Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
BREAKING: @TrentMerrin in doubt for @PenrithPanthers with a virus - suspected glandular fever. And Te Maire Martin OFFICIALLY in

From The Mole on Twitter.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Merrin will need something special if he wants to play, glandula really takes it out of you.

Daniel Dowell

Daniel Dowell

Banned User
Dec 6, 2013
I know a young fella at the West Coast Eagles who got that early last year and is still battling it now and on long term injury list. Prayers to Trent and family. I hope he gets better soon.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Merrin will be out for awhile if he has glandular. Our odds just shortened considerably.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Merrin will be out for awhile if he has glandular. Our odds just shortened considerably.

Couple of weeks.

The symptoms don't last long. He could still play, he just probably wouldn't play for as long as he usually does. It depends.. For some people, the fatigue factor isn't that bad.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Before this turns into WebMD, glandular fever affects everyone different. Some people get completely flawed by it, some people get as affected as the do by a cold or flu.

My girlfriend at uni had it and it really knocked her around, some days she could barely get out of bed. They tested me just to make sure I didn't have it and it turns out I had already had it years ago, I didn't even realise.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Been a bit clunky last couple of weeks, second half last week started looking better... Be good to see some form starting to build tonight and again next week for the Cowboys, even though it's only round 4 I really really want to beat the bloody Cowboys

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
If Merrin is out, it could prove to be a fatal blow to the Panthers chances. The Panthers rely heavily on their second-phase play and Trent's ability to hit-and-spin makes him one of the best exponents of the offload in the game. While they still have Cartwright, Peachey and Latimore who are capable of getting an arm free, they'll miss Trent's mobility in the ruck.

If he is gone, I suspect we'll see Elijah Taylor into the starting 13 with James Fisher-Harris on the bench. Taylor's inclusion could allow the Panthers to play a more expansive game and more tenacity in defence but they'll need Mansour, Hiku and DWZ to run the ball more if they want to make metres through the middle.

The inclusion of Te Maire Martin interests me. He was one of the better NYC prospects to emerge in recent years and has all the skills. Physically I can see him struggling at times this season but in this instance the pros out-weigh the cons. The Panthers relied too heavily on Wallace's dummy-half play and Soward's last tackle kicking game, to the point where it cost them dearly. Martin should add another string to the Panthers bow but it remains to be seen whether he'll receive the support he requires. Players like Tyrone Peachey and Bryce Cartwright are skillful but they need to resist the urge to overplay their hand.

If Merrin does miss the game, I wouldn't put it pass Griffin to give young gun Sione Katoa a shot. He's sort of in that Nathan Peats mould, a dummy half who can also double as a backrow. Considering Akauola only received 21 minutes last week, he would have to be the guy to go. Of course it all depends on the fitness of Katoa. He suffered a MCL tear during the pre-season, so he may not be ready for the rigors of first grade just yet. If that's the case they may bring in Chris Smith with a view to play Peachey as a back-up dummy half.

Another player who may receive a shot is Leilani Latu. He was one of the few positives during the Panthers poor end to the season and would pose more of a threat than Latimore who's carries have been lacking as of late.

For the Broncos, I don't think they need to change all that much in order to win. Just try and isolate the edges, use Hunt and Milford's running game and play off the back of that. They'll crack just as long as the Broncos remove those costly handling errors out of their game.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The last time we won in Penrith was 2009.

Hopefully, that changes tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • winslow_wong
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • Lostboy
  • Fitzy
  • lynx000
  • IceWorks
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.