PRE-GAME [Round 18, 2024] Broncos vs Panthers

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You can't throw an 18 year old into this team. He needs support for his career, not to have the pressure of the Broncos on his back.
No one is really saying we should. Only that he's the best long term prospect we have. So when do we bring him in given Reynolds could retire at any minute, and the current understudy is tits on a bull?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It’s actually not a bad idea if we can’t find a backrower from somewhere to fill the void
I'm not against this. Maybe Kotoni is the new Kurt Capewell, and we can field another centre beside him. Pair him with Karapani, maybe. Or Jesse. That would allow us to put a pure forward on the bench, with Kotoni covering the backs in case of injury.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Bring in Rodgers, drop Madden. Give a rocket to Ezra and Staggs.
I'll be happy if we don't concede 40 against a Penrith side without Cleary.
If its a big loss then it could really, really hurt this group. It's going to be a tough one.
Yes, why have Rogers in development if serial failure from Madden can't trigger his promotion?

A big enough loss to Penrith could see us in the bottom four shortly.

Brett Da Man LeMan

Brett Da Man LeMan

QCup Player
Aug 11, 2023
The u19 origin he booted the **** out of it. Kicked a 40/20 from the 30 metre line also.

But other than kicking he didn’t show much else.
Mam kicked a 40/20 last night like it was nothing. Then he never tried it again. Why the **** isn't he doing that once or twice a HALF, let alone a game.

Donald Garner

Donald Garner

NRL Player
Feb 5, 2017
I actually think we win this game.

I haven’t been confident of winning a game since we barely beat manly by 1 point but for some reason I just think we can win this one. I don’t think Penrith will flog us that’s for sure. It will be much tighter than most think.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Broncos Head Of Performance Dave Ballard:

"Jack was taken to hospital in Auckland last night where an x-ray confirmed he sustained a broken arm. We would expect Jack to miss up to eight weeks while his arm heals. Fletcher picked up an MCL injury in his knee and will be scanned once we return to Brisbane.”​

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
With the lack of backrow depth, does Staggs get moved to backrow? He pretty much plays like a backrower anyway.

Mogg did it for two weeks right at the start of his career. He was really impactful.

He slaughtered Blackhawks the first time he did it, it was only his second ISC game.

29 tackles
0 misses
Try
18 points
1 line break
1 try assist
1 line break assist

www.qrl.com.au

Intrust Super Cup Round 4 Highlights: Dolphins v Blackhawks

Coming off back-to-back losses; the Townsville Blackhawks were looking regain their winning way against the Redcliffe Dolphins.
www.qrl.com.au
www.qrl.com.au

One more game and then back to the centres.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
How long do you want to persist losing with Madden?
The only issue is as soon as you drop him back to cup it kills the confidence of the kid. I want to see him play a game where we have 50-50 possession and see how he goes.

Same goes for Mam. He and madden have both been equally shit I think but in hindsight, what can you expect when we have the ball 40% of the time. In a massive positive, it seems Mam is defending alot better which was his biggest weakness.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The only issue is as soon as you drop him back to cup it kills the confidence of the kid. I want to see him play a game where we have 50-50 possession and see how he goes.

Same goes for Mam. He and madden have both been equally shit I think but in hindsight, what can you expect when we have the ball 40% of the time. In a massive positive, it seems Mam is defending alot better which was his biggest weakness.
Mam is one of our marquee players you've decided to bash twenty times a day, while sticking up for another character who is vastly inferior simply because he's cheaper. You cannot conflate him with Madden, who is auditioning for Reynold's job. Mam has not flourished in Reyno's absence, but he's no dud.

The sooner we cut Madden loose the sooner we start building our attack around Reyno's successor. One ESL forum mod is hallucinating I'm calling for Black immediately, while I've been saying he's not ready. But at the same time he's the only one on our books who looks remotely like winding up in that role.

I don't have a replacement for Madden other than Rogers, who is currently in development. I suggest we drop him in for a few games. And if he doesn't look like working out, he can get cleared from our books along with Madden. We don't have a lot of time left to sort this out.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Mam is one of our marquee players you've decided to bash twenty times a day, while sticking up for another character who is vastly inferior simply because he's cheaper. You cannot conflate him with Madden, who is auditioning for Reynold's job. Mam has not flourished in Reyno's absence, but he's no dud.

The sooner we cut Madden loose the sooner we start building our attack around Reyno's successor. One ESL forum mod is hallucinating I'm calling for Black immediately, while I've been saying he's not ready. But at the same time he's the only one on our books who looks remotely like winding up in that role.

I don't have a replacement for Madden other than Rogers, who is currently in development. I suggest we drop him in for a few games. And if he doesn't look like working out, he can get cleared from our books along with Madden. We don't have a lot of time left to sort this out.
I think they are probably on par but realistically in terms of performance for the last four rounds. I do expect more from our marquee man. When he was on 250-300k per season maybe not but when he's taking up a percentage of the cap it's not acceptable. I can't see him being shit for long though. Too much class himself and the players around him are also very good.

Just like the buck stops with kevy, our marquee players can't be shit for 17 rounds of the season and not expect some heat from the fans.

Giving Black the keys to the teams attack is a bad idea. He's not going to dominate our forward pack even though I'd almost guarantee he decides to at least complete our sets with a kick.

It's not the kevy way to bring in young players in a struggling team.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think they are probably on par but realistically in terms of performance for the last four rounds. I do expect more from our marquee man. When he was on 250-300k per season maybe not but when he's taking up a percentage of the cap it's not acceptable. I can't see him being shit for long though. Too much class himself and the players around him are also very good.

Just like the buck stops with kevy, our marquee players can't be shit for 17 rounds of the season and not expect some heat from the fans.

Giving Black the keys to the teams attack is a bad idea. He's not going to dominate our forward pack even though I'd almost guarantee he decides to at least complete our sets with a kick.

It's not the kevy way to bring in young players in a struggling team.
You keep saying Ezra is "shit." You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I think he's failed to step into the management role vacated by Reynolds - which was never his remit, but he does aspire to - and I think he has become a marked man since his breakout year, which has nobbled his freedom, and limited his attack. I am sure when Walsh returns their combination will return. They just need to hang onto the pill.

If you shut down Walsh or Mam, you shut down the Broncos. It's that easy. Blame the coach for that.

How many times do I need to say I'm not suggesting Black this year, only that he seems like the only candidate we have in the longer term? I'm also saying Black might not be the future. And we have less than a year to find that out.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
You keep saying Ezra is "shit." You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I think he's failed to step into the management role vacated by Reynolds - which was never his remit, but he does aspire to - and I think he has become a marked man since his breakout year, which has nobbled his freedom, and limited his attack. I am sure when Walsh returns their combination will return. They just need to hang onto the pill.

If you shut down Walsh or Mam, you shut down the Broncos. It's that easy. Blame the coach for that.

How many times do I need to say I'm not suggesting Black this year, only that he seems like the only candidate we have in the longer term? I'm also saying Black might not be the future. And we have less than a year to find that out.
Yeah I don't think he's shit. He's playing shit. As I said, he has alot of class and I think his slump in form is temporary. He's not worth the money at the moment but I'm optimistic he will come good when we get some more possession. Also it's true what you say. Part of his brilliance is reliant on defense not knowing if the ball is going to go to him, walsh, cobbo or staggs. All of them a threat. With walsh being out and Madden seemingly afraid to dig into the line, he gets **** all space and there is **** all threat to our attack. I think he should be owning both sides of the field while reynolds is gone, similar to the night that rogers played.

He's by far not our worst out there but we really can't afford our marquee players making poor choices during the limited opportunities we get. Specifically when he's the most expensive player on the field. It's why he's paid the big bucks.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think if you’re expecting a 31 game halfback to carry this team on his shoulders and dig us out of this mess, you’re kidding yourself.

It’s not happening, not without support and he’s not getting it.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I think if you’re expecting a 31 game halfback to carry this team on his shoulders and dig us out of this mess, you’re kidding yourself.

Exactly. If the Panthers and storm arguments are used, their half's have all played 150 games and can support a rookie. Ours have combined played like 60 games of football. It's not possible for them to perform at the same level and expect the same results

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Mam has played well, in my opinion.

Just because we get belted doesn't make our halves instantly shit, we barely got the ball in the first half.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

It's the expectation because that's what Reynolds has basically done.

It's an unrealistic expectation and something I disagree with but it's the expectation throughout the fanbase, it appears.

Unread

Active Now

• Redfern_1980
  • Mr Fourex
  • Swordfish
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skathen
  • MrMoore
  • Accept
  • Fozz
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tristan1990
  • RolledOates
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
  • Santa
  • Robboi_321
  • Midean
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.