Round 19

Haha, I understood it before too. I'd still prefer DCE, but Johnson is definitely second on my list of halves I want here.
I'd be thrilled with either :thumbup1:

Geez the Warriors are on a roll, coming good at the right time of year. I reckon we'll get a Warrior soon.

Masterclass performance by Johnson he set up or scored all the Warriors points, the Broncos need to sign him asap. I didn't think it was a bad game some good ball movement, strong defense and barnstorming hit ups.

During tipping I tipped the Warriors to win by 10 in the margin and bingo I got it right for the first time :thumbup1:.

Last edited:
Remember when people used to make jokes about painful to watch games involving Parra, Canberra and the like?

They were right.

Raiders/Eels has been a dog's breakfast.

Terrible conditions and both teams don't know how to handle them.

LOL Alec, great minds.

Roosters have now kept teams scoreless 5 times this season. Quite incredible really.

Souths haven't kept a team scoreless in 292 games (back to 1999) which is the 6th longest streak for conceding points. Of the current teams, the Broncos are second on that list, having conceded points in the past 176 games. :(

That really made my night the Sharks were crap but the Roosters were outstanding all across the park.

Pretty bad refs call in the Panthers vs Knights match. Dean Whare made a great effort to score the try with his body going over the sideline in the air and was sent up stairs given try. In the replay his fingers are clearly seen sliding across the sideline but they didn't overturn the original decision.

Gower has scored the Knights will go up by 8. Gower's first NRL try since round 21 2007.

I've been thinking that some of the current NSW halfbacks are very similar in style to some of the ones going around 10 or so years ago.

Walsh is pretty much exactly Gower.
Adam Reynolds is pretty much exactly Sherwin.
Pearce is very similar to Kimmorley.

I've been thinking that some of the current NSW halfbacks are very similar in style to some of the ones going around 10 or so years ago.

Walsh is pretty much exactly Gower.
Adam Reynolds is pretty much exactly Sherwin.
Pearce is very similar to Kimmorley.

I thought kimmorley was pretty good though

They are similar in style, both heavily relied on flat running back rowers.

Not a bad comparison Alec, I disagree on the Gower/Walsh though.

Besides from representing both Newcastle and Penrith I don't think Gower or Walsh share any similarities.

Gower was hooker turned halfback who basically made it big because he kept backing himself. He wasn't really the most talented, but at one point he definitely became the most confident.

Walsh on the other hand was always a half who's biggest issues is his decision making.

Better comparison would be Gower and J. Reynolds. Both even represented NSW off the bench.

Last edited:
I think Gower and Walsh both had organising as their biggest strengths in their prime, but who struggled coming up with plays to score points.
I don't think JReynolds is anything like either though. He is a strong ball runner and support player, but just like Maloney, that's all he is. He isn't a particularly good ball player or organiser.

Gower's strength was his ability to take it to the line and back himself - his organisational skills were bare and were exposed by 04-05. For mine his background and traits have more in common with Reynolds than Walsh who is more your traditional halfback who lacks the instincts of a half.

Walsh is more like a Willie Peters/Mat Head/Brett Firman

Last edited:
Trivial arguments about interesting hypothetical comparisons aside (:laugh: sorry Al, I get caught up in those discussions) I'd have to say this was perhaps the most predictable week in Rugby League. Barring a Dragons upset on Monday (which might happen with GI out...) there really isn't a whole lot to write home about - the form teams won and it seems like we have a set top 4.

I thought both Penrith tries were pretty screwy. Whare's was a contender for worst referee decision of the year and I even thought Newton's put down was very iffy. Thankfully it didn't prohibit the better team on the day. Boyd in particular seemed to start where he left off on Wednesday and put forward one of his better games of the year.

Meanwhile, Manly accounted for an understrength Titans side fairly easily. To their credit, Titans put up a fight but without Idris, Myles & Bird they were always going to struggle. Even Zillman and Takairangi would have been handy additions. Credit to the Sea Eagles though, at full flight they play an entertaining brand of footy and have a well balanced outfit. If most of them represented another club, I reckon they'd be a more popular side...but they're not.

We're going to golden point...

OH for Peats sake! We might not be. Dragons scrum 20m out from the line.

So close to a perfect week...

God dammit Rabbitohs!

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • jarro65
  • Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • Foordy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.