service and speed out of dummy half. Seg will have a field day in behind Lodge, Haas, Joffa and Fafita

Who sits out though for Segs as we could see Shibs go to centre and Isaako back on the wing. Or even Isaako at centre.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Fifita
15. Ofahenguiae
16. Flegler
17. Fifita

I agree with Shibasaki, put him in the centres for this game. There will be no greater test but against (under normal circumstances) is a natural championship rival its a great chance to really see if this kid has a future. If he doesn't disgrace himself then he can have a future here, if not then..

All I ask is a 80 minute game, from 1st minute to last nothing but 100% from everyone, we dont need to win as long as we show we can now play for 80 minutes, then this could be a season defining effort, not necessarily a season defining win...

2006; Brisbane lose against the Storm in a close semi final game at Suncorp, Bennett didn't even stay in the coaches box for the final minute, instead he raced down to the change room to make sure heads didn't drop as the players entered. Bennett knew , regardless of the loss, he'd seen a championship winning effort for 80 minutes. We then went on and won the whole comp.

This could be a similar situation if we put in a 80 minute shift...(no, im NOT saying we win the comp....just the scenario)

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. Carrigan
14. Segeyaro
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Fifita / Fleggler

Boyd has earned another week at fullback. I just hope he doesn’t think that he is safe again and he doesn’t put in this week. Roberts has to be in the side. A week off hopefully has to have jolted him into gear. He is a match winner! Isaako needs to come back into the side. His goal kicking is too good and he doesn’t look any worse then Sheba did on the wing.

If Segeyaro is on the bench means one of Carrigan / Fifita / Fleggler is going to miss out.

Staggs should be against Latrell again, he completely nullified him last game.
Think it's a certainty. No one's silly enough to **** with that, are they ?
[automerge]1557622820[/automerge]
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Gillett
12. Glenn
13. Carrigan
14. Segeyaro
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Fifita / Fleggler

Boyd has earned another week at fullback. I just hope he doesn’t think that he is safe again and he doesn’t put in this week. Roberts has to be in the side. A week off hopefully has to have jolted him into gear. He is a match winner! Isaako needs to come back into the side. His goal kicking is too good and he doesn’t look any worse then Sheba did on the wing.

If Segeyaro is on the bench means one of Carrigan / Fifita / Fleggler is going to miss out.
Flegs for a rest. I hope. Need more Carrigan time.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • mitch222
  • Bish
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Manofoneway
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • porouian
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.