PRE-GAME Round 10 - Broncos vs Roosters

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Seibold can go two ways here, and it all pivots on Segeyaro and Haas. Does he want steady improvement, or does he want to win?

If he wants the Broncos to improve, he goes with a 4-forward bench. Against the Roosters we're going to need it, and as good as Haas is going, if he plays 80 he's going to get found out. If we complete below 80%, the whole pack will be found out. 4 forwards means we can rotate the pack better, and minimise fatigue. We'll also need a forward (likely Glenn) to relieve Turpin for a spell, because they'll come for him too. We likely won't win, but we'll hopefully stay within 12 points of the benchmark team, which is an improvement.

If he wants to go balls out, he plays Segeyaro on the bench, but because that wastes 2 interchanges for maybe 15 - 25 minutes for Segs (as opposed to Glenn doing it as he's already on the field and will likely rotate with Fifita), it means Haas will likely have to play the 80 so the others can rotate better. Instead, we'll be relying on speed to get around the Roosters pack. And this will only happen if we get at least an even share of possession and field position. If we get the dropsies, we're absolutely fucked. We'll win by 6 or lose by 40.

Everything coming out of Red Hill suggests he'll be interchanging Segeyaro as a utility. But he's been on record before saying a hooker should play 80 minutes and he tends to cover the backs with a centre. We know he must've changed his mind on that because he offered Kodi that position. But Kodi is more of a back than Segeyaro, I think. What happens if we lose an outside back like last week?
[automerge]1557660630[/automerge]
Isaako has been terrible
And got dropped. But he's also been excellent in the past.

Last edited:
Too much Haas is blunting his effectiveness in defence. Fine for metreage but he's tiring in defence. 60- 65 minutes seems right to me. Carrigan and Fifita need more minutes in my opinion. If I was going to use Segs it would be one of three changes around the same time, I'd want fresh forwards for Segs to take of the faster ptb's they tend to have. I thought Turps was good and I won't be surprised if Segs doesn't play and we do go with 4 forwards. I think this is extremely winnable and will be tipping us.

Everything coming out of Red Hill suggests he'll be interchanging Segeyaro as a utility. But he's been on record before saying a hooker should play 80 minutes and he tends to cover the backs with a centre. We know he must've changed his mind on that because he offered Kodi that position. But Kodi is more of a back than Segeyaro, I think. What happens if we lose an outside back like last week?
[automerge]1557660630[/automerge]

And got dropped. But he's also been excellent in the past.

Alex Glenn moves out one position. Or Fifita goes there.

He was terrible in the position our coach played him.

That's irrelevant. You said you needed to see proof about him at center. If you don't go and watch him, how can you have a valid opinion about him as a center. You are basing your opinion of him at right center based on an appearance out of position as a winger and and as a bench player in a game we got flogged in. The only other game he played he was ok in, nothing more.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/05/13/segeyaro-ready-to-work-for-an-opportunity/

JAMES Segeyaro will train for the first time with the Broncos this morning and says he is ready to work hard for an opportunity.
The former Sharks, Panthers and Cowboys' player signed his contract at the Clive Berghofer Centre this morning.
The Broncos have picked up Segeyaro mid-season as a back up to first-choice hooker Andrew McCullough and last week's rake Jake Turpin.
McCullough has a medial ligament injury and is not expected back for at least another month.

Turpin did a fine job in the win over the Sea Eagles on Friday, but Segeyaro's experience gives the Broncos another option.
"I am really looking forward to being part of the Broncos' club," he said.
"The Broncos are a proud club and I am focussed on working hard now to gain an opportunity.
"I can't wait to get out there on the training field with my new teammates."
The 28-year-old has played 141 NRL matches since 2011, and also had a stint with the Leeds Rhinos in the English Super League.
He has represented Papua New Guinea in five Tests.

I'm fascinated to see how Siebs goes about harnessing this wild child's enthusiasm.

brave call imo.

He shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. Any infraction they want to make a big deal will see him marched right back out the door and doubtless there was some thought put into the contract wording. I'm guessing we'll persist with Turps for the next game and Segs might just sit around waiting.

You would think that would be it for Jimmy now if he can't get a call up after Jacks injury.

Today’s training:
Milford’s not on the field, Sean O’Sullivan in the halves with Tom Dearden at today’s session. Segs alternating with Turpin in dummy half.
TPJ doing sideline sprints (no contact) isaako looks to be in, Roberts still out.

Send heaps of traffic at latrell. Tire him out to stifle his attack. I think he’ll be pretty fatigued anyway going into this game.

Obviously Shibasaki was shocking on the wing, but this isn’t his position. Has anyone seen him play at centre ? And what do you rate him?

You would think that would be it for Jimmy now if he can't get a call up after Jacks injury.

Very surprising I must say. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes and whether that is injury related or mental I'm not sure. Irrespective of how talented and flashy jimmy can be; what we need is commitment, focus and attitude above anything else this Friday night.
Obviously the coaching staff see Shibasaki as more able to fill that role.
#InSeiboldWeTrust

Anyone else think that if Staggs plays well this weekend and perhaps next he is a shot at playing origin? NSW are running out of centre options

Dont believe he'd be ready for that right now...NSWs problems are their own, as a QLD supporter im not too bothered...

I dont know why but I keep seeing the name Brad Meyers in my head every time Flegler steps onto the field...???

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • jtupu17
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.