POST GAME [Round 25, 2024] Broncos vs Eels

Just catching up reading old threads and saw the posts about the gates not opening until late. We walked past the corporate entry about 6:30 or so and a couple of fire trucks rocked up lights and sirens and half a dozen firies walked in that entrance. Obviously some sort of fire alarm.

It was a false alarm that caused the delay. They're not sure why the fire alarms went off but there wasn't any fire apparently.

Just watched the first 20 minutes of this game. It really was a shit stacked performance from the referee. He missed everything against the Broncos, it was bizarre.

Sivo literally pulls Cobbos shoulder and he lands on his ribs mid air. Would ordinarily be a penalty - scored off the back of it
Gutho tries to offload and loses the ball into billy - 6 more tackles to eels. - scored off the back of it
Reynolds 40-20 not called
Sailors double knock on from Brown

Seriously in 20 minutes it was every single call that could possibly go against us did. I have never seen anything like it.

Just watched the first 20 minutes of this game. It really was a shit stacked performance from the referee. He missed everything against the Broncos, it was bizarre.

Sivo literally pulls Cobbos shoulder and he lands on his ribs mid air. Would ordinarily be a penalty - scored off the back of it
Gutho tries to offload and loses the ball into billy - 6 more tackles to eels. - scored off the back of it
Reynolds 40-20 not called
Sailors double knock on from Brown

Seriously in 20 minutes it was every single call that could possibly go against us did. I have never seen anything like it.
It was a shocking ref performance, that said we seriously lacked the ability to defend our way off the bad calls.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Slothfield has reported that after the match, Barrett visited our dressing room.

Watching the replay, that first 15 minutes was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen and I've seen plenty of bad ones. If continued to be hit and miss then for the rest of the game too but honestly, Parra could have been throwing quarterback passes and playing AFL with the bounce rule and still wouldn't have been called for anything.

The calls definitely went in the favour of the Eels, but outside of the Gutherson knock on they were all tough decisions. The rules around competing for the air are always murky and while I thought Sivo had over-stepped his bounds, it wasn't glaringly obvious. The touchie had the best angle and would had to have called it.

40/20 was one of those instances where a captain's challenge would have been useful but you couldn't call it. To the naked eye it was a close call.

The Dylan Brown-Tristan Sailor knock-on happened after 15 minutes but if we're grouping that in, Dylan Brown taps it up and then finishes infront of the ball. Optically I could see why the officials would go with the benefit of the doubt to the Eels. Brown turns his back before he knocks the ball up and finishes infront of the ball when it bounces. Conventional wisdom would suggest that if the ball hasn't travelled blatantly backwards it should be a knock-on but the officials tend to provide more leeway these days.

As always, teams have to try to take the officials out of it. Instead of whinging about Sivo interfering with Cobbo in the air, the focus should be on the opening defensive set and how the Broncos allowed the Eels to put in an attacking kick. Focus on the edge defence and how the centre and wings didn't work together or how lax the defence was when Russell was able to keep the ball alive for Gutherson to kick through.

Eels second try also should have been taken off them.

It touches Mariner's arm before he regathers it.

Why Butler couldn't see that, I have no idea.

Vlcsnap 2024 08 29 14h02m00s471

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Mick_Hancock
  • pagey
  • Battler
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • lakers133334
  • Brocko
  • Skyblues87
  • Dexter
  • Alec
  • Johnny92
  • Scorchie
  • Browny
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • rj9
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.