Round 5 Discussion

Moses has been awful. They have had so much ball and he hasnt shown anything

2 quality FB's. Makes such a difference

Griffin is a coach who'll more often than not have you make the 8 ... he'll make you a competitive side

however, i doubt he is a coach that'll ever get you a premiership

Tough thing for them now is to back that up against a side like the Warriors.

Maybe we shouldn’t have got rid of Hook.

Hooks had 3 goes now .
Helped build our side then WB took us to a gf. Helped Penriff get their shit together and they lost a gf , now is doing the same at Saints after they have been atrocious for years.
He is certainly building a reputation that will keep him coaching for a long time .
I dont get the Griffin hate at all.
I'm sure he has made mistakes especially early in his career like most coaches.

Griffin is a coach who'll more often than not have you make the 8 ... he'll make you a competitive side

however, i doubt he is a coach that'll ever get you a premiership
We may never find out but he said from the start with the Broncs that 2015 was his premiership window.
Penrith recruited him to build a squad and sort out there football structure which he did.
Both times he did the hard yards and was axed before the big dance so I think it's a little unfair to say he cant do it.

Hooks had 3 goes now .
Helped build our side then WB took us to a gf. Helped Penriff get their shit together and they lost a gf , now is doing the same at Saints after they have been atrocious for years.
He is certainly building a reputation that will keep him coaching for a long time .
I dont get the Griffin hate at all.
I'm sure he has made mistakes especially early in his career like most coaches.

This is exactly why he was my choice for coach going into this year. I thought he was punted too soon the first time at the Broncs.

I think the key to the Dragons is that they understand their roles and they're buying into a simple but effective gameplan. Under Mary I'm not sure what it was but he had it in for Dufty and would go to ridiculous lengths to keep him out of the team. Didn't it get to the point where they banned him from picking the team?

They've certainly found themselves in a good position moving forward. Their draw is very generous, they don't have to face the Eels again and they only have to face Penrith, Melbourne and Canberra once. They do have to face the Rabbitohs, but it's in Round 20 and Round 25 respectively. That Round 25 game could effectively be a bye as well depending on the ladder. Still plenty of water left to go under the bridge but of those middle of the road teams, they're looking likely for a 7th or 8th spot.

Otherwise I've got very mixed feelings on Hook. He didn't build anything at the Broncos, the majority of the talent was already at the club when he got here and most of them were blooded as well. He held the fort together and the only real shame is that he didn't get a chance to work with some of the NYC players who were coming through.

It's not something I've kept an eye on, but Hook's bench management used to be awful. We talk about Kevie but Hook effectively had Brisbane using 13 players, the guys on the bench barely got a go and he rarely used it as a development tool.

At Penrith he basically stole Ivan's seat. Ivan shipped off all the senior players on over-inflated contracts, had to make do with whatever spare parts he could find on the player market and was basically biding his time until their gun NYC players came of age. Somehow he got them to a prelim, but after one horrific season where they had injury after injury Gould felt he was all used up and got in another 'development' coach. The same coach he was constantly meddling with since Gus was a huge Moneyball fan and really wanted to be Billy Beane. To be fair, Hook does act like the movie version of Art Howe.

He had so many good young talents to work with, but Penrith just never seemed to learn their lesson. Playing from 14 points down making the same basic errors and going through young talent after young talent, bringing in more over-paid senior players. They were the best at winning ugly, but that was only ever going to get them so far.

I think the key to the Dragons is that they understand their roles and they're buying into a simple but effective gameplan. Under Mary I'm not sure what it was but he had it in for Dufty and would go to ridiculous lengths to keep him out of the team. Didn't it get to the point where they banned him from picking the team?

They've certainly found themselves in a good position moving forward. Their draw is very generous, they don't have to face the Eels again and they only have to face Penrith, Melbourne and Canberra once. They do have to face the Rabbitohs, but it's in Round 20 and Round 25 respectively. That Round 25 game could effectively be a bye as well depending on the ladder. Still plenty of water left to go under the bridge but of those middle of the road teams, they're looking likely for a 7th or 8th spot.

Otherwise I've got very mixed feelings on Hook. He didn't build anything at the Broncos, the majority of the talent was already at the club when he got here and most of them were blooded as well. He held the fort together and the only real shame is that he didn't get a chance to work with some of the NYC players who were coming through.

It's not something I've kept an eye on, but Hook's bench management used to be awful. We talk about Kevie but Hook effectively had Brisbane using 13 players, the guys on the bench barely got a go and he rarely used it as a development tool.

At Penrith he basically stole Ivan's seat. Ivan shipped off all the senior players on over-inflated contracts, had to make do with whatever spare parts he could find on the player market and was basically biding his time until their gun NYC players came of age. Somehow he got them to a prelim, but after one horrific season where they had injury after injury Gould felt he was all used up and got in another 'development' coach. The same coach he was constantly meddling with since Gus was a huge Moneyball fan and really wanted to be Billy Beane. To be fair, Hook does act like the movie version of Art Howe.

He had so many good young talents to work with, but Penrith just never seemed to learn their lesson. Playing from 14 points down making the same basic errors and going through young talent after young talent, bringing in more over-paid senior players. They were the best at winning ugly, but that was only ever going to get them so far.
I'm using a different filter to you then pete
Didn't he coach that 2008 20s side that had Hunt, McGuire, macca , Glenn , yo yeh, Hoffman, Lui and Dodds.
Then he brought them into the NRL and signed Milf in 2013 .
I'm not saying he is a super coach or even close , but credit where it's due.
I thought we were a massive chance of winning the comp in 2011
as well until Locky was taken out by Beale and that was after we missed the finals the year before under Henjak

Didn't he coach that 2008 20s side that had Hunt, McGuire, macca , Glenn , yo yeh, Hoffman, Lui and Dodds.
as well until Locky was taken out by Beale and that was after we missed the finals the year before under Henjak
Yeh Beale's knee to Locky's eye socket was a real sliding doors moment. Nothing in life is for sure, but I thought at the time if we managed to get past St George then we had the measure of the rest. If we had gone on to win that GF Hook might still be our coach with his own dynasty.

He seems to have learned from early role. Hook may well not win you a premiership but st both clubs he’s been removed before he’s had the chance really. Plus he’s an experienced coach now who knows who to be better in the now and build in systems for the future, thus is exactly what the Broncos need, not a rookie coach leading around a team of rookies.

Hook coached them in the 20s, but it was Henjak who blooded the vast majority of them. He had to cop the early teething issues and floggings, but managed to turn things around against the Storm in the first ever AAMI Park game where Brisbane were missing a stack of players. Brisbane were actually on track to make the finals which would have been a real achievement considering the state of the roster but Lockyer got injured against the Cowboys and the team just fell apart after that.

Then Henjak did the majority of the 2011 pre-season and even coached them in a trial before White flicked him for Hook. While Hook deserves some credit, I think coming in after Ivan did all the hard work puts an asterix next to it. I thought Brisbane were always comfortably behind Melbourne and Manly.

That's the frustrating thing with discussing Hook because yes he did some nice things. He did a really good job with the 20s and even the turn-around in 2010 coincided when he replaced Peter Ryan as the defensive coach. However people try to give him too much credit for 'building' the team when his recruitment and development of players was surprisingly poor. I'm probably on record of defending Ivan, but at the time I remember writing that if he was to go, I'd want Hook as coach.

He seems to have learned from early role. Hook may well not win you a premiership but st both clubs he’s been removed before he’s had the chance really. Plus he’s an experienced coach now who knows who to be better in the now and build in systems for the future, thus is exactly what the Broncos need, not a rookie coach leading around a team of rookies.
It wouldn't have been a good fit for either party. Hook needed to make an instant impact right away but he was going to be put in charge of a club that was at rock bottom with limited resources. At least at the Dragons he had a few players he worked with in the past and they had some wriggle room for him to jump at these signings. So far it's worked out well for him, but don't be shocked when it all ends in tears.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ozzball
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Stix
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • MrMoore
  • Manlyman
  • whykickamoocow
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.