[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

I’d like the main focus to still be defence work though. We still missed 37 tackles and Cronulla made 8 line breaks. Against a top side that’s curtains for us.
We held the Sharks for three sets of 6 early in the game. This was a great improvement on games gone by. But I agree we need to fine tune our defensive structures even more.

I’d like the main focus to still be defence work though. We still missed 37 tackles and Cronulla made 8 line breaks. Against a top side that’s curtains for us.
You could have written that first line back in 2018 and just copied and pasted it again right now and no one would have noticed the difference. I seriously can't even remember the last time we had even a mediocre level of defence, let alone a good one.

Exactly. There were times when we looked as bad as usual but we somehow scrambled or Sharks made an error. Against other sides it would have been business as usual 30-40 points conceded.

in case anyone didn't see it Annersley has commented on the two controversial incidents out of this game.

1. Says that the refs made a mistake in not ruling a professional foul when Staggs was taken out without the ball

2. says the bunker was correct in intervening in the blatant forward pass try. say under the laws it was a knock on as he lost control then batted the ball on with his arm without regaining control. also played the audio of the bunker asking for the play to be referred where they initially asked for it to be checked for a knock on.

in case anyone didn't see it Annersley has commented on the two controversial incidents out of this game.

1. Says that the refs made a mistake in not ruling a professional foul when Staggs was taken out without the ball

2. says the bunker was correct in intervening in the blatant forward pass try. say under the laws it was a knock on as he lost control then batted the ball on with his arm without regaining control. also played the audio of the bunker asking for the play to be referred where they initially asked for it to be checked for a knock on.
Remember when the Sydney media tried to make 'Penalty Broncos' a thing :rofl

I think Ability wise Niu is similar to Walsh, he is similar age, size and has the same speed and skill just being in this team has had him low in confidence to make the risky plays that Walsh has been doing and incouraged to do.

I thought last year he was good but a bit too raw to come into a team playing as bad as we are but that run in ISC he has had since being dropped earlier seems to have helped his hunger atleast.

You could have written that first line back in 2018 and just copied and pasted it again right now and no one would have noticed the difference. I seriously can't even remember the last time we had even a mediocre level of defence, let alone a good one.

2015 bro.

I thought our defensive line speed was good in the first 15-20 mins and we were limiting the sharks metres but then we stopped and went back to the really slow/no line speed and that is when the sharks started generating momentum up the middle.

What helped us was that the sharks did not really test our edges. Their centres and wingers rarely got passed the ball, and when they did, they either scored (tracey's try), almost scored (ronaldo's loss over the line) or made breaks up the field (towards the end of the game).

I just hope a victory does not give us a false sense of security that our defence has improved as i think a higher quality team would have targeted these areas.

I think Ability wise Niu is similar to Walsh, he is similar age, size and has the same speed and skill just being in this team has had him low in confidence to make the risky plays that Walsh has been doing and incouraged to do.

I thought last year he was good but a bit too raw to come into a team playing as bad as we are but that run in ISC he has had since being dropped earlier seems to have helped his hunger atleast.
I really don’t agree here. Walsh is miles ahead of Niu, and Niu was very average in ISC. Seems to actually play better in the NRL.

Niu looks twice as solid as Walsh which will hopefully help his defense but yeah they are probably both similar in speed. Good over short distances but both have been chased down by faster players.
Walsh does seem more likely to create something though.

I really don’t agree here. Walsh is miles ahead of Niu, and Niu was very average in ISC. Seems to actually play better in the NRL.
Sure in lower grade(how much did Walsh even play in ISC?)

Walsh is better sure but like I said I think that comes down to Confidence, Walsh has been on cloud 9 coming into NRL that confidence has allowed him to take risks, I look at Niu and the skills he has and I just don't see that much difference outside the risks he is willing to make he definitely has an X factor to him.

It's a bit hard to believe but he is still a Teenager.

I'd still take Walsh over Niu 11 times out of 10.

And that's how you end up in salary cap trouble...unless you are the Storm, then you can have as many Walshes as you want.

And that's how you end up in salary cap trouble...unless you are the Storm, then you can have as many Walshes as you want.
I wouldn't take him at his current price, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he isn't running rings around Niu in a couple of years.

I wouldn't take him at his current price, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he isn't running rings around Niu in a couple of years.
I don't think he will, probably more exciting but definitely not running rings around him. He will be heavily targeted and if keeps pulling the trigger all the time he will be more of hindrance than a asset. I'm a huge fan of Walsh but he has a lot to learn, it just depends on if he's willing. Niu is slowly building he hasn't come out like a bull out of a gate , I think he'll surprise a lot of people if he continues to be given a chance. Either way it's early days for both.

I tend to agree.......it's a bit hard to know for sure at the moment with Niu's very limted appearances in the NRL. Walsh appears to be a classier player with more upside to his future than Niu has. Needs a bit more time before a proper judgement .....

I like Niu, I hope we stick with him at least into next year and then if he stagnates and Cobbos is killing it, swap them but if Niu continues his upward trajectory, who knows what he might end up becoming.

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.