Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Team Update: Origin Forces More Changes For Broncos

broncos.com.au
Sat 8 Jun 2019, 08:51 AM

THE Broncos will have another club debutant tomorrow against the Gold Coast Titans after three State-of-Origin enforced withdrawals.

Both Matt Gillett and Corey Oates are out of the 2pm match at Suncorp Stadium.

Oates has a minor hip injury he could not recover from in the four days between Wednesday’s Origin victory for Queensland.

Gillett, who missed most of last year with a neck injury and then had an off-season shoulder reconstruction, has had a tough opening 12 weeks to the season and will not back up against the Titans.

Joe Ofahengaue had already been ruled out with a lacerated knee.

Former Storm and Rabbitohs’ winger Richie Kennar will make his debut for the Broncos on the wing in Oates’ place.

And the absence of Gillett will give Jaydn Su’A a chance to get back into the NRL.

He will come off the bench, while another Origin player, David Fifita, will start in the second row.

Pat Carrigan will come into the 17 as a middle forward.

Broncos’ coach Anthony Seibold said the pair would be missed but he was confident the team had the players to fill the gaps.

"We have a couple more of those Origin blokes not playing tomorrow," said Seibold.

"Corey Oates pulled up with a bit of a hip pointer injury and Matt Gillett played 80 minutes, so we don' think it is right to make him back up.

"Richie Kennar hasn't played first grade here but has played at Melbourne and the Rabbitohs, so he will replace Oates.

"David Fifita will start and Jaydn Su'A will come off the bench.

"It is a good opportunity for Jaydn, who has been in the Queensland Cup for a few weeks."

1. Boyd (c)
20. Kennar
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
15. Fifita
13. Pangai Jr

14. McCullough
16. Flegler
18. Carrigan
19. Su'A

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...-xEzXDyf0NIYcoK6kSwgZi43-aJeZrf7WnHLemv9q6l6o

This is a must win game. We have three away games after this against eels, knights & sharks (without origin players). The first two are definitely not going to be easy and it takes a miracle for us to beat sharks without origin players since they don’t have a single origin player themselves.

The rest will be good for Gillett and Oates.

Oates has a minor hip injury he could not recover from in the four days between Wednesday’s Origin victory for Queensland.

I would say he got that when he scored that try. You could tell when he got up that he did something. I thought he would be fine, though.

Kennar the little prop should help us starting sets. Hopefully plays well, haven't been to impressed with him in ISC

I can smell an upset.
The titans will come out fired up. If our guys think this will be easy they will lose it for sure.
The titans lost a winnable game to the cowboys, their 1 million $ half back is out under weeks of poor performances, and everyone is writing them off against big brother with us resting players. If we aren't on our game the titans will make us look stupid

I can smell an upset.
The titans will come out fired up. If our guys think this will be easy they will lose it for sure.
The titans lost a winnable game to the cowboys, their 1 million $ half back is out under weeks of poor performances, and everyone is writing them off against big brother with us resting players. If we aren't on our game the titans will make us look stupid

I think Seibs will have the boys mentally ready to go. I'm confident we will get the win.

Apparently peachy wants out back to Penrith. Hopefully he plays horrible

sensible decision with the Origin guys getting rest; perhaps the realisation that Ash Taylor won't play made that a little easier.

Cant say I've seen Kenner play before so I'm interested to see him.

But for me its this ;FIFITA TO START..!!!!!!!!!!

Please give him 60+ minutes today...he could absolutely carve up...

Kennar I think is just more low maintenance on short notice, and his forward impact will be greater than anyone else. I don't think Kennar has been great for Wynnum but what he has done has been low key and easy, made his tackles and hit ups off the wing.

good to know...really that's all you want from a debutant in a game like this...

Deardon and Shiba to score their maiden tries.
I hope so. Deardon has gone close a couple times, and a try or couple try assists could be what he needs to really kick on and secure himself in the number 7.

It's only the Titans, but I'm worried about our lack of strike power in the outside backs. Kennar, Shibasaki, Isaako...Staggs has the most potential, but he still hasn't crossed over for a try this year. When you have Oates, you kinda expect him to score a try just about every game.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Spoon
  • bert_lifts
  • mystico
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.