Round 5 Discussion

Souths are the smart money for the premiership no doubt.

Poor old Nathan Brown, his go to excuse of blaming WB has expired along with his coaching carreer.

He didn't need to do much recruiting though. That is a ready made team to compete for a premiership, and Madge deserves credit for that.

I have said this several times. Bennett was very smart to go to Souths at this time.
A good solid forward pack made for his simple style of footy, a great balanced spine with Reynolds taking care of the "boring game management shit", Cody Walker the talented evasive running 5/8, both being fed quality ball from a hooker who is a danger all by himself and continuously puts his forwards over the advantage line. If they had a truly classy Fullback (or Inglis back healthy), I would rank them with cheats and grubs up there, and even then, they aren't far away.

Seibold failed to address the Rabbitohs biggest deficiency which was their bench. Last year when it was all on the line, Seibold didn't have anybody to turn to and ultimately their pack ran out of steam when they had the Roosters on the ropes. Bennett has recognised this and a lot of his recruitment has centred around fixing that issue.

The other concern is that the senior members are in the twilight of their careers and Seibold did little to address the future. The only genuine prospect he brought in was Corey Allan, the rest of the squad is looking extremely shabby.

**** me the NRL is soft, McGuire gets a $3350 fine for the eye gouge

I don’t think it was done with much force. More of a thing between mates. I know I did it to a schoolmate during club rugby. He got angry but when he realised it was me laughed it off because he wasn’t actually hurt.

**** me the class of the Roosters makes our mob look like a gaggle of ducks fighting over bread.

EDIT: Well the class of Cronk anyway...

Last edited:
Seibold failed to address the Rabbitohs biggest deficiency which was their bench. Last year when it was all on the line, Seibold didn't have anybody to turn to and ultimately their pack ran out of steam when they had the Roosters on the ropes. Bennett has recognised this and a lot of his recruitment has centred around fixing that issue.

The other concern is that the senior members are in the twilight of their careers and Seibold did little to address the future. The only genuine prospect he brought in was Corey Allan, the rest of the squad is looking extremely shabby.
I'm sorry, twilight of their career... did you mistype prime of their career?

Outside of John Sutton, Greg Inglis is the only player that suits the description, and like you said, Corey Allen was brought to the club. The halves and hooker are in their late 20s, the Burgi twins still have a good 5 years in them, Sam is also not showing signs of slowing down, Cam Murray is coming along and there are few other younger players showing promissing signs, both in the forwards and backline, and a number of less fancy, but reliable enough backups in the roster.

Wayne got Liam Knight (who still has to prove himself) and Ethan Lowe, who is in the same age bracket as all of the above. How is that fixing the (non-existent) issue?

I'm sorry, twilight of their career... did you mistype prime of their career?

Outside of John Sutton, Greg Inglis is the only player that suits the description, and like you said, Corey Allen was brought to the club. The halves and hooker are in their late 20s, the Burgi twins still have a good 5 years in them, Sam is also not showing signs of slowing down, Cam Murray is coming along and there are few other younger players showing promissing signs, both in the forwards and backline, and a number of less fancy, but reliable enough backups in the roster.

Wayne got Liam Knight (who still has to prove himself) and Ethan Lowe, who is in the same age bracket as all of the above. How is that fixing the (non-existent) issue?

The signing of Knight and Lowe addressed a major flaw in South Sydney's 2018 campaign, their bench rotation. Towards the end of the season, Seibold didn't trust his bench when Souths desperately needed fresh troops onto the field.

The senior players are closer to the end of their careers than the start of it. They're currently on a high, but we've seen plenty of lows in recent years and by 2020-21 can't solely be relied on. They've got Campbell Graham and Cameron Murray who are both really good players as you say, but they need more than that.

What I found really concerning about Souths juniors is that all their teams from Harold Matts to NSW Cup missed the play-offs last year. Under Seibold, I didn't see a lot of change, which is concerning as a Broncos fan since one of the key reasons he was brought to the club was due to his proficiency of developing players.

The signing of Knight and Lowe addressed a major flaw in South Sydney's 2018 campaign, their bench rotation. Towards the end of the season, Seibold didn't trust his bench when Souths desperately needed fresh troops onto the field.
Hindsight is wonderful, but useless. That "major flaw" is not exactly something that could've been predicted or planned for ahead of time, especially given the amount of injuries they had in the forwards. Besides, the players WB has relied most upon for the bench this season were players brought through by Seibold last season.

The senior players are closer to the end of their careers than the start of it. They're currently on a high, but we've seen plenty of lows in recent years and by 2020-21 can't solely be relied on. They've got Campbell Graham and Cameron Murray who are both really good players as you say, but they need more than that.
Having the majority of the team's best players in their prime, but calling it twilight (or closer to the end) of their career, is at the very least grasping at straws.

Souths roster is one of the most well balanced in the competition, in terms of experience, talent and youth. Most of the credit goes to Madge (and his assistant Seibold), and they do have a few more youngsters waiting for their chance than you imply, all capable replacements for pretty much every position in the roster.

What I found really concerning about Souths juniors is that all their teams from Harold Matts to NSW Cup missed the play-offs last year. Under Seibold, I didn't see a lot of change, which is concerning as a Broncos fan since one of the key reasons he was brought to the club was due to his proficiency of developing players.
I don't find that concerning at all. They have the next 3-5 years well and truly covered, and every club has lean junior years. Judging a NRL head coach on 1 bad juniors year is again... grasping at straws.

Hindsight is wonderful, but useless. That "major flaw" is not exactly something that could've been predicted or planned for ahead of time, especially given the amount of injuries they had in the forwards. Besides, the players WB has relied most upon for the bench this season were players brought through by Seibold last season.

Having the majority of the team's best players in their prime, but calling it twilight (or closer to the end) of their career, is at the very least grasping at straws.

Souths roster is one of the most well balanced in the competition, in terms of experience, talent and youth. Most of the credit goes to Madge (and his assistant Seibold), and they do have a few more youngsters waiting for their chance than you imply, all capable replacements for pretty much every position in the roster.

I don't find that concerning at all. They have the next 3-5 years well and truly covered, and every club has lean junior years. Judging a NRL head coach on 1 bad juniors year is again... grasping at straws.

It isn't hindsight it was apparent during the season and was only going to get worse following the departures of Clark and Crichton.

The only genuine prospect Seibold signed last year was Corey Allan and it's too early to make a call on his signing just yet. The rest were all overlooked for other players who have made a nice difference to the side.

@Kimlo made a fair point and until Seibold starts making some decent recruitment decisions at the Broncos, I have to question his capacity to manage a roster. His best 'signing' to date is Tevita Tatola whose biggest play so far was hitting Cooper Cronk late and getting away with it.

He was also one of my favourite players, the turning point for me was him dogging Queensland a couple of weeks before Origin last year.

I can't think of any reason he did that, apart from thinking the players that were going to be around him weren't going to be good enough to sustain his almighty Origin win %.

Well there are rumours out there about why he did it and they make sense.

**** the Bulldogs. Go from competing well against the Storm to getting smashed by the Dragons. Last time I tip them.

And now Hunt is comfortably outplaying both our halves. This year just keeps getting better lol

Add Norman to the list...god this week gets worse

Active Now

• Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • broncs30
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Morepudding
  • something
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • eggstar10
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Don
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.