vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair probably doesn't hold the same opinion of people on this board. He probably likes Tallis, and for someone you like to come out and blast you in the media for millions of people to see.. I imagine it wouldn't be something you could just ignore.
But a true champion would use the criticism to motivate himself to prove the doubter wrong.

Blair needs to rise above it ..... quickly.

Eden out for up to 6 weeks. PCL injury.

Kahu could return for this game, but he will need to convince the medical staff he is fit to play.

Macca is pretty much a certainty. All he has to do is get through Thursday's training session.

Glenn and Reed are not expected to return until after the bye.

Last edited:
If Kahu and Glen back - this could work

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Sua
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. Waddell
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillette
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. Pangai Jnr
16. Ofa
17. Nikorima

If Kahu and Glen back - this could work

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Sua
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. Waddell
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillette
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. Pangai Jnr
16. Ofa
17. Nikorima

Id say Maranta is a special to come back with all the injures.. Prefer Seve or Isaaco though. Why all the injuries and the Cowboys get off without any. Besides Morgan for a short period. OK I'll stop whinging now ☺

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Seve
4. Roberts
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Wallace
15. Pangai Jr
16. Ese'ese
17. Nikorima

No point risking Kahu when we have the bye after this round, bring Kahu, Glenn, Thaiday & Reed back after the bye and go on a winning streak.

Apparently Blair is soft then if he has let Tallis of all idiots get to him.

I don't think he is soft at all and I don't think it is the comments that have affected him, it is the impact it has had on his family especially the taunts that Tallis's comments have inspired.

I can understand it TBH, if it were me and my family it would have the same impact.

I don't think he is soft at all and I don't think it is the comments that have affected him, it is the impact it has had on his family especially the taunts that Tallis's comments have inspired.

I can understand it TBH, if it were me and my family it would have the same impact.

Good call B4L, I think you might be on the money.

From a personal point of view, I think it very much depends from whom the criticism comes. If it is from someone you admire and respect, or care for, it's hard to swallow and although you will want to prove them wrong, there's no doubt it will affect you for a while, in the same way it will affect you if your family takes the hit as well.

If the criticism is from a dickhead, I'm a fucking duck and it's water of my back.

P.S. Of course, I have never been chastised in public by a legend of the club I'm representing, for millions to see/hear... so there is that factor to add to it.

From a personal point of view, I think it very much depends from whom the criticism comes. If it is from someone you admire and respect, or care for, it's hard to swallow and although you will want to prove them wrong, there's no doubt it will affect you for a while, in the same way it will affect you if your family takes the hit as well.

If the criticism is from a dickhead, I'm a ****ing duck and it's water of my back.

P.S. Of course, I have never been chastised in public by a legend of the club I'm representing, for millions to see/hear... so there is that factor to add to it.

I think there is also the fact that it's always easier to fall out of good form than to regain it. It's in the past now, but he still needs that one good match to get back into the groove. He'll be right.

Id say Maranta is a special to come back with all the injures.. Prefer Seve or Isaaco though. Why all the injuries and the Cowboys get off without any. Besides Morgan for a short period. OK I'll stop whinging now ☺

maranta looked injured and a bit busted yesterday at norths and finished up on the wing so im not sure if he will come up. i did see pete nolan at the ground so i would assume he was keeping an eye on maranta, arrow and even molo. yesterday was one of franks better games in a long time, looked like his old self and maybe on the path back to nrl after last years horrific event.

maranta looked injured and a bit busted yesterday at norths and finished up on the wing so im not sure if he will come up. i did see pete nolan at the ground so i would assume he was keeping an eye on maranta, arrow and even molo. yesterday was one of franks better games in a long time, looked like his old self and maybe on the path back to nrl after last years horrific event.

Any guess on which outside back Bennett will go with this week mate?

If the criticism is from a dickhead, I'm a ****ing duck and it's water of my back.

Yep this is my view exactly. :)

It is definitely easy for me to criticise though as I haven't had this happen to me. I just hope Blair gets back to where he was last year, and just to be clear, I'm not even close to asking him to be dumped from the team yet.

Blair needs to go back to being a prop for a couple of weeks. By prop I mean just hit ups and not trying to be a ball player. Go for quick play the balls.

Another important game for us. We are now starting to lose touch with the top 3.

McCullough won't make a difference, it's not at hooker where we have floundered. Waddell has been excellent and put in another good performance last night following on from his previous two good performances. He made 57 tackles and only missed 5 which was way better than Gilletts 37 and 7 missed tackles. Considering he played 80 minutes I'd say it was every bit as good as McCulloughs efforts. When the fact that the Dogs have enormous forwards ,both starting and off the bench, is considered I'd have to say he was one of the Broncos best if not the best .

I beg to differ.

I reckon Macca will make a big difference, especially to Milford's and Hunt's games, as well as gelling both left and right side rucks. As many observe here, and for mine too, Macca may not be the greatest super skilled hooker going around but he's a key member of our spine who keeps the side together more than people give him credit - and separate to his defence in the middle.

Waddell has been great, but he hasn't got the years of experience or the instincts or nous of Macca.

As @Morkel posted elsewhere, and I think it is critical:

"What's been overlooked is marker play. Waddell is doing his best, but isn't McCullough. Macca knows the importance of getting in position quickly. And last year Blair excelled at not so much wrestling to slow down, but to position himself and the ball-carrier so he and the other marker are in position well before the ball is played. Without Macca, and with Blair clearly lacking in discipline this year, it's had a flow-on effect. Opposition ball-runners can run shoulder-to-shoulder with the hooker, meaning they get the ball fast and flat. They can then tuck in behind the ruck where the out-of-play markers leave gaps, meaning our whole line needs to effectively perform cover tackles. If leads to fatigue and another quick PTB with poorly positioned markers. Conversely, If the markers are in position they can shut this down, meaning the runners have to be wider, the passes are slower, the defence is set and another controlled tackle can be affected.

The good news is that it's only a tiny adjustment to fix. The bad news is that it needs intense discipline, and cohesion - two things that are lost when there are injuries and inexperienced players are brought in, and when confidence is low."

.... and speaking about Blair, then as @1910 posted elsewhere:

"
He doesn't ball play and his job isn't to make meters. Last night (' vs Dogs') he was poor but if you're waiting for him to make 200m a game he never will.

He's a good link to the backs and offload and generally strong in the ruck in defence and in cover across the park."

In short, Macca and Blair need to fire and I still cannot get my head around the fact that Hunt and Milford are not playing like they did last year.- ... and I don't think Bennett can either

Last edited:
I think one of the differences between this year and last is we haven't looked to offload as much this year and have thus looked very predictable. I thought we looked pretty good against the dogs when we started to play a bit of footy (albeit the game was over) and looked to offload and had men pushing up.

Seems so long ago when Hunt and Milford were sniffing around the ruck looking for a popped ball and splitting the defence with ease. I think we have played with too much caution this year and its getting worse because we are struggling Its a vicious circle

I've also thought that Waddell has done a great job individually.......but within the team dynamics and structure, we need Macca.

I beg to differ.

I reckon Macca will make a big difference, especially to Milford's and Hunt's games, as well as gelling both left and right side rucks. As many observe here, and for mine too, Macca may not be the greatest super skilled hooker going around but he's a key member of our spine who keeps the side together more than people give him credit - and separate to his defence in the middle.

Waddell has been great, but he hasn't got the years of experience or the instincts or nous of Macca.

As @Morkel posted elsewhere, and I think it is critical:

"What's been overlooked is marker play. Waddell is doing his best, but isn't McCullough. Macca knows the importance of getting in position quickly. And last year Blair excelled at not so much wrestling to slow down, but to position himself and the ball-carrier so he and the other marker are in position well before the ball is played. Without Macca, and with Blair clearly lacking in discipline this year, it's had a flow-on effect. Opposition ball-runners can run shoulder-to-shoulder with the hooker, meaning they get the ball fast and flat. They can then tuck in behind the ruck where the out-of-play markers leave gaps, meaning our whole line needs to effectively perform cover tackles. If leads to fatigue and another quick PTB with poorly positioned markers. Conversely, If the markers are in position they can shut this down, meaning the runners have to be wider, the passes are slower, the defence is set and another controlled tackle can be affected.

The good news is that it's only a tiny adjustment to fix. The bad news is that it needs intense discipline, and cohesion - two things that are lost when there are injuries and inexperienced players are brought in, and when confidence is low."

.... and speaking about Blair, then as @1910 posted elsewhere:

"
He doesn't ball play and his job isn't to make meters. Last night (' vs Dogs') he was poor but if you're waiting for him to make 200m a game he never will.

He's a good link to the backs and offload and generally strong in the ruck in defence and in cover across the park."

In short, Macca and Blair need to fire and I still cannot get my head around the fact that Hunt and Milford are not playing like they did last year.- ... and I don't think Bennett can either
Well, you're entitled to your opinion . Waddell's service has been fine with Hunt and the others getting the ball when needed. If the only change is McCullough in and Waddell out then I don't believe anything will change. McCullough barely plays 55 minutes and when he comes back it's unlikely he'll play big minutes. I remember McCullough look truly pedestrian in 2014 when Granville came on and lit the place up. McCullough was always slow off the mark and his service was only adequate but that said he was better in 2015.

You may well be right and McCullough may be the magic beans but I think we will need a hell of a lot more than our old hookerback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • barker
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • Rowdy124
  • JamesC
  • Galah
  • NSW stables
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.